There is a diverse amount of tools and features that are provided by QuickBooks in order to ease your accounting purposes. Undoubtedly, this can be the reason behind QuickBooks gaining more popularity with each passing day.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
The multi-user mode found in the QuickBooks application software is known to be one of the most important features. This is because it enables multiple users to perform their work on the same company file at the same time. The constant working of a number of components makes this process a little complex.
“QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working” is also known as “QuickBooks Error H202”. This error occurs when the location of the Company file that you are working on is not found on your computer system, but on another system. Also, you don’t even have a copy of the same company file on the server you are working on.
Regardless of the fact that QuickBooks is one of the most flexible accounting software, you can still experience some sort of errors or problems while using it. QuickBooks multi-user mode not working is one such error you might come across. Go through this article till the very end to know more about it so that you can set yourself free of this error while you work.
This particular article thoroughly deals with the responsible factors that can trigger QuickBooks error H202 and the required approaches that can be taken into consideration when you try to fix it.
Primary Causes that Trigger QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error
The multi-user mode found in QuickBooks requires a number of constituents for efficient working. You will not be able to use this mode smoothly if any of these constituents fail to function in a proper manner. Poor internet connection or improper network settings can also lead to malfunctioning of the multi-user mode. Listed below are some of the major causes that may raise QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error:
- If you have not installed QuickBooks on your server computer, it can lead to this error.
- Multi-user mode fails to work efficiently if you do not arrange the hosting settings properly on the network.
- If the computer systems in your network are not compatible with each other because of the firewall.
- You have not granted the permissions to your files or folders properly.
- If the Database server manager is unable to open the company file, it can also trigger QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error.
Prerequisites Before Jumping to Resolutions
Some points must be kept in mind before you try to fix the QuickBooks multi-user mode not working error. They are as under:
- Make sure to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Moreover, you must ensure that the version of the server manager which you have installed should be the same as the QuickBooks version that you are using.
Troubleshooting the QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error
Below are the methods which can help you resolve the error “QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working”:
Method 1: Make Use of the QuickBooks File Doctor.
To use QuickBooks file Doctor, follow the below-listed steps:
- To begin with, download the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Now, select the ‘Run‘ option. Located on Intuit’s website, this tool helps you to check if your computer system has been set appropriately for the proper functioning of QuickBooks multi-user mode or not.
Once you are done with these settings successfully, try to run the file doctor again and see if the error still persists or it is resolved. If it does, switch on to the second method.
Method 2: Make use of QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- The very first step is to open and navigate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager found on your computer desktop.
- Then, open the Start menu and enter ‘Database‘ in the space provided.
- After that, click on the Browse option and search for the required folder in the company files if you are not able to locate it.
- Finally, click on the Ok button followed by hitting the Scan button.
If you follow the steps listed above properly, you will be able to mend the firewall permissions easily. If it still could not help fix the error, move ahead.
Method 3: Verify the Host Mode Settings of Every User’s Server.
This can be done by following the below-listed steps:
- The first step is to explore the QuickBooks File menu on your computer system.
- Then, open Utilities.
- If you see “Host Multi-User Access” appearing on the list, move to the other system in the queue. This is because it just indicates that the system you were at earlier was not the one hosting the company file.
- But, if “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” gets displayed on the list, in that case, you are supposed to enable the QuickBooks single user mode followed by disabling the hosting.
- After successfully disabling the hosting mode on all the computer systems, check if the error “QuickBooks multi-user mode not working” is resolved.
Method 5: Verify if QuickBooks is Running its Services Properly.
You need to ensure that QuickBooks DBXX (where XX denotes the year of QuickBooks version.) and QBCF Monitor Service are working properly on the server computer. If you want to use the QuickBooks services in its multi-user mode, have a look below for the associated steps.
- As the first step, on the windows search bar, you are required to begin by filling “services.msc” in the space provided. After that press the enter key.
- Then, search for QuickBooks DBXX service and see if it is displayed on the Services window. If yes then go ahead. If it does not appear, then take into account the below-mentioned steps:
- You must check if you have done the installation process for the database server manager appropriately on the server or not.
