There is a diverse amount of tools and features that are provided by QuickBooks to ease your accounting purposes. Undoubtedly, this can be the reason behind QuickBooks gaining more popularity with each passing day.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
The multi-user mode found in the QuickBooks application software is known to be one of the most important features. This is because it enables multiple users to perform their work on the same company file at the same time. The constant working of several components makes this process a little complex.
“QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working” is also known as “QuickBooks Error H202”. This error occurs when the location of the Company file that you are working on is not found on your computer system but on another system. Also, you don’t even have a copy of the same company file on the server you are working on.
Even though QuickBooks is one of the most flexible accounting software, you can still experience some sort of errors or problems while using it. QuickBooks multi-user mode not working is one such error you might come across. Go through this article till the very end to know more about it so that you can set yourself free of this error while you work.
This particular article thoroughly deals with the responsible factors that can trigger QuickBooks error H202 and the required approaches that can be taken into consideration when you try to fix it.
Causes for QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error
The multi-user mode found in QuickBooks requires a numberseveraluents for efficient working. You will not be able to use this mode smoothly if any of these constituents fail to function in a proper internet connection or improper network settings can also lead to malfunctioning of the multi-user mode. Listed below are some of the major causes that may raise QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error:
- If you have not installed QuickBooks on your server computer, it can lead to this error.
- Multi-user mode fails to work efficiently if you do not arrange the hosting settings properly on the network.
- If the computer systems in your network are not compatible with each other because of the firewall.
- You have not granted the permissions to your files or folders properly.
- If the Database server manager is unable to open the company file, it can also trigger the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error.
Prerequisites Before Jumping to Resolutions
Some points must be kept in mind before you try to fix the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error. They are as under:
- Make sure to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Moreover, you must ensure that the version of the server manager that you have installed should be the same as the QuickBooks version that you are using.
Use QuickBooks File Doctor
To use QuickBooks File Doctor, follow the below-listed steps:
- To begin with, Download the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Now, select the ‘Run‘ option. Located on Intuit’s website, this tool helps you to check if your computer system has been set appropriately for the proper functioning of QuickBooks multi-user mode or not.
Once you are done with these settings successfully, try to run the file doctor again and see if the error persists or if it is resolved. If it does, switch on to the second method.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Issue
Below are the methods which can help you resolve the error “QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working”:
Method 1: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- The very first step is to open and navigate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager found on your computer desktop.
- Then, open the Start menu and enter ‘Database‘ in the space provided.
- After that, click on the Browse option and search for the required folder in the company files if you are not able to locate it.
- Finally, click on the OK button followed by hitting the Scan button.
If you follow the steps listed above properly, you will be able to mend the firewall permissions easily. If it still could not help fix the error, move ahead.
Method 2: Verify the Host Mode Settings of Every User’s Server
This can be done by following the below-listed steps:
- The first step is to explore the QuickBooks File menu on your computer system.
- Then, open Utilities.
- If you see “Host Multi-User Access” appearing on the list, move to the other system in the queue. This is because it just indicates that the system you were at earlier was not the one hosting the company file.
- But, if “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” gets displayed on the list, in that case, you are supposed to enable the QuickBooks single-user mode followed by disabling the hosting.
- After successfully disabling the hosting mode on all the computer systems, check if the error “QuickBooks multi-user mode not working” is resolved.
Method 3: Check Whether QuickBooks Services are Running
Verify that the server PC is running QBCF Monitor Service and QuickBooks DBXX (where XX is the year of QuickBooks).
- You have to enter services.msc in the Windows search box to start the first step. Then you have to click the Enter key to continue.
- You have to look out for the Services Window to see the QuickBooks DBXX service. If this does not appear, then you have to follow the given steps:
- You have to ensure the server is correctly installed with the Database Server Manager.
- You have to look out for the corresponding, latest Database Server Manager. The Manager receives an upgrade just like every year following the installation of QuickBooks Desktop on the user’s machine.
