QuickBooks is an accounting software which provides the facility to create and email the invoices to customers. There are a few options available to use the recurring invoices feature. This facility can be used even if there are different descriptions or items mentioned on the invoice. There is standard procedure in QuickBooks which saves the standard items as a template and permits you to fill the required information once the service is completed, and it’s time to send the invoice to the customer.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Once the invoice is created QuickBooks accounting software has a feature that enables to enter all the invoice information into the ledger at the selected intervals and send an invoice copy to its customer which are declared in QuickBooks accounting software. This process of creating invoices is helpful for the QuickBooks users and their organizations.
If you want to avoid the entire manual hassle, you can also use the workflow to make it happen automatically. If you are using the same amount for the same client, you are required to create the invoice. You need to set the invoice for the automatic process and send the invoices to its customer on the regular basis. This will help the user to save on time and manual effort.
In this article, we will understand the process into detail “How to create & Email Recurring Invoices in QuickBooks“.
Though, the recurring invoices function is usually “set it and forget it,” however, it is necessarily required to have a review on the invoices before sending it. You can review the transactions in QuickBooks Online as a regular part of the workflow. If you have the regular audit, this will help you to get the errors and modify in case it’s required in the automated process. If you select the automatically send invoices option, it will also make the process hassle-free.
How to Set up Recurring Invoices in QuickBooks Online?
Yes, there are multiple ways which we will discuss below in this article. And these two ways are from an existing invoice and from the beginning.
Steps to Create a Recurring Invoice from an Existing Invoice
Let’s discuss the first way, which is to create a recurring invoice from an existing invoice:
You can use that invoice to make a recurring entry if you have already created an invoice in QuickBooks Online for the customer of the business.
- First you need to click on the sales on the left side from the Dashboard.
- Secondly, navigate the invoice you wish to use to create the recurring transaction. After that, you are required to click on the down arrow in the actions column next to the invoice you will be using, then hit on View/Edit. Options are highlighted in red as shown in the below screenshot:
- After that, the invoice which was selected in the previous step at the bottom of the screen, select the option “Make recurring” as highlighted in red in the below screenshot.
- In this step, there is a new screen will be appeared and the invoice you have chosen is copied onto this screen, however there are also few addition fields which user is required to enter to finish the process of creating the template.
Let’s discuss what needs to be entered in the aforementioned blank fields.
- Template Name: Every invoice should have a unique name according to the user’s requirement and wish.
- Type: You will get 3 options in drop down:
- “Scheduled”: This option will create the invoice on the occurrence specified by the user.
- “Reminder”: This option allows the user to set the reminder.
- “Unscheduled”: This will save the recurring invoice as a template however it doesn’t schedule the creation of the invoice.
- Create _ days in Advance: This option will create the recurring invoice prior to use or send the invoice. You need to enter the number of days in advance.
- Customer: There is an option which allows you to create the invoice for one customer to create a recurring invoice for other customer by selecting the option for a different customer’s name in the drop-down menu. All the other information on the invoice will be same. You just need to update the billing information.
- Email: This will give you the option to update or modify the email addresses for the recurring invoice. You can enter the multiple email addresses in the column by adding the comma in between of the email addresses. However, you need to hit on the link below the email field if there is a need to CC or BCC someone else on the invoice
- Options: This will give you three options.
- Automatically Send Emails: If there is a need to send the emails automatically in the QuickBooks accounting software select this option on a specified date “here you need to setup the date in the interval. You can leave this check blank if you are required to update the invoice before it is sent.
- Print Later: This option you can choose if you wish to print the invoices in the coming time.
- Include unbilled charges: Choose this option, and it will allow you to automatically pull the unbilled charges on the invoice every time the recurring invoice is created.
- Uncheck “Automatically Send Emails”: This option will allow you to have a check for the accuracy of the invoice if it’s accurate or not prior sending it to the customer.
- Interval: This function is used for the frequency like what time we are required to create the invoice according to the business requirement. It can be daily, weekly, monthly or yearly or some other time which is the requirement of the business and the customer. There is also the segregation between daily, weekly, monthly or yearly requirement let’s know about it in detail below:
- Daily: In this option you can select the recurrence like how often you wish the invoice to be created, and it can be daily.
- Weekly: In this option, you can also select the option according to the requirement like it can be every one week, every two weeks, every three weeks, and you can choose the frequency as per the need.
- Yearly: This option is very straight option, in this you can just select a month or day when you want to create the invoice according to the business need.
- Monthly: This is very common option and used very often. This option can be difficult to understand because when you select the options to create the invoice on a particular date like 01st, 05th, 07th, or 15th by selecting the day in the drop-down which are available.
- Start date: This is the date option on which you wish the recurrence should be begun. This can also be selected according to the requirement of the business.
- End date: This field will allow you to enter the date like how long the invoices needs to be sent to the customers.
- You can select the non option if you wish the invoice to be automatically created everlasting or infinity.
Kindly know that it is required to verify of the invoice is correctly setup before hitting the “Save template” option which is given in the right bottom corner of the screen to save the recurring invoice.