- Post that, go and search for the corresponding updated version of the Database Server Manager. This is because of the fact that once you are done with the complete installation of the QuickBooks application software on your Desktop, it also provides the manager with the upgraded version every year.
- You are supposed to make sure that you enable hosting on the server if you witness the entire program running on your computer system.
- After successfully completing these steps, click on the QuickBooks DBXX service twice. You will either find the options like “Running” or “Start” option if the service is started.
- Having done the steps above, go and choose the option ‘Restart the QuickBooksDBXX Service‘ for the first, second and successive failed attempts, located just below the Recovery tab.
- At last, you simply need to perform the entire set of steps once again for a quick QBCF Monitor Service.
Now that you must have followed all of the mentioned steps, you are then required to explore QuickBooks in the multi-user mode on each of the server computers involved in the network so as to check if the error is resolved.
If the same issue still exists and an error is raised cross-check your QuickBooks DBXX service membership. Make a note that the membership needs to be a part of the administrative group with having granted all the necessary permissions.
Method 6: Ensure that QuickBooks is Capable of Sending Data
- Now this method comprises two internal steps, the first step is required to be followed in the below-listed ways:
- Firstly, you are required to change the settings of antivirus software and the firewall.
- If the error occurs because of the settings on the firewall, do the required changes to it. This is done for the ports used by QuickBooks software when data transmission is going on.
- However, if an antivirus is a reason behind the occurrence of error then you have to configure it so as to debug the error.
- In the next step, you need to do the file path testing in order to verify whether QuickBooks is able to communicate with the server in a proper manner or not. To do this, take a glance at the steps below:
- Type the server name in the Run command section and press the Enter button.
- Next, use the UNC path (Universal Naming Convention) from the user computer to hover over the shared folder in the server.
- Make use of the UNC path to switch to the QuickBooks Company File.
Method 7: Make a New Company File
- If you want this step to work properly, then you are required to make a new folder for the company file. Remember, this step is supposed to be performed on the host computer only.
- Grant the windows permission to access the newly made folder after it has been completely set up. This way you can make sure that the company files are being shared to all the systems in the network.
- The last and final step is to copy the .qbw file to the new folder. And then see if the multi-user mode is open in the company file. If it is, the error has been resolved.
The above article deals with a brief description of the QuickBooks Multi User Mode Not Working error, its primary causes, and the associated troubleshooting steps. After carefully following the debugging approaches listed above, if you still fail to help yourself out, feel free to contact the Dancing Numbers experts via LIVE CHAT.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
What are the Possible Causes for the “QuickBooks Multi-user mode, not working” issue?
There are might be a couple of reasons for the “QuickBooks Multi-user mode not working” error to take place:
QuickBooks was unable to fetch the IP address for the current system in use.
The Anti-Virus software loaded on your computer is not permitting to the system on which the company file is currently saved.
Communications blocked by Windows Firewall.
Hosting configuration settings might be not corrected.
How can I check whether my Current QuickBooks Version is Compatible with Multi-mode use?
To check and analyze whether your current QuickBooks version is compatible with multi-mode use, you need to download QuickBooks File Doctor and run a scan.
Why do I need to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager to avoid QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working error?
You can easily share your company files with the other neighboring computers and look after your multi-user network with the help of the QuickBooks database server manager. After a network is set up, you are required to run the QuickBooks database server manager in order to allow all the users access to your company files. Don’t forget to run the database server manager in multi-user mode so that multiple users can work on the same company file simultaneously.
How to Install Database Server Manager to resolve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working error?
To do this, follow the below-listed steps:
Download and save Database Server Manager to your desktop.
Tap the database server manager saved before, twice to open it.
Finish the installation process by taking into account the on-screen instructions.
Once done, check the Firewall permissions carefully and grant permission to the database server manager to run on your server computer.
How to Update the Database Server Manager to the Version same as QuickBooks so as to Resolve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Error?
Updating the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to the version same as that of QuickBooks software is very important. Have a look at the steps that are mentioned below in order to perform this task properly.
The first step is to download the patch.
After that, you are required to finish the entire installation process.
The next and one of the most important steps is to restart the server.
After the server update is done on each and every system present in the network, a message is displayed on your computer screen confirming the task performed.
Now create a backup file as it will help the other users to access the file once the backup is done.