If you wish to access a company file located on a remote system or computer, it may seem to be quite complicated to a majority of QuickBooks users. But, a few basic steps can help you complete the process.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
To assist you in accessing a company file on a remote desktop successfully, in this article, we will share all the crucial points to open a QuickBooks Desktop Company file located on a remote computer. So, for additional details, ensure that you read this article to its end. However, prior to moving ahead with the process to access company files placed on a remote desktop, let us learn about the key requirements to use QuickBooks company files remotely.
What are the Prerequisites for using QuickBooks Company File Remotely on a Server or a Computer?
Here is the list of the pre-requisites for using QuickBooks Company File remotely on a computer or a server:
- Firstly, It is very crucial for the user to host computer or map server as a network drive for private workstations.
- Prior to beginning the process, you are needed to set the folder where the company file is placed.
- You are also needed to set up computers that are assigned to use the files for multi-user mode.
- Ensure that you have arranged the QuickBooks Username and Password.
What are the Benefits of Accessing or using QuickBooks Company File on a Server or Computer Remotely?
QuickBooks Desktop software has several features when used remotely on a computer or a host. Many of them are shared below:
- It enables you to open any computer and company file of your customer apart from daily working hours.
- It also assists in using your account from your system along with your mobile device.
- One such unique characteristic of this QuickBooks remote access is that it assists in cutting down your working hours every week.
- It enables you to work from the comfort of your home remotely with all the convenience and comfort.
- Even though you are going somewhere, with the assistance of the remote access feature, you can provide additional time to your line of business.
Important Steps to open a company file located on a remote computer in QuickBooks Desktop
Here are the important steps together with some key requirements to open a company file placed on a remote system. These steps are:
Step 1: Installing QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the Remote Server or System
Prior to conducting steps, it is important that you know what a QuickBooks Database Server Manager is. In simple terms, QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a type of tool that enables you to arrange the QuickBooks performance for multi-user access. Hence, in case it is not installed in the system beforehand, QuickBooks users need to download and then install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Here are the steps that one needs to follow and implement:
- First, you need to download and then install QuickBooks Desktop it on the main system where you wish to use your QuickBooks Company file.
- Now, Select Switch to multi-user mode from the particular QuickBooks file menu.
- Now, in the next step, choose Yes in the multi-user hosting setup needed screen. It is important to note that QuickBooks Desktop installs the qbdbmgrn.exe and then runs it as a background service. This particular service should be running on the system saving the company file, even though the QuickBooks Desktop is closed.
- Post that you need to press OK on the screen for multi-user setup information.
- Now going towards the end, you need to include required users by shifting towards the company options and then choosing important users, who are then followed by selecting the option, Set up Users and Roles.
- Lastly, Finish the process by choosing New.
You may also see: How to Fix Login Problems of QuickBooks Online on Chrome?
Step 2: Turn on Network Discovery and turn off Password Protected Sharing
This step is considered an optional one and it is not compulsory to complete it. In this step, the server should be turned on for Network Discovery and it is obvious to attempt to open the file with the help of the UNC path. Together with that, in case the password-protected feature is turned on, Windows will request a network password.
In such a case, if this takes place, you may sign in using the network password or you can also turn off the feature. QuickBooks users must perform this procedure on all workstations needed to remotely QuickBooks server a network or host computer.
- First, Navigate to the Start menu and look for the bar type Control Panel to press on it.
- Now, Select Network and Sharing Center and then press on the option Change Advanced Sharing settings.
- Now you must open the Profile type which you are using at present.
- Now, Select the option, Turn on Network Discovery which is under the option Network Discovery.
- Now press on the option, Turn off password-protected sharing in the option Password Protected Sharing.
- Finally, Press Save in order to save all the changes made.
It is possible to conduct this procedure on the host system or server and all those workstations that are required to access files over the particular network.
Step 3: Find and Open the Company File
Once the procedure is complete, users need to find the Company file location and open it.
- First, Navigate to the File menu. Now press Open or Restore Company.
- Now, From the option, Open a Sample Company File, select Next, and locate the company file location.
- Now, you need to choose the company file that has the file extension .qbw from the available list and press the option, Open.
- After it is done, Enter your username along with the password if needed.
Also read: Steps to Open QBW File Without QuickBooks?
In the steps given above, we hope that you will be able to use a company file that is situated on a remote system. However, in case you are facing issues in opening the company placed on a remote system even after you have implemented the steps stated above, then we suggest that you get in touch with our Dancing Numbers team of experts and accounting professionals.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Open a Company File from any Shared Drive?
In order to open a company file from any shared drive, you need to select a network from the start menu of Windows. Show the computer files of the host in the windows and then find the company file folder. If it requests a passcode, you must type the username along with the password to use it.
How to Open a QuickBooks Company Backup File?
It is possible to restore a backup company file with the help of the steps stated below:
- Navigate to the File menu in QuickBooks and select the option Restore or Open Company.
- Select Restore a backup and then click Next.
- Once it is completed, select local backup and then click Next.
- Navigate your system to get the backup company file.
- Select the folder where you wish to save the restored file.
What is a Multi-user Mode in QuickBooks?
The multi-user mode in QuickBooks enables many users to use the same company file at the same time. After a company file is set up for multi-user access, the user can use it from a remote computer that is linked to the same network as the host system.