The company file consists of important data of the company up to the date the backup was made. It is pretty essential to restore the most recent file in order to make sure that the data is safe even in case when it gets damaged or lost somehow. Restoring a backup file allows you to go back to one of your save points, if you ever run into any problems. That’s why knowing how to restore backup files in QuickBooks Desktop is really important. In this guide, you’ll learn all about the restoring of a backup file along with its importance but before let’s delve into how to backup your company data in QuickBooks.
Save Time, Reduce Errors, and Improve Accuracy
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Multiple situations when you could require to Restore Backup Files in QuickBooks Desktop
There are a number of situations that could require restoring a backup file. Few of them are listed down:
- The company file gets damaged at certain extent which is next to impossible to fix it using the QB Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
- If the company file trouble with any Malware or Virus attack and in case it is quite possible that all your data gets compromised
- Accidentally deleting the company data can be one of the reasons.
Steps to Backup the Company Data in QuickBooks Desktop
- Initially, go to the File menu and choose “Back Up Company”
- Next, select the “Backup Copy” once the new windows will opens
- Now, pick the “Local Backup” within the next appear screen
- Choose the location where you wish to save your file and then browse to that particular folder or location
- You can save the backup on any local devices or browse and then save it on any external device such as a external hard drive or thumb drive
- Moving forward to Setup Preferences
- Choose to add the data and time of the backup file
- Set the limit number of backups which you wish to keep at a time
- Along with that, you can set the reminder for backing up of the company file
- Choose the option to verify that the company data is correct when you save
- Complete verification is suggested to you with an message
- Next step is to make confirmation that you want to save the file on the local device by selecting Yes and then Next button
- Choose any of the options for when do you want to save your file: “Now” or “Now and Schedule future backup”
- It is suggested you to choose the 2nd option that is “Now and Schedule future backup”
- Once done with that then you’ll be asked to schedule a backup of the file. Choose any one:
- Set to backup when closing file a certain number of times
- Set to backup on a schedule (recommended).
The backup process is done with this and now let’s sees the steps to restore backup files in QuickBooks Desktop.
Steps to Restore Backup Files in QuickBooks Desktop
Whenever you try to restore a backup file, you require a backup company file (.qbb) in order to generate a new company (.qbw). Make sure that your backup file is on your local hard drive before you proceed with the steps.
Along with that, download the file and save it location where it is easy to find.
- First, go to the File menu and select Open or Restore Company option to open the restore wizard
- Hit the Restore a backup copy (.qbb) followed by Next
- Now, choose the local backup and then hit Next
- The open backup copy window appears on you next screen
- Browse the location where the backup file is saved only if required
- Choose the backup file and click on the Open then Next button respectively
- Save the Restore the backup file using the drop-down menu select the location to save the same
- To end the process, choose the backup file and then Save
- In the end, a successful message displayed on the screen.
Hopefully, this guide is helpful for you and gives you the best experience for how to restore backup files in QuickBooks Desktop. Moreover, this process also help to securely backup QB data files to a certain limits or decrease the risk of data loss.
Accounting Professionals, CPA, Enterprises, Owners
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number 1800-689-5491 or chat with experts.
How to do QB Online Restore Backup File via Web Restore?
If you are a QuickBooks Online user and looking to download your backup file through Web Restore utility to restore QuickBooks Backup Data, follow these steps.
Go to the QuickBooks Online Backup Login website and enter your User ID and Password in the given fields.
Select the Web Restore option and install the ActiveX control, if implied.
Complete all the actions asked from the system.
Create a new folder on your desktop or any other place in your hard drive and name it Backup.
Click Restore and select the folder created in the above step.
After downloading the backup file, complete the restoring process by following the steps mentioned in the last question.
What are the Errors I Face in Restoring the Backup File in QuickBooks Desktop?
There are several issues that you could face when you restore a backup company file using your backup copy. The below are the error message appears on the screen:
Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 backup file
Error: Restore Failed. Can’t remove the log file
This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different name
What are the different ways to fix Restore Backup Files in QuickBooks Desktop, If it Fails to Restore?
There are numerous ways to fix this issue. Few of them are:
Delete special character from your company file
Avoid overwriting an existing file while restoring company backup
Use the same or new QuickBooks version while restoring the backup file
Confirm the actual backup file
Repair the company file
Repair QuickBooks manually if required.