- One must make sure that hosting is enabled on the server in case the full software is running on the computer.
- The QuickBooks DBXX service should be double-clicked after that. Once the service starts, one of two options should be available: Running or Start option.
- For the first, second, and subsequent failures under the Recovery tab, you have to choose the option to restart the QuickBooksDBXX Service in the next step.
- Simply repeat the bullet points 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the QBCF Monitor Service.
The user needs to open QuickBooks in multi-user mode on each of the work computers after taking the previously mentioned steps. This is to see if the ‘QuickBooks multi-user mode not working‘ problem has been resolved or not.
The user must verify their membership in the QuickBooks DBXX service if the issue continues and an error message appears. The administrator group should include the membership service, and it should have all necessary permissions.
Method 4: Check that QuickBooks Must be able to Send Data
To solve the multi-user mode issue, take these two steps:
Step 1: Change the Settings of Firewall and Antivirus
The main cause for this problem could be a firewall or antivirus program. If a firewall setting is the cause of the problem, you can create exceptions in the firewall settings to let QuickBooks transmit data. If your antivirus is causing the issue, adjust it to fix the error.
- You have to press the Windows key and then click the Control panel.
- Then you have to find and select the Windows firewall option.
- Select the prompt to approve “An app through the Windows firewall option“.
- Click the checkbox next to the public list for the QuickBooks application and then tap Change settings.
- Press OK after that, and then you have to click on the Public for the application.
- Run QuickBooks in multi-user mode to see if the issue has been resolved.
Step 2: Test Path and Ensure QuickBooks can Communicate with the Server
This step is needed to turn on Network Discovery.
- To launch the Run command, press the Windows button and the R key (Windows + R keys), type ping [servername], and then press the Enter key.
- Use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) on your computer to access the server’s shared folder.
- Finally, you have to use UNC path to return to the QuickBooks business file.
Step 3: Go to the Company File Following the UNC path
Step 4: Create a New Company File Folder
- For the Company file, Create a New Folder for the Company File. Make sure to reach the Host system.
- Moving forward, you must configure the folder and for the new folder allow Windows to Access Permissions.
- The company files can be shared across systems.
- Copy the .QBW File to the New Folder right away, and make sure the company file is opening in multi-user mode. The problem is now resolved if it opens up properly.
Step 5: Configure Firewall Exception for QuickBooks Program and Port
- Begin by clicking on the Windows button
- To access the Windows Firewall setting, type Windows Firewall into the Search box.
- You have to choose the Firewall Advanced option that is in the left sidebar.
- The inbound and outbound rules are located on the Advanced settings tab.
- Choosing Inbound Rules will prompt you to select New Rules.
- After selecting Port in the New Rule Windows, you have to select TCP.
- You have to add the Port based on the version of QuickBooks you are using.
- The previous actions must be repeated while lefting out the outbound rules.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2019, enter 8019, XXXX.
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2020, enter 8019, XXXX.
- Type port Numbers 8019, 56728, and 55378–55382 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Type port Numbers 8019, 56727, and 55373-55377 for QuickBooks Desktop 2017.
- You have to add QuickBooks to the Firewall.
- The only difference is that this time, rather than selecting a port, we will add QuickBooks Program to our inbound and outbound firewall rules. Otherwise, all of the processes listed above remain the same.
- You have to select New Rule under Advanced firewall configuration.
- This time, you have to select the application and then go to the directory that contains the executable file for the program.
OnlineBackup.exe — IntuitSyncManager.exe — QBUpdate.exe — QBLaunch.exe —QBCFMonitorService.exe — QBServerUtilityMgr.exe — QBDBMgrN.exe — QBW32.exe QuickBooksMessaging.exe — FileMovementExe.exe — FileManagement.exe — DBManagerExe.exe Dbmlsync.exe — AutoBackupExe.exe
- Each of the above mentioned files should be included in the Inbound rules.
