If you are a frequent QuickBooks user, It is mandatory for you to learn how to customize and include specific information in your particular sales forms.
With QuickBooks Online, you get the tools to prepare highly professional and customized-looking estimates, invoices, along sales receipts.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Online. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Personalizing the layout and appearance of sales forms is an easy way but useful way to boost the communication of your business. You do not require a designer to create captivating forms. Not to mention, you can decide what details your customers can view and only include the information that is crucial for your business.
Why It is important to Customize Sales Forms/Invoice?
Considered the best small business accounting software and invoicing software, QuickBooks Online is distinguished with its professional-looking estimates, invoices, and sales receipts. However, the default forms are not very remarkable. Hence, It is highly suggested to customize the invoice receipts along with estimates to boost your brand and enhance business communication. It is also possible to boost brand awareness and uplift brand recognition with a nicely created logo on a special invoice.
Furthermore, customized sales forms can assist you in boosting your sales in many ways. For instance, personalizing the design of your invoice makes it appear very professional and appealing, which may, in turn, inspire your customers to pay quickly and consider conducting several transactions with you in the days to come.
How to Customize an Invoice in QuickBooks Accounting Software?
Here are few steps given for you to understand the procedure. Kindly refer them carefully.
- In the first step, you are required to turn on the QuickBooks accounting software on your system. Once it’s done now, click ‘Sales‘ and then ‘Invoices‘ from the left navigation bar as shown in the below screenshot.
- In the second step, you will see the list of invoices created so far in the invoice window.
- In the third step, you are required to choose the ‘Invoice‘ that you are required to customize by clicking anywhere on the invoice. Here is an example given for better understanding:
- Now, you are required to edit Invoice screen appears. The home panel has the design, Content and emails. Design is selected automatically. Hit on the “Dive in Templates” – various design options are visible just down to the “Design“. Choose the design which you see if it’s ok for you like if you want to keep it bold we have selected “Bold“. Any time you can change the template by hitting “Change up the Template“.
- Once it’s done now you need to amend the font color, style, size and edit print settings.
- To modify the content of the invoice, hit on “Content” from the first panel and after that on the right side, on the invoice template, you can amend the content from top to bottom – begin from anywhere as you want by hitting the edit option (pencil icon). Also, ensure that you will include the PDF on the invoice emails.
How to Customize Invoices and Estimates with the New Layout in QuickBooks Online
With the new version of estimates and invoicing, it is possible to update and customize your forms as you are preparing them. All the tools you require in order to customize estimates and invoices that are on the particular form itself.
Make sure that any logo or customization updates you create on your estimates or invoices will be applicable to future and existing estimates and invoices. Any changes to your company details will update your company details in QuickBooks everywhere.
Note: It is important to note that sales receipts cannot be customized.
Here are the steps to customize invoices:
- Navigate to Sales. Now click Invoices or Estimates.
- Choose Create Estimate or Create Invoice to make a new form. You can also edit an existing form. For that, you need to choose an estimate or an invoice from the list and choose View/Edit.
- In order to update the details of your company information, choose Edit Company on the given form. Make the required changes and then choose Save.
- In order to edit the company logo, choose the particular logo on the form. Then choose an image from your system and choose Open that will update the logo.
- To remove or add fields, edit the color scheme, or turn on the payments on invoices. Now choose Manage⚙.
- In the panel on the side, choose Invoice Settings or Estimate Settings.
- Choose the drop-down▼ for every section to witness the customization options.
- Select what information is shown on your form by turning the switches on or off. The form preview gets updated as the changes are made.
- Choose Payment Methods or Deposit to personalize the payment option or turn them off. It is important to note that the Payment Processing service is an added feature. It is important to note that this particular feature navigates you to the Recurring Invoice Form.
- When it is complete, Press Save.
How to Customize Invoices and Estimates with the Old Layout in QuickBooks Online
Prepare customized templates for your estimates, invoices, and sales receipts. It is also possible to save several templates for every type, select a default, or shift between them.
Note: The “Standard” default template signifies all your particular forms. In case you make any changes to this particular template, QuickBooks will implement them in all your forms. If you wish to customize a particular form, make a new template for that particular form initially. Once you apply personalization to the particular new template, it is crucial that you make it the default template to showcase the edits.
Here are the steps to customize your invoices/sales forms:
Step 1: Create a New Template
- Navigate to Settings⚙ and then choose Custom Form Styles.
