The Company file name in QuickBooks Desktop is the name you have provided at the time of its creation and setup. In many scenarios in the future, there require to rename the name of the company file. The below article is compiled up with a guide about how to rename your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Why You need to Change the QuickBooks Desktop Company File Name?
Several cases arise when you need to modify the name of the company file in QuickBooks. Here are some use cases:
- Mistakenly used the wrong name or entered incorrect spelling when created the QuickBooks company file
- If your company name was altered and you have to reflect the modifications on the company file
- When condensing the file in QuickBooks and need to keep the name for the ease of accessing the historical data
Things need to Note before Implementing the Steps:
- The information is for Windows System.
- In case you are using Loan Manager to monitor or track the status of the loans then you require the renaming company file and then re-creating the Loan Manager. The reason behind this is the Loan Manager file (.lmr) uses the name matching with the company file. Hence If you simply give the name to the loan manager it will create an issue while opening the QuickBooks Desktop
Steps to Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Company Files
- First of all, create a backup of the QuickBooks Company file to prevent data loss.
- Now Open the QuickBooks.
- Verify the location of the company file.
- Discover the Home Page, hit on F2 button or Ctrl+1.
- It will display the Product Information Window.
- Check the location that appears in the File information field.
- Locate the specified location.
- Now give a right-click on the File.
- Choose Rename button.
- The name of the file may display as [CompanyName].qbw or simply [CompanyName].
- Modify the name of the file and then hit Enter button.
- Choose Ok for confirmation.
Setup QuickBooks Desktop to use the New Name of the company File
Follow the below steps:
- Firstly locate the QuickBooks File menu.
- Choose Open or Restore an existing company.
- Give a click on Open a company file and then hit on Next option.
- Choose the newly renamed company file.
- After this hit open button.
- A thing needs to know: In the case of using a multi-user environment, there is a need to open the newly renamed company file on each and every workstation.
That’s all for today! Hopefully, the above guidance about How to rename your QuickBooks Desktop Company File is easy for you to understand. What to think? Implement the steps in sequence and change the company file name in QuickBooks.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.
Can I Create a New Company File in QuickBooks?
Yes, here are the steps:
Open your QuickBooks Desktop.
Discover the no company open window.
Choose to create a new company.
Select one of the setup options named Express Start and Detailed Start.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Setup process.
In case you having existing company file then give a new unique name; it will prevent the overwriting of the data.
Hit on Start working.
What method I do need to use to Create a Portable Company File in QuickBooks?
Login to the QuickBooks as an admin.
Click on the File menu and then choose to Create Copy button.
Hit on the Portable Company file button.
Choose Next option.
Now give a unique name to the Portable company file.
Pick a location to save the changes.
Once you are prepared now choose the Save button.
What do You mean by QBprint.qbp? Can I Rename it?
QBprint.qbp comprises details regarding printer setup and form customization. It contains separate lines for the transactions, journal entries, invoices, a data line, etc. It is helpful during form printing in QuickBooks. All the modifications in the printer setup window apply to the QBprint.qbp file. You can rename the QBprint.qbp file to fix the basic issues/