You have downloaded QuickBooks Desktop hoping that you will now have a seamless experience while managing your accounts. But suddenly when you press the install button, a pop-up appears on the screen: “Error: There was a Problem Installing Microsoft Runtime Library (1618).“ or “Error 1618 ‘Install_Already_Running'”. Now, this is confusing because you get an error before even starting the application.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
This article will clear all the confusion that you might feel when Error 1618 occurs in QuickBooks. The in-depth clarifications of the causes, symptoms, and troubleshooting methods are all helpful for both new and existing users. So, let us dive in!
What is QuickBooks Error 1618?
Error 1618 in QuickBooks occurs at the time of installing the application. The installation setup program is hindered when more than one Windows installer is running. Windows installer is the basic component needed to install a program. It assists in installing, uninstalling, updating, and repairing the software. Thus, whenever it faces restriction, the error with the code 1618 appears on your computer screen.
|Feature transfer error
|Error: There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618).
|Error 1618. “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING” error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.”
It is now clear what this error is but why does it occur in QuickBooks? The answer is provided in detail in the following section.
What are the Causes of Error 1618 in QuickBooks?
The list below is the possible causes for the occurrence of this error.
- Installation Files for QuickBooks Installation are Incomplete or Corrupted.
- A corrupted Windows Registry can cause Error 1618.
- Accidental deletion of program files that prevents QuickBooks from access.
- The system of the user has malware or virus leading to the error.
- MSIEXEC (Microsoft Installer Executable) Process is used by users to install programs and applications on their operating systems. But if it does not work, error 1618 may arise.
- Microsoft Runtime Libraries can face damage during installations. Otherwise, the installation files might be corrupt, which leads to QuickBooks error 1618.
Now that you know the reasons, be aware of the signs and symptoms related to error 1618 as well.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Error 1618 in QuickBooks?
The symptoms that display the effects of the error on your system are given below:
- A QuickBooks runtime library error message is shown with the error code 1618 on your computer screen.
- The QuickBooks Desktop freezes or the computer crashes if the error occurs.
- The Windows operating system becomes sluggish.
- Once the error appears, the computer halts its functioning for some time.
These signs are frustrating for the users and require immediate attention. The solutions that can fix error 1618 in QuickBooks are thus significant. So, let us check these troubleshooting methods to resolve the error.
Solutions to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 1618: Another Program is being Updated
Now that you are aware of the causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1618: Another program is being updated, it’s time to learn how to fix it. The following are some of the best solutions that you can implement and get rid of the issue with ease:
Solution 1: Download and Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
To run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool, you should follow these steps:
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop Software if it is open or running.
- Download the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and save it at an easy-to-access location on your computer.
- Install the application by following the instructions shown after opening the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Agree with all terms and conditions so that the installation process completes.
- Once installed, right-click on the icon and select open.
- From the QuickBooks Tool Hub, Check Installation Issues.
- Select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and run it till it resolves the 1618 Error in QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Verifying Instances of MSIEXEC.EXE in the Background
As seen earlier, a broken Microsoft Installer Executable Process running in the background can lead to error 1618. For ending this process follow the given steps:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del for opening Task Manager.
- Sort all running processes alphabetically under the Processes tab.
- Search the MSIEXEC.EXE process. Once found, select and press End Process.
- For Confirmation, Press Yes.
- Exit the Task Manager window and proceed with the installation.
Solution 3: Reinstalling the Microsoft Runtime Libraries
Microsoft runtime libraries may get damaged due to various reasons. However, It causes error 1618 in QuickBooks. Therefore, Installing other libraries can mitigate the issue. To do that, Follow these steps:
- Visit the Microsoft C++ Redistribute Package.
- Select packages based on your system. Choose Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) to download for 32-bit PCs.
- Likewise, Choose Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) to download for 64-bit PCs.
- You need to save these files in an easily accessible location on your computer.
- After downloading, click twice on “vcredist_X86.exe” (for 32-bit computers) or “vcredist_X64.exe” (for 64-bit computers)
- Follow all instructions for the downloading completion.
- Run Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
Solution 4: Creating a Backup for the Windows Registry
Windows registry entries may get damaged due to some reasons. However, you must be prepared to mitigate the issues related to the errors in QuickBooks. Therefore, having backups of Windows registry entries can be helpful.
- Press Windows + R on your computer’s keyboard so that you can open the Run window.
- Write Regedit in the text box and open Registry Editor.
- Select Yes on the prompt box.
- Now, Navigate to the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Hover on the File menu, Click it, and press Export.
- Under the Export Range tab, Select All Options.
- Save the Windows registry backup on an easily accessible folder or your desktop.
- After the backup is done, delete all keys. Sub-keys will be automatically deleted with them.
