Renaming a file may not be a complicated task, however, renaming a QuickBooks company file is a difficult task and one needs to keep certain things in mind while attempting the task. First, one needs to know why renaming a company file is needed.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
There can be many reasons. Maybe you have been asked to make crucial changes to your particular file and the way it has been set up and require an original file copy for your reference.
In today’s blog, we will highlight how to change the name of the company file in QuickBooks. We will also share with you details on how to rename your company files in QuickBooks 2016 and QuickBooks Desktop 2024.
Keep reading this article to learn the complete method to rename the QuickBooks Company Files.
Why You need to Change/Rename a Company File in QuickBooks?
There can be a few reasons behind changing or renaming your QuickBooks company file name. Here is an overview of the reasons to change or rename the QuickBooks company file name:
- The file was named in a wrong manner.
- The QuickBooks company file name may comprise of fewer characters. To meet the expected length of the name, you must rename the QuickBooks company file.
- You may have triggered a spelling issue when you were attempting to name your company file.
- The name of your particular company may have been altered. Because of this, the names of your particular file may have been altered.
- Your organization has collaborated with a different company. Hence, there can be a requirement that the company file may show the merger.
- Special characters are likely to have been included in the file name. These particular characters are leading to some issues.
What are the Mandatory Tips to Change Your Company File Name in QuickBooks?
It is important that during renaming your QuickBooks 2016, QuickBooks Desktop, etc., you must make sure of the following crucial tips. If you follow the tips, there will be no problems in the file renaming process:
- Make sure that you are allocating the right name to your particular file.
- Make sure that while renaming your company file in QuickBooks, zero special characters are added.
- Ensure that there are zero spelling errors while editing the file name.
- Make sure that the length of the new file name has the minimum required characters.
- Once you have renamed your file, you must save the new name and it is important. If you fail to do so, no edits will be made to it.
How to Rename Your QuickBooks Company File?
Here are the steps to rename a particular QuickBooks company file:
- In order to rename your particular company file in QuickBooks, you need to exit the program and ensure all the other users have exited the program in QuickBooks.
- Now open My Computer, your network drive, or any other place where your QuickBooks file is stored. In case you are not aware of the answer, you need to run QuickBooks and then open your organization, and click the F2 key. It will notify you of your file’s location. Make sure you do not forget to exit the QuickBooks after you have the information.
- Now go to the QuickBooks file location as stated in the last step. It is crucial. QuickBooks, based on the version you possess, keep one or two folders that contain the name of your file along with other secondary files which have your name. Press right-click on every one of them and select Rename.
- Now you need to add the name that you are going to utilize. Make sure no special characters are used apart from hyphens or underscore characters. You must rename every folder or file with the new name.
- It is important to have a folder like Company Name Images or Restored Company Name files. In such a scenario, you must rename the company name section of the particular folder name. Instead of opening your particular QuickBooks company, from the previous window, press on the QuickBooks menu. Now go to the option, File/Open or Restore Company/Open Company File and press the option, New Name.
Note: In the majority of the cases, It is quite possible that your will edit a file’s internal name. Not to mention, you should not confuse all other employees regarding the file that needs to be accessed. To do it, press on the Company Information/QuickBooks Menu and then alter the internal file name of the particular company that matches the specific file name. In this manner, every time you open the company and the name will be shown near the top of the screen, you will witness the new name.
How to Change or Rename a Company File Name in QuickBooks for a Particular Client?
Here are the steps to rename or change the company file name in QuickBooks for a specific client:
- Choose the option of your particular client drop-down in QuickBooks. It will be on the top.
- Select any company file for renaming it.
- Press on Gear
- Select the option, Your Company.
- Choose Accounts and Settings.
- On the left side of the panel. You will witness Company. Select the tab.
- In the particular company name segment, perform the changes to the specific file name.
- Press Save.
- Click the tab for done.
- Now select the company file. The name will be altered.
How to Alter the Name of a Company File in Your QuickBooks Desktop?
Here are the steps to change the name of a company file in your QuickBooks Desktop:
- First, you need to take a QuickBooks company file backup.
- Now you need to run the software.
- In your QuickBooks, the file location needs to be found. In order to do it, press F2. You can also click the Ctrl key along with the 1 key. In the Product Information screen, check its location and take note of it.
Note: To be particular about the company file location, please take a look at the field labeled, File Information.
- Go to the location on location the same as the File Explorer.
Note: To navigate to File Explorer, on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or 10, click Start. On Windows 7 or Windows Vista, it is possible to open Windows Explorer directly.
- In the given location, you will be able to witness your QuickBooks company files. Press right-click on them. Now click on Resume.
Note: The company file name may be stated in any of the formats given below:
- [CompanyName] .qbw
- Now you need to rename the particular file and then click Enter.
- Press on Yes.
Note: QuickBooks Desktop must be set up to function on a renamed company file. In the file menu of the particular software, you will locate Restore or Open an Existing Company. Select this and then choose Open a Company File. Now click Next. Then you need to select your files and click Open.
- If you are not accessing the multi-user mode, the method displayed there will function for renaming the company files. But, in the particular multi-user mode of QuickBooks Desktop, the file names can be altered on all workstations.
How to Change a Company File Name in QuickBooks 2016?
In QuickBooks 2016, the method to begin renaming the company files can be performed with the help of the Product Information screen and the steps given below:
- Open a company file post running the QuickBooks 2016
- Once the file begins running, click the F2 key.
- Now wait for the Product Information screen to open.
- In the screen, Locate File Information.
- In this option, Check Location.
- Now when you are aware of the location, Go to check your company file.
- Now choose the company file and then press right-click on it.
- Click the Rename option.
- Now you must edit the name or alter it completely.
- Make sure the file extension is identical to the previous one. It must not be edited.
- Now click the Enter key.
- After a prompt appears, click the Yes option.
Once you edit the company file name in QuickBooks 2016, you must set up the accounting software.
- Select Open or Restore an Existing Company from the File
- Now click the option, Open a Company File.
- Now select the renamed file.
- Lastly, Press the option for Open.
We hope that after reading this article, you are now clear about how to rename a QuickBooks company file. We have highlighted all the important steps related to it and also discussed why it is important for business. Still, If you get stuck anywhere then you can reach out to Dancing Numbers team.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Create a New Company File in QuickBooks?
Yes, Here are the steps:
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Discover the no company open window.
- Choose to create a new company.
- Select one of the setup options named Express Start and Detailed Start.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Setup process.
- In case you having existing company file then give a new unique name; it will prevent the overwriting of the data.
- Hit on Start working.
What Method I do Need to Use to Create a Portable Company File in QuickBooks?
- Login to the QuickBooks as an admin.
- Click on the File menu and then choose to Create Copy button.
- Hit on the Portable Company file button.
- Choose Next option.
- Now give a unique name to the Portable company file.
- Pick a location to save the changes.
- Once you are prepared now choose the Save button.
- Click OK.
What do You mean by QBprint.qbp? Can I Rename it?
QBprint.qbp comprises details regarding printer setup and form customization. It contains separate lines for the transactions, journal entries, invoices, a data line, etc. It is helpful during form printing in QuickBooks. All the modifications in the printer setup window apply to the QBprint.qbp file. You can rename the QBprint.qbp file to fix the basic issues/