When it comes to enhancing company processes and boosting accounting industries, the QuickBooks desktop application has been one of the most preferred choices. You could, however, unexpectedly come across issues while operating QuickBooks. This might cause hindrance in your work and might be frustrating. But, you have to remember that there is always a solution to every issue.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
In this article, we will be taking a look at one such problem commonly known as QuickBooks Error 1646. This usually occurs when you are attempting to install QuickBooks while another version exists on your system. However, you will get to know the troubleshooting steps in this article.
|Warning Error:||1646 installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported|
What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error 1646?
There are several causes that trigger the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 1646.
- The Company file might be locked.
- Incorrect procedure for installation of the Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer.
- Damaged MSXML and Microsoft C++ components.
- The operating system is out-of-date
- There’s a chance the Windows temporary folder is full.
- Possible permissions issues might prevent the installation procedure.
- Usage of an outdated version of QuickBooks is no longer in use or supported.
- Corrupt QuickBooks installer.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1646?
It is possible to predict that you are facing QuickBooks Error 1646 by having a look at the following indicators:
- You may notice that the business file gets locked.
- Another sign of the error might be damage to the MSXML and Microsoft C++ components.
- The operating system being used by the user is not supported.
- It’s conceivable that you won’t have the necessary access to install QuickBooks.
- You will find no room within the Windows temporary folder.
Steps to Resolve the QuickBooks Error Code 1646
A quick and simple solution to fix QuickBooks error message 1646 is to follow the clean install tool’s instructions. Remember that conducting a clean installation has no impact on your crucial accounting data. There will be no tampering with the business file or its contents. The steps to abide by in order to complete the clean install are listed below:
Step 1: Check the Product Information in QuickBooks Desktop
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application right away.
- The Product Information Window will then appear on the screen after pressing the F2 key on the keyboard.
- All the relevant information about the product is available in the Window.
- Be mindful about writing down all the necessary information, including the License Number and the Product Key.
- Additionally, be careful to record the product’s year and version.
Step 2: Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop
Following the instructions listed below will allow you to easily uninstall the QuickBooks software:
- Go to the Control Panel by selecting it from the Start menu. By typing Control into the search box and then double-clicking the Control Panel, you can accomplish the same task quickly.
- Next, you have to pick the Programs & Features tab. You will also come across the option to uninstall a program.
- Pick your QuickBooks Desktop version.
- Click Uninstall/Change after that.
- Select Remove Next, and then click Next at the end.
Step 3: Manually Rename the Installation Directories
The QuickBooks installation folders need to be renamed at this phase. Put the suffix “.old” after the folder name when you right-click it. The QuickBooks program cannot access a folder that has been renamed. In a last-ditch effort, QuickBooks will make a brand-new folder without accessing the renamed one.
The QuickBooks install error 1646 can be eliminated using this method. It is strongly advised that you move through with the re-installation of the QuickBooks program, which is detailed in the next step if this step does not resolve the issue.
Read it Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1625?
Step 4: Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop Software
You should reinstall QuickBooks if the previous methods didn’t resolve the problem. Reinstalling the software might assist with fixing a variety of bugs and other technical issues that may be present. For instructions on how to reinstall the program, check the steps below:
- Double-click the Control panel after finding it in the Control menu on the Start screen.
- Press the Programs and Features button on the control panel window.
- You can choose QuickBooks from the list of installed programs.
- Select Uninstall/Change after that, then click Uninstall.
- Wait till the end of the procedure.
- Restart the PC when the procedure is finished.
- Reinstall the desktop version of QuickBooks. Make sure you have the product and license keys available because you’ll need them for the installation.
- Continue the installation procedure and adhere to the on-screen directions.
- After finishing, start the QuickBooks program to see if the issue was eliminated from your computer.
Step 5: Manually Rename the Installation Directories after Uninstalling QuickBooks (Optional)
- To begin with, you must remove QuickBooks.
- To reveal hidden files, Follow the instructions.
- Navigate to the “File Explorer” option in the Windows Start menu and launch it. Alternatively, you may open it by pressing Win + E simultaneously.
- Next, you have to locate and open the folder containing QuickBooks company files. In most situations, this will be the folder for QuickBooks. Any of the following pathways will get you to this:
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users(Current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- Right-click on the Folder again and select Rename.
- The folder name must then include the term “old” at the end. This will stop QuickBooks from attempting to open it after a reinstall.
- Reinstall QuickBooks desktop, and that’s all.
The following procedures might be helpful if you get an access problem when attempting to rename the folder:
- Choose Task Manager by first right-clicking the Windows taskbar.
- Select the Processes tab after the task manager has loaded.
- To sort the list, Choose the name column heading after that.
- Next, Select each of the following programs and terminate it: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr, QBCFMonitorService.exe, and Qbw32.exe.
- Finally, you have to choose Yes.
The article sheds light on QuickBooks Error 1646. You get to know about the various causes, indications, and steps to quickly resolve the problem. All the procedures are tried and tested and are guaranteed to offer results.
In case, you are unable to comprehend the steps, you should not hesitate to get in touch with a professional Dancing Numbers expert. And if you have further queries related to QuickBooks Error 1646, you should reach out to our expert team.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is QuickBooks Error 1646?
Users might encounter QuickBooks Error 1646 when they try to install updates. This might be due to the existence of older QuickBooks versions, damaged QuickBooks files, outdated OS versions, etc.
What are the Error Messages you get to see When QuickBooks Error 1646 occurs?
Here is the list of the error messages that you can see:
“Error message: cannot find the .msi installation package to complete the installation“
“Error 1646 installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported“