You have encountered the error that shows you the message Locked Files or File in use. These errors happen when there are program problems; you get these types of error messages displayed.
Here are few more error messages that are listed below. Also, you get the solutions according to the displayed error message on your screen. You have to follow it accordingly and fix the errors like “locked file errors (Company File in use)” in QuickBooks Desktop.
What various Error Messages Displayed on Your Screen?
The error messages that you can encounter are:
- Sorry, you are not able to change this (transaction) now. Another user is currently doing a task that uses that in this transaction.
- Company file in use. Please wait.
Only one user at a time is allowed to do (a task).
- The automatic entry of (transactions) is being skipped because (another user) is accessing them.
- Another QuickBooks user is currently performing a task that must finish before you can continue.
What to do when these type of Error Messages Happens into QuickBooks Account?
You can perform things according to the error messages. These messages are as follows:
Error Message 1: If the Error Message Says that Another User is doing Something
This error encounters when another user is performing a task of QuickBooks. The task is limited to one user only; even you are using the multi-user mode.
You have to start the task just after another user finishes it so that no other user can start the task before you. If the user is known to you then ask them to tell you about the task when they are done with it.
Error Message 2: If the Error is Continuously Referring to the Specific User
In this case, the user is not performing the task in real into the QuickBooks account. But the error is specifically refers to the particular user. So, do these steps below:
- Check that the user that is referred in error have close and reopen the QuickBooks software on the workstation
- Open the QuickBooks on another workstation.
- Then click on the Company menu.
- Further, select the Users option.
- Click on View Users.
- Verify that the user who is referred to the error sign out of QuickBooks on the workstation
- You have to go to the User’s list.
- Check that the specific user who is facing the issue is appearing in the list as the signed in.
- Check that you are able to do the task without any error.
- But if the user is still appearing in the list of users as the signed in.
- Then try the other solutions that are listed for the “Waiting for Company File” and “Error on multiple workstations”.
Error Message 3: If the Error is about “Waiting for Company File” or “Company File in Use. Please Wait”
When this type of error message appears on your screen of QuickBooks account that means there are performance issues. The performance issues are database issues or workstation won’t meet system requirements for QuickBooks. Further, more are network issues or conflicting programs, and a server or workstation.
There are 2 series of performance issues that are:-
- Performance issues- Manage your computers
- Enhance your Computers
- Virtual Memory
- Competing Programs
- RAM Improvements
- Upgrade your Operating System
- Upgrade Computers
- Terminal Server
- Where to store your data file
- Use Computer on a Network
- Non-Dedicated Host or Server
- Your Data Folder
- Optimize your Network Interface Card (NIC) Settings
- Performance issues- Manage your data file
- Set Company and Personal Preferences
- Bill Preferences
- Sales and Customers
- Automatic Updates
- Desktop View
- Items and Inventory Preferences
- Reports and Graphs
- Reduce the Size of the Company File
- Run the Condense Data Utility
- Truncate your Company File
- Start a New Company
- Optimized QuickBooks Operations
- Maintain Lists
- Custom Sorted Lists
- Modify Lists
- Employee List
- Customer List
- Chart of Accounts
- Vendor List
- Item List.
- Set Company and Personal Preferences
Error Message 4: If the Error Happens on the Multiple Workstations
In this case, you have to perform the following solutions that are as follows:-
Solution 1: Use the QuickBooks Tool Hub on the Server
- In your Windows system, open the QuickBooks software.
- Click on the File menu option.
- Then select the Utilities option.
- Further, if you see the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Then click on it and select the Yes button to confirm.
- If you see the Host Multi-User Access then don’t do anything and move to another step.
- Close the QuickBooks software.
- You have to repeat these steps on all the workstations that are not hosting the company files.
- Open the QuickBooks and then check for errors.
Solution 2: Check for the Multiple Host Computers and Stop Hosting on all the Workstations
- Firstly, go to the server
- Check and ask all users to close the QuickBooks on their workstations
- Click on the Windows Start menu button
- Then type Run in the search box and press Enter button
- The Run window opens up
- In the field type services.msc
- Then press the Enter button to open it
- Click on the QuickBooksDBXX from the Name column (XX is the number that reflects the particular version of the software)
- The item you select reflects the version of your software you are using-
- QuickBooksDB31 – QuickBooks 2021
- QuickBooksDB30 – QuickBooks 2020
- QuickBooksDB29 – QuickBooks 2019
- QuickBooksDB28 – QuickBooks 2018
- You have to click on the Stop link option. It ends all user’s access to your company file
- After that, select the Start link option that let the users access the company file again after sign in
- In the end, open the QuickBooks and perform your task to check that error happens or not.
Solution 3: Stop and Restart the QuickBooks services on the Server
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Then save the file into the default location that is the downloads folder.
- After downloading the tool, go to the downloads.
- Locate for the .exe file of Tool Hub.
- Then double-click on the file to install the tool.
- Follow the steps for installation.
- After installation, go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon.
- Right-click on the icon and choose the option Run as Administrator.
- The tool opens up now select options to fix the error.
- Click on the Program Problems tab.
- You have to run the program that you see inside the Program Problems tab one by another.
- If the issue resolved then stop running the remaining tools and you are done.
Solution 4: Again, Install QuickBooks on the Server
- Uninstall QuickBooks software
- In your Windows system, close all the programs.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on the Programs option.
- Then click on the Programs and Features option.
- Now, locate the QuickBooks program.
- Right-click on QuickBooks and select the option Uninstall/Change.
- Then the uninstall Wizard opens up.
- Follow steps one by another by clicking the Next button.
- When the uninstallation is completed.
- Click on the Finish button and you are done.
- Reinstall the QuickBooks on your computer
- Go to the Downloads folder.
- Locate the downloaded file in the Downloads folder.
- Then double-click on the .exe file to start the installation.
- In the installation wizard, you have to perform the on-screen instructions one after another.
- When the installation status bar completes in the end then click on the Finish button.
- Go to your Desktop, search for the QuickBooks icon or open the Windows Start menu, type QuickBooks.
- Right-click on QuickBooks and select the option Run as Administrator.
- Now, try to do your task and then check for errors.
If the Error occurs only on one Workstation
If this happens only with one user’s workstation then there is a problem with their Windows or QuickBooks. Here are the solutions that you have to perform for fixing the error you are facing:-
Solution 1: Create a new Windows user that has Admin Rights
- In your Windows system, press and hold the Windows + I keys altogether.
- This opens up the Settings window on your desktop.
- Choose the Option Accounts and click on it to open it.
- Then go to the option of other People or Family.
- To the computer option, click on the Add Someone else.
- If it asks you to enter any email address then no need to mention the email address.
- Instead, click on the option I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Click on the option Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- You have to create a new username and password.
- Then click on the Next button to continue.
- Create this new account Local as Administrator into your computer.
- Hit on the local account that you just created newly.
- To change account type click on the Change Account Type option.
- In the account type, transform from the Standard User to Administrator.
- Click on the OK button to continue.
- You have to reboot your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- In the end, open the Company File to check for errors.
Solution 2: Create a New User into QuickBooks Account
- In QuickBooks, click on the Company menu option.
- Choose Users option.
- Then click on the Set up Users and Roles.
- In the window of Users and Roles click on the New button.
- In the User name field, add the name of the user.
- After that, add and confirm the password.
- From the Role window, click on the Role and then select Add.
- When the addition of role is done click on the OK button.
- To make changes in the role then click on the Role List tab.
- Then select Edit to make changes.
- When you are done with changes click on the OK button.
- Click on the Close button to close the Users and Roles window.
- On the workstation log out of QuickBooks.
- Log in to the newly created user into your QuickBooks software.
- Also, test the user access and its set up that is done according to you or not.
- In the end, do your task to check for errors.
In conclusion, you get to know about “How to Fix Locked File Errors (Company File in use) in QuickBooks Desktop”. All the related solutions are mentioned in this article. So according to the situations, all the solutions are mentioned with detailed steps that can be performed easily.
Do I require to take the backup of data files before start fixing the error “locked file errors (Company File in use)” in QuickBooks Desktop?
Yes, you have to take the backup of your data files as it is important. If something happens then you are able to restore your company files using the backup file. So it plays a vital role in the whole process that you have to do at very first.
If I already have the Windows user with all admin rights so do I have to create it again to fix the error “locked file errors (Company File in use)” in QuickBooks Desktop?
In this case, you have to go with another solution and try to fix the error. If still, it won’t happen then you have to make another user to check that it works in new user or not. This helps you to identify the problem.
What if I am using the Windows 10 operating system and got the error “locked file errors (Company File in use)” in QuickBooks Desktop?
The solutions in the above article are the same for all Windows operating systems. So don’t worry and implement the solutions to fix the error. But still, you have doubts or any problems then connect with the helpdesk team to get all answers to your issues.