QuickBooks error 6154 is a technical problem that makes it difficult to use company files. Customers experience many issues while opening their company data and working on them due to the error since it keeps interfering by popping up on the window. In today’s article, we will provide a comprehensive overview of the steps to resolve the problem to make your account error-free and get instant relief.
QuickBooks accounting software has been nothing but a boon for several businesses across the globe. The seamless interface and smooth functioning make it the best option for its competitors. However, often due to technical errors like QuickBooks error 6154, the smooth functioning is hindered and the application is impacted.
Let us begin by understanding in detail what the QuickBooks error code 6154 is all about.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
What is QuickBooks Error code 6154?
When the QuickBooks error code 6154 occurs, the following message is displayed on the screen with the specific texts:
“Error 6154 occurred when QuickBooks company file not open or QuickBooks unable to open specified folder or file.’’
When this error occurs, a user is unable to open the company files or data. It usually occurs when the system you are functioning has an issue establishing a link or fails to connect with the company file. Consequently, QuickBooks fails to use any needed files or folders.
What are the causes of QuickBooks error code 6154?
There is not always a specific reason that triggers QuickBooks error code 6154. Generally, several reasons give rise to the error 6154 in QuickBooks. Rather than jumping on to any solution, let us comprehend why this error has occurred.
Here is the list of the reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error code 6154:
- You will not be able to use the company file in case you are signed in as an Admin in QuickBooks.
- Wrong folder path or file.
- You may have shifted the company file from one location to a different one.
- One of the primary reasons behind the occurrence of this technical error is the corrupted QuickBooks folder or company file.
- If you are not signed in to the computer as an Admin, it can also trigger the error.
- Wrong location or misplaced file.
- The file may be saved on any particular external device instead of any local device.
What are the symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6154?
When QuickBooks error code 6154 occurs, the following symptoms are seen:
- The QuickBooks software may have failed to open the QuickBooks file, giving rise to the error.
- If you fail to open a specific folder or file, it also shows that the error still exists.
What are the pre-requirements before you resolve QuickBooks error code 6154?
Prior to undertaking the troubleshooting process for QuickBooks error code 6154, here is the list of pre-requisites one needs to adhere to:
- In case QuickBooks and Windows, updates are present, implement them.
- Make sure you copy the company file to a different location and try opening the same file.
- Make sure to update the Intuit Sync Managers to its current version.
- Ensure that a robust antivirus is installed on your computer that does not interrupt or damage the company file post scanning the system.
How to troubleshoot QuickBooks Company File error 6154?
Here are the different solutions to fix QuickBooks Company file error 6154:
Troubleshooting 1: Ensure that you have signed in as an Admin on your system
With the help of the steps of the solutions stated below, you can ensure that you have the authority to access the company file. In case you are not signed in as admin, the authority can lead to the occurrence of error 6154.
- In case your system is turned on, make sure you restart it.
- Now, sign in to your system with the System Administrator credentials.
- Next, when you are allowed to use the company file, it will be upgraded and you will be able to use the QuickBooks company file once more.
Troubleshooting 2: Reset the Sync Manager settings
Resetting the sync manager settings states that in case the error is caused by any kind of damage to the settings, it can be changed:
- You need to log in to your system as the System Administrator.
- Next, shift all your company files prior to resetting the Sync Manager.
- Now you need to shift the folder from the previous location to any other particular folder on your system.
- Now scan your system and find a new location for the particular file.
- You should create a new folder in the selected location and then copy the file from the previous location.
- The file will be shifted to a different folder.
- Now you need to follow the steps mentioned below to reset the Sync Manager:
- Navigate to QuickBooks Help Menu
- Now select the option to Manage Data Sync. Now click the option for Reset Sync Manager.
- On the Window, you will be requested to include credentials like the User ID and password.
- Lastly, allow the Sync Manager to finish the first sync.
Troubleshooting 3: Sync QuickBooks with the Company File Folder
The company file may be triggering the error 6154 since it is not synced with QuickBooks in the right manner. With the help of this solution, you will be able to resolve this issue by synchronizing the needed folders and files with the particular QuickBooks application.
- Sign in to your system with the help of the System Administrator credentials.
