QuickBooks Error 15101 is typically displayed when QuickBooks is unable to connect to the internet in order to download updates. It can occur when updating payroll in QuickBooks. Errors in internet access make it difficult to update features and payroll in QuickBooks Desktop 2024, as well as the bank feeds. The 15XXX series of failures includes QuickBooks update error 15101, and the error code you receive may vary based on the reason for the failure. Upon downloading the most recent tax tables through payroll updates, QuickBooks exhibits error code 15101. To rapidly fix QuickBooks problem 15101, follow the instructions in this article below.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
What You Must Know about QuickBooks Error 15101?
One of the 15XXX series of issues, QuickBooks error 15101 appears when you attempt to get the most recent updates for payroll or the QuickBooks Desktop application. Error 15101 is frequently caused by a digital signature certificate that is out-of-date or missing. But there is a chance of getting into the same situation because of the other issues.
Why QuickBooks Error 15101 Occurs?
- Bad internet connectivity and an uninstalled/outdated digital signature are the two most prevalent reasons that hinder the process of getting the bank feeds updated.
- At times, Windows Firewall obstructs QuickBooks to connect to the internet, and QB services are not properly initiated on Windows, this may entail 15101 errors.
- There’s no denying the fact that sometimes interference of third-party applications with QuickBooks internal processes or a virus attack can also result in this error.
What are the Reasons Behind the Occurrence of QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
It is necessary to have a quick look at the potential reasons of QuickBooks Desktop issue 15101 before attempting to resolve it.
- QuickBooks Desktop’s digital signature certificate is either unavailable or missing.
- Due to virus or malware infestation there is some damage to the QuickBooks folders and files.
- There are issues with QuickBooks because of one or more earlier updates.
- The updating process is being interfered with by a third-party program.
- It is not configured to use Internet Explorer as the default browser.
- The error can be attributed to a settings issue with Internet Explorer.
- The connection between QuickBooks and the Intuit servers is being blocked by the Windows Firewall.
- The QuickBooks Error code 15101 may indicate a malfunctioning QBWconnector.exe application.
- This issue may appear if none of the QuickBooks services have been started on Windows yet.
Aftermath of QuickBooks Error 15101
You might face the following symptoms that are difficult to handle when QuickBooks Error Message 15101 displays on the screen:
- First of all, the update process for the payroll gets hampered.
- Next, you may notice that your Windows OS is running slowly.
- Furthermore, your keyboard and mouse may not respond quickly to your inputs.
- Too many system crashes, hangs, and/or active apps could occur.
Make a backup of your company file and go directly to the QuickBooks payroll update error 15101 troubleshooting section if you want to prevent these situations.
Solutions to Rectify QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15101
In this article, we will dig deeper to mention all the common causes and self-doing solutions that demand minimal effort and time. Keep reading the post to fix the issue in the jig of time.
Note: This error needs to be addressed at the earliest as it can create further chaos in the QuickBooks application. So, stop wasting any more time, Let us go straight into the important things.
This error is categorized as a 1500 Series Error however the solutions to this error are quite different. So, the user is just required to carry out each solution one by one till the time you get a method that applies to your situation. Let us talk over them one by one.
Method 1: Run QuickBooks Reboot.bat File
- To start with, You need to Exit QuickBooks Desktop
- Now, Right-click on the QB icon and opt for Properties and from there you need to click on Open File Location.
- Once you have opened the file location, search for Reboot.bat file > Right Click and select Run as Administrator. The moment you do this, all the QB files command prompt will be displayed
- Wait for the Reboot.bat file to accomplish the QuickBooks services repairing process (Note: You need not to self-exit the command prompt window. It will close automatically.)
- And lastly, Open QuickBooks and Initiate Payroll once again.
If you are again receiving the same error after initiating payroll update, switch to the next solution mentioned below:
Method 2: Configure Internet Explorer as the Default Browser
- You need to first open the Internet Explorer from the desktop
- From the top right corner, Click on the Tools or the Gear icon
- Once done, Hit on the Internet Options and scroll to the Programs tab and opt for the “Make Default Internet Explorer the default browser”.
- Now, Press OK to save the applied changes.