Steps to Create a Recurring Invoice from Scratch
You can use that creating a recurring invoice template from scratch if you do not have an existing invoice you want to use for your QuickBooks recurring invoice template:
- Firstly, you are required to navigate to the Gear icon in the top right corner of the dashboard, then hit on Recurring Transactions under Lists as highlighted in the below screenshot:
- In the second step, the next screen shows a list of all your recurring transactions in QuickBooks Online. Also, there are multiple recurring transactions – bills, invoices, journal entries, etc. You can use the Filter button to see the relevant entries like bills, invoices, etc. or the types scheduled, unscheduled or reminder.
Also, to create a new recurring transaction, you are required to click on the New button at the top right of this below screen.
Then choose the Invoice as the transaction type from the drop-down list in the popup and hit on the “OK“.
- As highlighted in the below screenshot now you are required to follow the step where you finish the “invoice” part of the recurring invoice template, entering Terms, Product/Service, Description, Quantity, Rate, Amount, Tax and any other fields according to the requirement. Complete the process by hitting the “Save template” option in the right corner.
Why Create QuickBooks Online Recurring Invoices?
You can save time and avoid billing issues by setting up recurring invoices in QuickBooks Online, but you usually won’t need to do this for every customer you work with. There are two common reasons to create recurring invoices:
You often Send a Consumer An Invoice for the Same Purchase.
For subscription-based or service businesses that regularly offer customers the same product or service at the same price, recurring invoices are a great tool. Also, they are effective for businesses whose customers frequently put the same order.
If you have customers who fit this description, You can create a recurring invoice and arrange for it to be emailed to them on a regular basis. The invoice can also be made and kept in the wings for later manual distribution.
On a Regular Basis, You Send an Invoice to a Customer by a Specific Date.
You may have an agreement with a customer that states you will invoice them for any purchases they have made by a certain day of the month, even if your customers only frequently make the same transaction (or any other time interval). You may be billed a customer under a contract that is broken up into phases. You won’t have to stress about forgetting to invoice your customer on time if you set up a regular invoice.
How to Email Recurring Invoices in QuickBooks
Is there anything required to do post creation f the Recurring Invoices in QuickBooks accounting Software?
Once the schedule the recurring invoice is complete, the emails are now set for the automation. However, you are still required verifying the recurring entries.
- Once the invoice is created the “Previous Date” section is visible.
- And when the next invoice is about to be created the “Next Date” file will be visible.
If you have not selected the automation option, you are required to do some work manually.
- Navigate to the “Edit” option which is available at the “Recurring Transactions” page.
- Now you need to choose the options like as pause, duplicate, delete recurring transactions, skip next date, by using the arrow keys.
How to Create Automatic Invoices with QuickBooks
You may manage your finances, pay bills, track your expenses, and generate automated invoices for unpaid work by using QuickBooks in your small business. Without your involvement at the computer, these invoices are generated and sent to your clients automatically. You must set up QuickBooks to make the invoices in order to use this feature, but thankfully doing so is a simple procedure. In business, time is money and automatic invoices save you time.
- First, you have to launch the Web browser and then go to QuickBooks and by using your user ID and password you have to sign in.
- At the top of the QuickBooks window, you have to click “Edit” and to open the “Preferences” window you have to select Preferences from the menu.
- To view the automation settings, select “Invoice Automation” from the navigation menu on the left.
- If you want QuickBooks to generate invoices automatically and notify you of them, click the “Create invoices and tell me about it” button. If you want QuickBooks to generate invoices automatically without informing you, click the “Create invoices and don’t tell me” button.
- To choose how often the automated invoice should be generated, select “Any action,” “Daily,” “Weekly,” “Monthly,” or “Yearly” from the radio buttons.
Creating a recurring invoice assists you in many ways QuickBooks accounting Software sends the same purchase on a regular schedule and by a particular date. We have tried to include all the necessary steps to help you.
Ways to Confirm if the Recurring Invoices were Created
So you are done with delivering the order. You know that everything is fine and there are no complaints. It’s Monday and you want to confirm if the invoices were created and sent. You can do this by:
- Checking Your Inbox – A copy of the Invoice should be there on Your Email ID.
- Looking at an Automatic Transaction Report Grouped by Customer.
- Looking at the Customer Page and Invoice.
How Do I Stop Any Recurring Invoices?
At some time, you should wish to stop or delete some of the bills. You can do this by taking the following few methods that are mentioned below in the screen:
- You have to click Recurrent Transactions under the Gear symbol in the top-right corner.
- Find the required invoice from the list.
- Select Unscheduled > Save Template from the Type menu to stop an invoice.
- To erase the invoice, select Edit > Delete > Yes from the Action menu.
Bonus Activities you can Perform on your Recurring Invoices
Some features that could be useful while managing multiple invoices.
CC yourself to get a copy of your invoices to make sure they are correct and sent to the correct address.
- Company Settings under Gear.
- Choose Sales > Messages Send me a Copy By Email.
With the above article, your doubts will be cleared regarding how to create and email recurring invoices in QuickBooks. In case you are still facing any issue related to this then you can connect with Dancing Numbers experts via LIVE CHAT anytime hassle-free as experts are available round the clock.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.