You may downgrade TurboTax, a well-known tax preparation program, for free. It gain in popularity among its users and become a top tax filing software as a result of its advanced features. Depending on the user’s needs, you can choose between versions like Deluxe, Premier, and Home Business. You should be aware that the TurboTax Deluxe version requires a one-time payment to access all of its features. Here, we outline the steps involved in downgrading TurboTax as well as the justifications for doing so. So clearing and restarting the software is the best way to downgrade.
To make it simple for you to select the version that best suits your needs, we have listed all of TurboTax’s prices below. Any TurboTax version, including the Premier edition and the Deluxe and free versions, may be downgraded. Which version you install on your PC is entirely up to you.
Table of Content
- 1 What is the Need to Downgrade TurboTax?
- 2 How to Downgrade TurboTax?
- 3 What If you want to downgrade TurboTax 2021?
- 4 How to clear or start over TurboTax?
- 5 How to Update the TurboTax Software?
- 6 Uninstall Old Versions of TurboTax
- 7 Summing Up
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8.1 What purposes does TurboTax serve?
- 8.2 Can you get TurboTax for free?
- 8.3 What are the versions of TurboTax available in the market?
- 8.4 What is the reason to keep old TurboTax software?
- 8.5 Can we use an older version of TurboTax?
- 8.6 Can we use TurboTax without updating it to the latest release?
- 8.7 Which one is the best version of TurboTax?
What is the Need to Downgrade TurboTax?
We are aware of the chances of receiving the incorrect TurboTax program. You may consider switching from the current version to another in such a situation. This occurs as a result of incomplete knowledge about TurboTax program versions.
If you decide to purchase the deluxe version despite being interested in the premium version, your business may suffer. However, you don’t need to worry since we will wrap up everything regarding “How to downgrade TurboTax?” in the post that follows.
The best way to downgrade the TurboTax software is to take everything out and start anew. You can also read the post after this one for more information on how to downgrade TurboTax.
How to Downgrade TurboTax?
Make sure you have all the necessary information, including tax information, on hand before beginning the processes to downgrade the software. You can now use the methods listed below to downgrade TurboTax Online for free.
- First, sign into your TurboTax account and select the My Account menu item.
- Then you have to select the option to Clear and Start Over after that.
- When you return to the tax return’s beginning, you can start entering information for the 2020 tax year.
What If you want to downgrade TurboTax 2021?
If the software was purchased via an e-commerce website, you can ask for a replacement by getting in touch with the reseller in this situation. Ask for a replacement if you bought the product from an IT software store.
Steps to downgrade TurboTax 2020
- Firstly, you have to access TurboTax and then you have to log in to the account by using Admin.
- Select Tax Tools in the left menu window after that.
- A tools center box will display on the screen after selecting the Tools option.
- Lastly, select the My Fees box.
- Also, you can downgrade TurboTax 2019,2018 using the same Clear & Start Over method.
How to Downgrade TurboTax from Deluxe Edition to Free?
Therefore, you can downgrade the software for any version by following the procedures above. And if you want to downsize TurboTax from Deluxe to Plus TurboTax, then follow the below instructions.
- Open TurboTax on the computer and select My Account first.
- You will be returned to the beginning of your return if you select the Clear & Start Over option.
- Re-enter all the necessary information here. You can downgrade TurboTax with this.
How to Downgrade TurboTax to Basic Version via Mobile App
- By choosing the menu option, you have to log out of the TurboTax account on your mobile first.
- Open a web browser after that and sign into turbotax.com
- Right now, you have to select the Tax Tools option from the menu.
- A confirmation window will appear on the screen after selecting the Clear & Start Over option. Then you have to select Yes.
- Select the Logout option that is available at the bottom of the left-hand panel after that.
- Sign in to the TurboTax mobile app to finish.
Can I downgrade TurboTax Online?
If none of the above-mentioned methods were successful in downgrading the software, you can remove the existing version and install the new one in its stead. To carry out the same task, follow the procedures that are listed below.
- You have to open the Control Panel first.
- Then you have to select the Programs tab’s Uninstall a software link.
- On the Programs and Features window, select the current TurboTax version that has to be deleted or uninstalled.
- Finally, select Uninstall and then continue with the on-screen instructions.
The steps listed below might be used if you run into any problems while deleting the Premium services bundle.
- Firstly, you have to log in to the TurboTax account and then you have to launch your return.
- After that, select the File to proceed to the screen that says Well Done.
- Go back to Step 1 and select Start after reviewing your order.
- If you are unable to complete the previous steps, select Revisit next.
- When the order summary appears, you have to choose Remove.
- Finally, select the Credit Card Payment option.
How to clear or start over TurboTax?
Below is the following list that contains all the steps that can help you in starting over on TurboTax.
- Firstly, you have to run the Web Browser and then you have to sign in to the TurboTax software.com
- Then you have to select open or continue your return.
- On the left side, you have to click on the menu present and then you have to select Tax Tools.
- Now you have to click on Clear and start over.
- At last, you have to select Yes when the confirmation screen appears.
How to Update the TurboTax Software?
Follow the below steps to update your TurboTax software:
- First, you have to choose the TurboTax menu.
- Then you have to click on Check for Updates.
- You have to pause while the program is downloading and the latest updates are getting installed on the system.
- Lastly, you have to accept all the instructions that are displayed on your screen.
Uninstall Old Versions of TurboTax
Follow the below-mentioned steps to delete old programs of TurboTax.
- Firstly, you have to shut down TurboTax.
- Then you have to choose the Windows Taskbar and then you have to click on the Start option.
- After that, you have to choose Control Panel and then you have to select Uninstall a program.
- Now you have to click on the TurboTax version that needs to be removed and then you have to select the Uninstall option.
Learn about: File Taxes With The Last Pay Stub on TurboTax
You should keep in mind that there will be no process to downgrade it, once you have to upgrade TurboTax software. You will require to create a new return and then you have to select the lesser version or then you have to select any version to prepare all returns. In case you have any doubts related to this then you can call the help desk team.
Frequently Asked Questions
What purposes does TurboTax serve?
The TurboTax software was created to provide its users with detailed tax return guidance. Also, it is available for both state and federal income tax returns. This program offers further help to taxpayers in the preparation of their tax returns.
Can you get TurboTax for free?
Yes. We guarantee that downloading TurboTax won’t cost you anything. Simple federal and state tax filing is also cost-free.
What are the versions of TurboTax available in the market?
Below is the list of all versions of TurboTax software along with its prices and purposes.
1. Deluxe is for those who are interested in deducting charitable or medical expenses and its price is 79.99 $.
2. Premier is for those who have rental income or sold investments and its price 109.99 $.
3. Home and Business is for small business owners and its price is 119.99 $.
What is the reason to keep old TurboTax software?
If you wish to install one of the older programs, you can’t upgrade it or use the state program because TurboTax software is only supported for 4 years. The best solution is to keep an annual PDF tax file and worksheets.
Can we use an older version of TurboTax?
You cannot, in an improper manner, use an older version of TurboTax to file taxes for the most recent tax year. It is required every year.
Can we use TurboTax without updating it to the latest release?
The only option to skip TurboTax updates is to open the program without an internet connection. It is advised to upgrade the program, nevertheless, so that your tax return won’t be impacted. You should be aware that using e-file requires updating TurboTax.
Which one is the best version of TurboTax?
The TurboTax Premium edition, which has all the features of Deluxe plus additional tools for dealing with investments and rental property, is advised by Intuit. Or, if you want to create a small business, you can choose the self-employed version.