The QuickBooks software’s multi-user mode is one of its best features. The QuickBooks Desktop has been developed in a certain way that it can be used in a multi-user mode. The implication is that numerous people may simultaneously utilize the software. The multi-user mode in QuickBooks for Mac may occasionally provide technological challenges. When you attempt to exchange a business file between the two or more system then such issues frequently arise. Here are some ways to troubleshoot problems with QuickBooks Desktop for Mac’s sharing of your company file if you’re having problems with multi-user mode.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Multi user mode is the mode in which more than one user can work on your company file concurrently with QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. There is a need of extra licenses for every user if you want to use multi-user mode. First step which you have to perform is Install QuickBooks and register the users’ Mac machines once you’ve bought the licenses. In this, each and every user needs an account with right user and password preferences in QuickBooks Mac.
This article will help you in fixing the multi-user problems with QuickBooks for Mac if you are also encountering similar technical difficulties.
User and Password Preferences in QuickBooks Mac
You may customize the user and password settings in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac as per your requirement, so users can only access the information required for their roles. In different areas of QuickBooks, such as banking, sales, payroll, or expenses, you can determine what users can view and perform in such manner.
Steps for Add, Delete or Edit the User
- First, You have to navigate to the company tab and then select User and Password from the options of Company menu.
- To Add a User: You have to click on the Plus Sign (+) and then type the username and password of the user. Once done, you can set the permissions for the user.
- For Editing of the User, double-click on the User Name and make all the changes you want to do.
- If you want to Delete a User, Navigate to the User Name by selecting their name and then hit the Minus Symbol (-).
- Once you are done with above step of your choice, you can close the Preference window.
Steps for Changing the Password of the User
- Everyone with the access can modify their own password.
- By navigating the User and Preferences window and then double-click the user who want to initiate for the change of the password.
Steps for Changing the Password of all the Users
The admin is the one who have the authority of changing the password for all the users.
- Go to Users and Passwords by clicking on the Company tab.
- Now, You can enable Reset All Passwords option by checking the option.
- Type a unique password for each user.
- Close the Preferences window once you are finished by clicking Exit button.
Steps for Assigning the Permission
Users can access the various areas of QuickBooks which can be added or removed by using the permissions.
There are two types of access from which you can grant users one of them:
- QuickBooks Administrative Areas: This gives the user full access to the corporate file i.e. the company file. You can assign this permission to your account if you are the owner of the company file.
- QuickBooks Custom Areas: In this, you can select what the user can view from the file, if you would like to restrict access to particular portions of QuickBooks then just pick the locations which you wish the user is able to access.
You can have only one administrator for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac versions 2019 and higher. If you are using the QuickBooks earlier which had numerous of admin, pick one only admin. Except for admin with privileges such as make changes to or Create New User Accounts, the former of admin will continue to have the same capabilities.
Things to Consider Before you Troubleshoot Multi-user issues
There are three different cases from which you have to choose one as per your requirement.
Case 1: If the Computer Which is Running the QuickBooks Server is going on Sleep Mode.
You can modify the options to stop your computer from entering sleep mode again and again by performing following steps:
- You have to choose the Energy Saver from the System Preferences menu.
- Close the window once you are done with the above step for energy selection.
Case 2: If any of the Setting of the Network of Your Computer or the Server of QuickBooks Computer Changes
Avoid altering the settings of the network and confirm that the QuickBooks Server is sharing the corporate file or not.
For verifying your preferences, follow the following steps:
- Navigate to the preferences and select Network.
- Close the window if your settings are right. If any changes need to be made, make them and then choose Apply.
Case 3: If the Computer is Running on the wifi or not
A poor signal may be the reason for the loss of connection to the QuickBooks Server. So, change your location to the place where is a strong wifi signal, or think about utilizing an Ethernet connection.
Method Multi-user issues in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
This article will come to a close in the hopes that the below information will be useful for you in resolving the QuickBooks multi-user issue with QuickBooks for Mac.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Solution 1: Check if the Server of QuickBooks is Running or Not and if the File of Company is Shared or Not
• Hit Go button and then click on the Applications.
• Now, Double click on the QuickBooks 20XX Server.app icon.
• Share the following files if necessary.
• If the file is listed in the NOT SHARED list then choose that file and click on the Start Sharing button in order to share it.
• If the file is not listed in the list then use the plus sign + for adding a file in the list.