- To apply the outbound Rules you have to follow the same steps.
- Finally, Restart your computer to make sure the issue has been fixed.
Method 5: Make a New Company File Folder
- If you want this step to work properly, then you are required to make a new folder for the company file. Remember, this step is supposed to be performed on the host computer only.
- Grant the Windows permission to access the newly made folder after it has been completely set up. This way you can make sure that the company files are being shared to all the systems in the network.
- The last and final step is to copy the .qbw file to the new folder. And then see if the multi-user mode is open in the company file. If it is, the error has been resolved.
Method 6: Renaming the *.TLG and the *.ND Files
The network data and transaction log files in QuickBooks, .ND and .TLG, respectively, help in connecting to and opening the company file. Renaming these files trigger QuickBooks to create new ones that are free from any corruption and damage since damage in any of these files might result in problems accessing the company file in QuickBooks.
- Below are the methods to help you locate the .TLG and .ND files before renaming them.-
- You have to the Company File for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Then you have to press the F2 key while you are on the Home page.
- A window with Product Information appears. You can find the location of the Company File under File Information. The same folder contains the .TLG and .QBW.ND files.
- To rename the above mentioned files, you have to right-click on them from the location.
Method 7: Configure the Windows Firewall Settings
One such component of the Windows operating system that, in case not properly configured, can hamper each and every step of Windows is the Windows Firewall. Change the Windows Firewall settings as mentioned below to enable QuickBooks to function in multi-user mode.
- Use the Windows Start button to access the Control panel.
- Then you have to search for Windows Firewall and then you have to click Enter.
- You have to click on Allow an app through the Windows Firewall option.
- Select the Public list checkbox for the QuickBooks application by clicking Change Settings.
- Select Public for the application after clicking OK.
- Check whether issues like H202 and related ones return by attempting to run QuickBooks in the multi-user mode once more.
Method 8: Add Your Server to Windows Host File
It will be easier for Windows to recognize and connect with the server computer that has the company file saved on it if the server information is added to the Windows Host file.
- Access the Windows hosts file on the computer facing the Cannot switch to multi-user mode problem using Notepad.
- The host file is located at (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc).
- If required, open Notepad as admin.
- After the last IP address, type the server’s IP address.
- Enter the server name while holding down the Tab key.
- Go to the File menu, and select Save.
- Select Exit.
- Check to see if the QuickBooks multi-user mode problem has been fixed.
Method 9: Ping Your Server from a Workstation
Turn on Network Discovery before beginning the procedures below to fix the QuickBooks multi-user not syncing problem. The server and workstations that cause QuickBooks Error H505 must be turned on.
- Open the Start menu on your server and workstations where QuickBooks is stuck in single-user mode.
- Enter Network into the search bar to launch the Network and Sharing Center.
- Change Advanced Sharing Settings by clicking on it. Turn on File and Printer Sharing and Network Discovery after that.
- Then get the name of the server.
- Now you have to type CMD into the Run window from the search bar and then you have to hit Enter.
- After typing the line ipconfig/all in the CMD window, and then you have to press Enter.
- Right next to the Host Name on the screen is the Server Name.
- Now you have to note down the Host Name.
- Go to the workstation so you can test the server. You may now require technical assistance to get further, especially if you are a beginner.
- Launch the Run command window by clicking the Start button.
- In the Run window, you have to type CMD.
- Then, Enter the command ping_[your server name]. Without the brackets, type the server name.
Method 10: Get Your QuickBooks Desktop Updated to Avoid Multi-user Errors
In addition to ensuring you have the latest version of QuickBooks, updating it also fixes any flaws from the prior version that may have caused your QuickBooks to become stuck in Single-user mode. Here’s how you can easily download QuickBooks Desktop’s latest upgrades.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop first, then ensure sure Windows is running as an administrator.