- Choose the New Style.
- Choose the kind of form you would want to prepare a template for.
Step 2: Customize the Appearance
Let us begin with the design and layout. Once you are done with changes, you will witness a preview of the edits done in the template.
- Choose Design.
- Provide a name for your template.
- Choose the option, Change Up the Template to select a layout. Such layouts are fixed. In case you wish to use Stock Keeping Units or prepare Progress Invoices, you need to access the Airy new design.
- Choose the option, Make Logo Edits to hide or change your logo.
- In order to change the logo, choose Add+ on the particular image. Choose the option, Add a New One or any of the saved logos. It is possible to save several logos however, it is possible to use only one logo at a time.
- To change to logo placement and size, choose the size and placement icons.
- To conceal the logo, choose Hide Logo.
- Choose Try Other Colors to select a color scheme. You can add a HEX code to get a completely custom color.
- Select Choose a Different Font to edit the size and the font.
- Choose Edit Print Settings to change the margins. This is crucial in case you provide printed forms to your clients.
Step 3: Customize the Details on Your Particular Forms
There are many options that can be selected to customize the details of your particular forms. Here are the steps to get started and key tips for every section of the particular form.
- Choose Content.
- Choose the table, header, or footer on the particular sample form to begin editing the particular section. It will be possible to change every section individually.
- Choose the checkmarks beside the fields you wish to show on your form. Then choose a different section on the particular sample form to personalize it.
- When you are all set to save your changes, choose Done.
Now let us learn briefly about a few of the customization options for the Table, Header, and Footer.
Choose the header section to personalize what is being shown. Here is a list of certain things to remember when you customize the header:
- The information about your company will come up in sales form headers automatically. Access the checkboxes to include or remove what your clients can witness. It is possible to update the text fields to change what is being displayed.
- Review the checkbox for Form Number to make QuickBooks include estimate or invoice numbers to your particular form.
- It is possible to include custom fields to your particular form with the help of the steps given below:
- Choose the Header section.
- Choose the option, Manage Custom Fields.
- Based on your specific QuickBooks Online plan, you must implement the steps to include custom fields for Essentials, Plus, or Advanced.
Choose the table section to personalize it. Here is a list of certain things to ensure when you customize the table.
- You can select how you wish to show your description, rates, and quantities.
- To show separate columns for item quantities, descriptions, and rates, choose the checkboxes for Quantity, Description, and Rate.
- You can also keep the things in one column by choosing the Product/Service checkbox and then clicking the checkbox for Include Description Here.
- You can also choose the checkbox for Description and then click the checkbox Include Quantity and Rate.
- If you wish to reorder the columns, choose Reorder and then take it to a new place on the list.
- To edit the column size and name, choose Edit Widths and Labels.
- You can alter the column name by changing the text fields and changing the width by shifting the sliders.
Choose the footer section to personalize what is being shown on your footer. Here are the list of the things to take into consideration to customize the footer:
- Choose the Discount checkbox if you provide a discount and wish to show it on the form.
- It is possible to personalize a message to your client and include text in the footer of the particular form. Just complete all the footer and message fields. Then select the font size and placement with the dropdown fields.
Step 4: Customize the Email Message
Turn things personal by altering the message customers witness when they get their invoices, estimates, or sales receipts.
- Choose Emails.
- Select if you wish to show details or a summary by choosing Summarized Details or Full Details.
- If you would want to include a PDF with a complete pricing breakdown, choose the checkbox with PDF Attached.
- Edit the subject line, message body, or greeting by adding your customized text. It is important to note that QuickBooks does not display shortened URLs when emails are sent to customers.
Step 5: Switch ON Online Payments
As a default, invoices are not set up for digital payments. In order to get paid quicker, set up QuickBooks Payments to enable your clients to pay their invoices online.
Step 6: Choose and Utilize a Template for Invoices, Estimates and Sales Receipts
QuickBooks access your default template every time you create a new sales receipt, invoice, or estimate. You can choose a new template for particular transactions from the form directly:
- Choose or open an existing sales receipt, invoice, or estimate.
- Choose Customize in the particular folder.
- Choose a custom template from the given list.
- Choose Save and Close.
Step 7: Create a Default Custom Template
QuickBooks access the first custom template that you have designed as your default for sales receipts, invoices, and estimates. To edit the default custom template, you need to:
- Navigate to the Settings⚙ option. Now choose Custom Form Styles.
- Locate your template.