Always remember only a host computer should have the QuickBooks Server program installed and active on it. Also, verify if the QuickBooks Server program is installed on the same computer where the company file is running.
Solution 2: Check for the Firewall Setting of MacOS
Follow the following steps for checking the firewall setting:
• Navigate to the Apple menu and select System Preferences from there.
• Now, Click on the Firewall under Security & Privacy tab.
• Navigate and select the Firewall Options. If the button is grayed icon then hit the lock icon in order to select the lock icon.
• Check if the setting of QuickBooks Server app’s Incoming Connections is set to Allow or not.
Solution 3: Check if the Permission for Sharing of File is Set Correctly on the Host Computer
Steps need to be followed for checking the permission:
• First, You have to select the System Preferences from the Apple menu.
• Now, Choose the Sharing icon from the apple menu.
• Tick the File Sharing checkbox in order to enable it.
• Now, In the list of Shared Folders, add the company file’s storage location’s folder.
• For adding the folder, you have to click on the + sign in the Shared Folder column.
• Now, You have to search for the company file by clicking on the browse button and then look for the file from the desire location where it is and then hit the Add button.
• Ensure that the Read and Write Permission is set to everyone or just for the individual users who will be using QuickBooks under the Users column.
Solution 4: Check if the Bonjour Service is Working Properly on all Computers or not.
The below are the steps which you have to follow for checking the bonjour service on the computers.
• First, You have to choose the File and then New Finder Window.
• Ensure that all the QuickBooks-using machines are also visible in the Shared area.
• Now, Check if these ports are open or not (in case if they are not then open them): 5297 TCP, 5298 TCP/UDP, 53535 UDP, and 56565 TCP.
Solution 5: Check for the Configuration of Network
The interaction between the QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Server may occasionally be impeded due to the issue of hardware. So, for resolving the issues follow the following steps:
• If you are utilizing the wireless internet then turn off your Wi-Fi and unplug the Ethernet cord.
• Now, You have to restart you computer by click on start button and select restart menu from the list of options.
• Open your QuickBooks with the help of using Username and password and then activate the multi-user mode.
Make sure that all the systems are connected to the same network. If you are using wireless internet then all the systems are need to be connected with same wifi.
Solution 6: Settings of Peer to Peer Direct Connection
You can use an Ethernet cable for the establishment of a peer-to-peer connection between two computers. Following are the explained steps for the same:
• First, You have to turn off both the computers which you want to connect by plugging the Ethernet wire into the Ethernet ports on each machine.
• Now, Switch on your computers, once the system is on wait for some time, the Bonjour service ought to make it possible for both then machines that they see one another. Choose a file, then a New Finder Window to confirm that both systems are connecting in same network. Ensure that the other QuickBooks-using machines are visible in the Shared area.
• Now, Open QuickBooks by log in it using user ID and Password and then click on a File and Enable Multi-user mode and then from the list of shared computer pick the computer which you want to use as the host for QuickBooks Server.
• On the second computer you have to open QuickBooks, and then Access Your Company File from the list of Shared Files.
This article will come to a close in the hopes that the above information will be useful for you in resolving the QuickBooks multi-user issue with QuickBooks for Mac. However, there is a possibility that you may not have a good knowledge of technical matters or that you may need professional support for fixing these difficulties which you are facing. So, in that case we advise you to contact our Dancing Numbers team if the issue persists even after trying the aforementioned methods. You will receive assistance from our certified accounting specialists and experts. The ideal solution to fix QuickBooks for Mac’s multi-user issues will be guided by our professionals.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
Whenever the Computer goes into the Sleep Mode then the QuickBooks Server is still Active or Not?
When the preferences of the system are modified then it can be seen easily. You must choose the energy saver application for it.
Is any Network Settings are Changed on Your Computer or the QuickBooks Server Machine?
To avoid changing of the network settings whenever the file is shared, you must understand that the QuickBooks server is sharing the corporate file. Always be aware that all the workstations must have the proper settings of DNS if you are self-managing a DNS server.
Is the System is Using the WIFI?
A weak signal is one reason which may have caused the connection to the QuickBooks server to be loose. So, it is advised that always use a strong wireless signal or use Ethernet connection in the multiuser mode for a smooth work.
Is Mac Allows the Multiuser Mode?
If your Mac can accommodate more than one user, you should create separate accounts for each user so that they can separately customize the settings and choices without affecting other users. You can allow infrequent users to log in as guests without gaining access to their files or settings. You can also choose automatic login settings and establish groups.