- Next, you have to select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option under the Help tab.
- With the help of this step it will open the window of Update QuickBooks, where you will find three tabs.
- To prompt QuickBooks to download the available updates, go to the Update Now tab and select the Get Updates option.
- You have to restart QuickBooks once the updates are downloaded, and then it will ask you to install the updates.
- After that, you have to click Install Now, and in no time, your QuickBooks will be updated.
- If QuickBooks was not allowing Multi-user mode on any of your systems, try opening the company file again to see if the problem has been resolved.
Method 11: Switch to Multi-user Hosting
- You would need to first open the QuickBooks application and update the company file to the latest version.
- Then you have to choose the File menu and then you have to go to the Utility tab.
- You have to select Host multi-user access.
- Finally, Perform other related steps if the previously hosted multi-user setup is present.
Method 12: Configuring the Default Setting
The problem can be resolved and the default setting can be changed. The multi-user mode not working error will be fixed as a result. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Firstly, you will need to open QuickBooks and then you have to click on the File tab.
- Then you have to click Utilities open and then you have to select the option to Host multi-user access.
- Also, you have to add the number of users that you want with the company file.
- Then you have to follow it up by selecting Cancel. In case the Multi-user mode is already enabled, then you have to disable it.
- Lastly, for other users you have to create different login credentials, and then the setup is complete.
Method 13: Reinstalling the QuickBooks Software
Reinstalling QuickBooks will solve the problem if it is still present. The procedures that must be followed are as follows:
- Begin by clicking on the Start tab and then you have to move to the Control panel.
- After that, you have to look for QuickBooks from Programs and features.
- Then, you have to click on QuickBooks and carry out the uninstallation process.
- Now you have to go to the official website of Intuit and then you have to download the required version of QuickBooks.
- Lastly, you have to click on the Multi-user mode hosting and then switch to it.
The above mentioned information will help you to fix QuickBooks Multi User Mode Not Working error, its primary causes, and the associated troubleshooting steps. After carefully following the debugging approaches listed above, if you still fail to help yourself out, feel free to contact the Dancing Numbers experts via LIVE CHAT.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Possible Causes for the “QuickBooks Multi-user mode, not working” issue?
There might be a couple of reasons for the “QuickBooks Multi-user mode not working” error to take place:
QuickBooks was unable to fetch the IP address for the current system in use.
The Anti-Virus software loaded on your computer is not permitting the system on which the company file is currently saved.
Communications are blocked by Windows Firewall.
Hosting configuration settings might be not corrected.
How can I check whether my Current QuickBooks Version is Compatible with Multi-mode use?
To check and analyze whether your current QuickBooks version is compatible with multi-mode use, you need to download QuickBooks File Doctor and run a scan.
Why do I need to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager to avoid QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working error?
You can easily share your company files with the other neighboring computers and look after your multi-user network with the help of the QuickBooks database server manager. After a network is set up, you are required to run the QuickBooks database server manager to allow all the users access to your company files. Don’t forget to run the database server manager in multi-user mode so that multiple users can work on the same company file simultaneously.
How to Install Database Server Manager to resolve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working error?
To do this, follow the below-listed steps:
Download and save Database Server Manager to your desktop.
Tap the database server manager saved before, twice to open it.
Finish the installation process by taking into account the on-screen instructions.
Once done, check the Firewall permissions carefully and grant permission to the database server manager to run on your server computer.
How to Update the Database Server Manager to the Version Same as QuickBooks to Resolve QuickBoothe ks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error?
Updating the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to the version latest same as that of QuickBooks software is very important. Have a look at the steps that are mentioned below to perform this task properly.
The first step is to download the patch.
After that, you are required to finish the entire installation process.
The next and one of the most important steps is to restart the server.
After the server update is done on every system present in the network, a message is displayed on your computer screen confirming the task performed.
Now create a backup file as it will help the other users to access the file once the backup is done.