Method 3: Install the Digital Signature Certificate
Kindly know if you are following this troubleshooting step, please ensure to get a quick backup of the company file data to ignore unfortunate data loss.
- Firstly, Navigate to this C: Program FilesIntuitQuickBooks file destination and search for QBW32.EXE. (Note: If you are unable to find out the QBW32.EXE file. Don’t worry. Just Type in same in the search menu under the Start option.)
- Now, Right-click on the QBW32.exe File and opt for the Properties tab.
- Simply go to the Digital Signature tab. Confirm that Intuit, Inc. has been opted in the Signature List and hit on the Details.
- Click View Certificate from the Digital Signature Details window
- Opt for Install Certificate from the Certificate Window and click Next until the Finish option is displayed.
- Now, Click on Finish.
- After this is done, Restart the Computer and start the QuickBooks Application
- Download the product updates
Method 4: Modify the Firewall Settings
The firewall is usually the common reason for a barrier in the proper functioning of QuickBooks. User is required to configure the firewall settings accurately to combat this issue.
- Go to the Internet Browser and select Internet options and proceed to the advanced tab.
- Now in this step, Choose the the settings of TLS and SSL as per the screen shot shared above.
Method 5: Check Your Internet Connectivity
You are also required to check whether the internet connectivity is stable or not as a few scenarios related to this issue holistically depend upon the poor internet connection. If the network connection is not stable contact the service provider to stabilize the internet connectivity.
Method 6: Switch to Safe Mode
Start working in the safe mode to avoid attacks from the virus, malware, or any outside threat. The safe mode will also help you to do the task independently without any interference from the attacks.
- Firstly, Reboot Windows and hit on the F8 key multiple times to display the Safe Boot options.
- Once the safe boot options are displayed on your screen, select Safe Mode
- Press Enter key to boot in safe mode.
- In this step, Select Windows + R keys together and type in appwiz.cpl.
- Again, Press Enter key and double-click on QuickBooks Desktop icon from the list
- Follow the instructions to Uninstall QuickBooks.
- Go tothe QuickBooks Product Download page and download the QuickBooks Setup File
- Go to the Download section of your PC and download the QuickBooks setup file from there.
- Follow the given instructions and complete the Product Registration Process
- Now Update QuickBooks Payroll again and check if the issue has been fixed
Method 7: Restart QBConnector.exe Process
Users can also try to restart QuickBooks Web Connector, by following the below-stated steps:
- Firstly, Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys altogether and open up the Task Manager.
- Secondly, Find out QBConnector.exe under the Processes tab
In this step, click right on it and select the End Process option and thereafter reboot QuickBooks.
Method 8: Run a Full scan using Avast
We need the Avast antivirus installed on the PC if it’s not already there. Launch avast in the scan tab, post that you need to hit on the run the full system scan option. This will allow the complete troubleshooting of the device bugs. And the complete scan will also help you combat unwanted virus attacks caused in the system.
The QuickBooks Update Error 15101 has been resolved in this article. Hopefully, we could assist you to get rid of this issue.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does safe mode resolve the QuickBooks update error 15101?
Yes, Safe mode resolves the error code 15101 when you are unable to perform the tasks in the normal mode.
To switch in safe mode follow the below steps:
While you choose the safe mode then also choose the operating system.
Press enter key
Post that, Hit on the log in
Then select the system admin along with that you can go to all programs and applications of the system.
Now in this step you are required to type the password of the administrator to log in
Hit on the yes option in safe mode for particular work
Open your QuickBooks Software and now do the work that causes you the error 15101
In the end you need to reboot the computer in normal mode, and you are done.
What if I do Uninstall and Reinstall my QuickBooks 2020 Software to fix QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
You can perform uninstall and then reinstall process of the QuickBooks 2020 software on any other version of the software. If it assists you to get rid of the issue then it is good. Else, you are required to searchout the reason and then implement the solution to get rid of the error.
Is there any Specific File that I have to Run to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 15101?
Yes, there is a file name reboot.bat that you can run as administrator. It helps your computer to re-register the .ocx, .dll, and other products file into your windows operating systems. So, now you are just required to locate it and after that run it. Post that, reboot the system and move to the QuickBooks Software.