- Navigate to the C:/Drive.
- Find and press the option of Sync now.
- Now the folders and files will be synchronized.
- You need to review the folders and files in order to match them with the QuickBooks application.
- Lastly, run QuickBooks as Administrator.
- Attempt to open the company file now to check if the issue is resolved or not.
Troubleshooting 4: Use the QuickBooks Tool Hub
With the help of QuickBooks Tool Hub, it is possible to run the particular scan and resolve issues that may be causing issues for your application, restricting you from using the company files, with the help of the steps provided below:
- Navigate to the Intuit website. Now start by downloading the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the available link.
- You must save the particular file that gets downloaded in a smooth useable location.
- After downloading is complete, you must install and then set it up for access.
- Navigate to the downloaded file folder.
- Press twice on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file to begin the installation process.
- When all the on-screen commands are completed, acknowledge the terms and conditions. Now press Yes and complete the dialog box.
- Now open the QuickBooks Tool Hub to use the tools to fix the issue.
- Now navigate to the Program Problems section of the QuickBooks Tool hub.
- Now you will notice Quick Fix My Program to show and identify the issues with the system.
- You will see different tools in different segments.
Troubleshooting 5: Update QuickBooks Desktop and authenticate the file type
It is quite likely that due to an outdated QuickBooks version, you may be witnessing issues in using company files in QuickBooks. Hence, it is highly recommended to update the QuickBooks application:
- In QuickBooks Desktop, navigate to the Help menu.
- Choose Update QuickBooks Desktop. Now select Update Now. Now click Get the latest updates.
- Do as per the on-screen prompts. In case any current update is present, please do.
Make sure that post updating, when you wish to open the company file, which is .QBW, you will not be able to open the different file types such as portable files like .QBM and backup file .QBB.
Not to mention, you also need to verify that the file is not encrypted or compressed, with the help of the steps provided below:
- Press right-click on the company file. Now click the option for Properties.
- Choose the option for Advanced.
- Now clear the particular checkboxes for Encrypt or Compress.
- Press OK.
Troubleshooting 6: While Closing QuickBooks, do not save
QuickBooks generally opens the screen and windows which were opened last, so that the larger files may get freezed on the screen. Hence, it is recommended to open the company file minus the saved windows:
- First, you need to launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- In the screen for No Company, use your company file.
- Now, on your keyboard, hold the Alt key, but do not let it go as long as the file is closed. Now click Open.
- In case you are notified to add your sign-in information, please enter.
- Now hold the Alt key. Now click OK.
In case your company file launching is successful, you need to disable the save while closing the Desktop inclination:
- In QuickBooks, navigate to the Edit menu.
- Now click the Preferences option.
- Now select the Desktop View.
- Now click the option for Don’t save Desktop. Now click OK.
- Shut your QuickBooks and then open it once more to check if you can use the company file.
Troubleshooting 7: Fix and Uninstall QuickBooks
In case none of the troubleshooting methods work, you just have this option to make QuickBooks run seamlessly. It is possible to repair the application with the help of the steps given below:
- On your system, navigate to the Control Panel on your device.
- Now click the option for Programs and Features.
- From the list, choose the option QuickBooks program.
- Select the option Repair/ Uninstall.
- Perform the repairs that are prompted. Now press OK. Now allow the scanning.
- You need to hold on till the application repairs.
- Once completed, reboot your system. Now open QuickBooks once more and see if the error exists or not.
In order to reinstall a program, it is imperative that QuickBooks Desktop should be uninstalled with the help of the steps given below:
- Go to the Control panel of your system.
- Select Uninstall a Program.
- Select QuickBooks and its concerning apps from the list.
- Now uninstall them from the system. Next reboot the device.
Once it is done, you need to clear the internal space and get ready for reinstallation. Search for a valid source from where the installation can be undertaken. Now download the file and then have the product information such as product number, license number, etc., with you when notified. Now set it up on your particular computer and try opening the QuickBooks file without the error.
In this article, we have explained all about the most common QuickBooks error, 6154. We have explained what the error is all about, what are its causes, symptoms, and solutions to resolve this issue. We have stated more than one solution to fix this common QuickBooks error.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.