Solution 5: Updating the Windows Installer Version
Updating all software and applications is significant. Likewise, an un-updated Windows Installer can lead to error 1618 in QuickBooks. To update the Windows Installer on your computer, follow the below steps.
- Logging in to the PC as an Administrator is the first task for this process.
- Note whether the Windows Installer is updated. Click on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Click on C:\WINDOWS\system32 to open and right-click on the exe file in the folder.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Properties followed by the Choose Version option.
- All information related to the version of the Windows Installer is present there.
- Check if the software has all the latest updates. If not, Update them.
- Reboot your computer after the updates are done and check if the error remains.
Solution 6: Installing the Latest Updates for the Windows Operating System
Sometimes, the Windows operating system requires updates launched by Microsoft. An outdated operating system can lead to QuickBooks errors. You can update your PC’s operating system via this process:
- Visit the Settings window on your PC from the desktop or the Start menu.
- Choose the Windows Update option from the Update and Security tab.
- Press Check for Updates to investigate update requirements.
- Upon finding available updates, the process will automatically start updating.
- Once Done, Restart your PC to apply the changes made in the operating system.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop to check if the error remains.
Solution 7: Running Quick Fix My Program
The Quick Fix My Program is a component in the QuickBooks Tool Hub that helps in scanning and repairing the issues it identifies while running. Once you install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Visit the Program Problems menu
- Click on Quick Fix My Program option to run the component and resolve the error.
Solution 8: Using Clean Install in Selective Startup Mode
There are chances that the error 1618 in QuickBooks is not resolved even after applying all the above-mentioned techniques. In that case, you can try clean installation in safe mode. It restricts third-party app interruptions at the time of the reinstallation process. To use this, go through the following parts of the solution.
A. Switch to the Safe Mode
- Open the Run dialogue box (Windows + R)
- Write MSConfig in the text box.
- After you press Enter, you will see a pop-up window appear.
- The General tab in the window will be already selected. You will observe three mode options. Click on the Selective Startup and then the Load System Services option.
- Now, Move to the Services tab and tick the Hide all Microsoft Services option below.
- Select Disable and then remove the tick from the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Find Windows Installer from the list of services provided and select it.
- After completing all these selections, click on OK and select the restart button.
B. Uninstalling and Reinstalling the QuickBooks Desktop Application
Once the first part is complete, make sure to save Backups of the QuickBooks Company Files to avoid data loss.
- Navigate to the Control Panel. Now press on the tab for Programs and Features.
- Select the Uninstall program option and from the list of software and applications choose QuickBooks.
- Finish uninstallation by following the instructions provided on the screen once you click on the software name.
- Go to an official source for Downloading the Clean Install Tool. Install the tool and run it on your PC.
- After this, Reinstall the QuickBooks application from an installation hard drive or a recognized source such as Inuit.
- Carry on with the download and installation by following the instructions given on your PC screen.
C. Returning to the Normal Mode
After the reinstallation process is complete, you need to revert to normal mode.
- Follow steps 1-3 of Part 1.
- Now, Choose the normal startup option in the General tab
- Reboot your system again to apply the alterations and see if the problem persists.
Solution 9: Using the System File Checker Tool
System File Checker is another component in Windows that helps in detecting errors and repair them. Go through the process by doing as follows:
- Open the particular Command Prompt from the given Start menu on your system.
- After its dialogue box appears, Do not press Enter.
- Now do a right-click on the particular icon for Command Prompt. Next choose Run as Administrator.
- Once this is done, a black window will appear with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.
- Now, Write SFC/Scannow in the blank black window and press Enter.
- It is a command to start the System File Checker Utility, which will automatically begin identifying and repairing Windows files that are corrupted.
- After it is Done, Restart your PC to apply all the changes executed on it.
You are now aware of all the possible methods related to fixing the QuickBooks Error 1618 that occurs while installing the software. The error can hamper your seamless QuickBooks performance and affect your productivity.
Therefore, the fixing methods mentioned in this article are helpful. Hopefully, these will be enough to mitigate the issue. However, If you still face problems, Contact our Dancing Numbers experts without thinking twice. All you need to do is make that call.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any other Way to Fix QuickBooks Error 1618?
The solutions mentioned in this article should be effective to fix the error. However, you can:
- Use manual fixing of the Windows components.
- Use other features of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Contact a QuickBooks specialist to rectify the error.
Are there any Actions that Should be Done Before Commencing the Trouble-fixing Process of Error 1618 in QuickBooks?
Keep in mind to Follow these Actions:
- Have a Backup of Essential Files.
- Make sure all programs (QuickBooks Tool Hub, QuickBooks Payroll, etc.) associated with QuickBooks are updated.
- Update the Windows to the newest version on your computer.