In QuickBooks software if you want to share the data with multiple users. Then you have to setup and install a multi-user network for QuickBooks Desktop. This helps you to setup the multi-user network so that you can share the company files from one computer to another.
Here you get to know about what are the steps that you have to do according to you. Follow each step properly to get it done.
Solution Steps to Set up and Install a Multi-user Network for QuickBooks Desktop
For the setup, you have to do adjust the settings of QuickBooks Desktop, Server, and the Windows operating system. So the steps to do these settings are mentioned below:-
Step 1: Set up QuickBooks Desktop
- Download the QuickBooks Desktop on the Windows.
- Go to a good source of the download Link.
- Then download the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Save the file to the default that is Downloads folder.
- Install the QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer.
- Go to the downloaded installation file of QuickBooks Desktop.
- The location of the file is the Downloads folder.
- Double-click on the .exe file to open it.
- Then it shows you the type of installation.
- Click on the Custom and Network Install for the install type.
- Then click on the I will be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, and I’ll be storing…. if you want the full version of QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer.
- If you want the server computer to host the files then click on the option I will not be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer….
- Then follow the instructions that you get on the screen to get it done.
Step 2: Set Folder Permissions
- Firstly, Verify all the Correctly Set Permissions:
- Open the File Explorer on your system.
- Go to the folder having your Company files of QuickBooks.
- Right-click on the folder and then choose the Properties option.
- In the Properties window, click on the Security tab.
- Then click on the Advanced option.
- After that, click on the QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Then select the Edit option to edit it.
- Now, you have to set the settings to allow it that is:-
- Write Attributes
- Read Attributes
- Create Files or Write data
- Traverse Folder or Execute File
- Read Permissions
- Read Extended Attributes
- List Folder or Read Data
- Write Extended Attributes
- Create Folders or Append Data.
- When Permissions are not set correctly:
- Open the File Explorer.
- Go to the folder having the company files.
- You have to right-click on the folder having company files.
- From the shown options, select the option Properties.
- Then in the window of Properties.
- Click on the Security tab.
- Choose option Edit to set permissions correctly.
- Select the QBDataserviceUserXX.
- Then click on the Full Control.
- Select Allow option to provide full access.
- Then click the button Apply and then click the OK button.
Step 3: Install Database Server Manager
The Database Server Manager helps you to share the company file from your computer to another computer. So this is also installed with your QuickBooks Programs that you download and installs on your system. Do check that it is installed properly by configuring it. The steps for checking its working are:-
- In Windows system.
- Then go to the Start menu search bar field.
- Then type the Service.
- Click on the Services to open it from Results.
- In the Services, click on the QuickBooksDBXX and open it.
- Click on the tab named General.
- In this tab, locate the service status section.
- If it is running then click on Stop.
- Now from the drop-down menu of startup type, choose Automatic option.
- Click on the tab Logon and then click on the option Local System Account.
- In the Recovery tab, click on the Restart the Service from the drop-down menus of
- First Failure
- Second Failure
- Subsequent Failures
- Click on the General tab.
- In this, hit on Start to restart your QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Step 4: Set Admin Rights
- Firstly, close the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Then open the Control Panel.
- In Control Panel window, click on the User Accounts.
- Locate for the QBDataServiceUserXX according to your QuickBooks Desktop version. Like
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2021 – QBDaraServiceUser31
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2020 – QBDaraServiceUser30
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2019 – QBDaraServiceUser29
- For QuickBooks Desktop 2018 – QBDaraServiceUser28
- Click on the change account type.
- In this, click on the Administrator option.
- Click on the Change Account Type then click on the Administrative option.
- After that, click on Change account type.
- Hit on Apply button to save all the changes.
- If you have more than one QuickBooks account then choose according to version of your QuickBooks desktop.
Steps 5: Use Database Server Manager
- Scan your Folders:
- Open the Server Computer.
- Go to the search box of Start menu.
- Then type QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Press Enter button to open it.
- You have to click on the tab of Scan Folders.
- Click on the Browse button to search for the company file.
- Then click on the OK button when you are all set.
- Monitor the Drives:
- You have to click on the Monitored drivers tab.
- Now tick mark the hard drive check boxes that contains the company files.
- If you ever change the location of company file then you won’t have to scan it again.
- Manage the Database Server Manager:
- In this, the system tab helps you to find where the Database Server Manager is installed on the computer.
- The tab of Database server provides you the real-time status related to the tool, and also who is connected to it.
Step 6: Turn On the Hosting
When you have set up outside of QuickBooks then you have to turn on the Multi-User Access on the server computer. Your server computer is the only one that already have this feature turned ON. The steps to turn On hosting are:
- In your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on File menu option.
- Then further select the Utilities option.
- After that, click on the Host Multi-User Access.
- Now, click on the Yes button to confirm.
- It helps you to host the computer files over the network.
In this article, you get to know about how you can set up and install a multi-user network for QuickBooks Desktop. You have to follow the solution steps that helps you to fulfill all requirements and check for all the things to fix it out for running it smoothly.
Need Some one on one QuickBooks Assistance?
How can I change the Permissions for Ownership of the folder after installing and setting up the multi-user Network for QuickBooks Desktop?
In your Windows system, open the File Explorer.
Click on the folder that you want ownership for.
Then click on the Share option.
Click on Advanced Security.
Further select option Change then click on Advanced.
Now, select Find Now.
You have to select the user whom you want to give the ownership.
Then click the OK Button to finalize it.
Does Database Server Manager installed separately in setup and Install a Multi-user Network for QuickBooks Desktop?
It totally depends on the situation. In case, you have freshly downloaded the QuickBooks software then it comes with it automatically. In this you have to configure it only. But if it got damaged then you have to download it separately. Then you have to do its setup properly.
Can I perform Clean install in case of any problem or error happen when going to do setup and install a multi-user network for QuickBooks Desktop?
Yes, you can easily perform the clean install on your system in case of any QuickBooks related error or problems. As in clean install you have to uninstall and then reinstall your QuickBooks Desktop software with proper process.