- Choose the dropdown▼ in the given Action column.
- Choose Make default. You will witness default is being shown by the default template name.
Step 8: Change Custom Templates
In order to handle your custom templates:
- Choose Settings⚙. Now click Custom Form Styles.
- Locate your standard or custom template.
- Choose Edit in the given Action Column.
- Make any changes if needed. Now choose Done.
We hope that after reading this article, you will have a comprehensive idea about how to customize invoices in QuickBooks Online. In this article, we have highlighted all the steps to customize sales forms or invoices in the old and new layouts in QuickBooks Online.
So, In this module we have learned about how to customize the design of the sales forms in QuickBooks accounting software considering making multiple invoice templates for various types of sales. For example, you might wish to amend the purchase order number or the payment method. If you are facing any issue or have any query, so our team is here to assist you with your issue or query.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Possible to use the Default Sales Form in QuickBooks?
Yes. It is possible to use the default sales form in QuickBooks. But, we suggest that you prepare and personalize your sales forms to strengthen the image and professionalism of your organization in front of the clients. Invoices that have custom designs appear different in comparison to usual invoices.
What are the Three Ways to Customize Invoices in QuickBooks?
To customize invoices in QuickBooks, there are three feasible options:
What is the Procedure to Amend the Date or Number Format?
To amend the data or number format, you are required to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- In the first step, navigate to the Settings, and after that select Account and settings.
- Now, In the second step, navigate to the Advanced.
- After that, you need to select the edit option (pencil icon) which is there in the Other preferences tab, and now choose the date or number format which you wish to use.
- Now, Choose the Save option and then click on done.
- Once the above steps are complete you will see that the date and number format will apply on new form styles.
How to Order the Purchase Order Number of the Customer to the Invoice?
Yes, if you are required to enter the Purchase Order number to the invoice, you can manually enter it in the content tab as a custom field in the header section, message to customer in the footer section, or you can also add payment details and footer box in the footer section.
What Procedure Needs to Follow to Edit the Sales Invoice Sequence?
Use the Custom transaction numbers functions to set the own numbering preference. This will add the Invoice number fields where you can enter any number or letter format you are required.
- In the first step, you are required to choose the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then Account and settings.
- After that in the second steps, choose the Sales option then choose anywhere within the Sales form content section.
- Once it’s done now you can turn on Custom transaction numbers.
- And finally choose the save option and then done.
You need to go to the invoice or any sales form, and mention the invoice number or any letter in the Invoice no. field you wish to use for the forms. Also, you need to know that whatever sequence you will choose here will automatically reflect to all sales forms.
What is the Procedure to Add the New Column in the Template?
There is no way to add the new column in QuickBooks, however what you can do it to edit and rename an existing column while customizing the template. You are required to adhere the below-mentioned steps to do so:
- In the first step, you are required to navigate to the Settings icon.
- In the second step, you need to choose the custom form styles.
- Now, you need to create a New style, or you can also select from an existing form you want to edit.
- After that, you are required to choose the table section of the template in the Content tab and choose the edit labels and width.
- Now in the last step you just need to enter the new name of the column in the field, and you are done.
Is there any Way to Add a Photo on Each Product?
No, unfortunately at this time QuickBooks is not able to add a photo on each product. However, we always try to find the ways how to improve our service, so it is advisable to provide your valuable feedback on this by signing in to the QuickBooks account, choosing the Gear Icon in the top right, and after that select feedback.
What Steps need to be Followed to Add the Bank Details to the Bottom of the Sales Invoice, so it is Always Visible on each Invoice Which is Created for Business?
The option to add the banking information is only available when using the Airy New template. If you are required to use another invoice template, you can include the payment details within the message to customer box.
To add the bank details using the Airy New Template, kindly adhere the below given steps:
- In the first step, you are required to click on the Settings icon, then choose the form Styles.
- In the second step, you need to create a new style or edit the current form style.
- After that, choose the content tab, and then choose the footer section of the form.
- Now, you are required to enter the payment details in the payment details field.
- And once the above steps are completed you need to select done.
How Can we Modify the Font Size and Retire Bold?
It is advisable to import the own custom template to get more flexibility with the invoice designs because at this time, it is not possible to modify the font size and retire bold.
What Should we do if there is an Error Message Displays while Adding the Logo to my Template?
In this article we have explained the guidelines and requirements to add the logo to the template like format and size, plus troubleshooting steps to get rid of the common errors.