Users usually look for the .QBW or QuickBooks company file location during emergencies. They can run into a problem or situation where they must discuss or share the material with other users. For these reasons, it may be important for you to understand the location of the data file and how to get there. Users of the software can access various files, including ECML, default, backup, and year files for versions 2017 and 2014. The location of each QBW file can change. It can be located in a number of ways. Windows C: Drive can be checked or use the system’s search option.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
There will be several situations when you wish to change the file location to your choice of folders. This approach will organize things better and not every time you have to hit the search command (CTRL+F). The default location you may or may not find that much appealing and at the time of presentation or office meeting, you would not like to waste the minutes because of such petty issues. All of this can be saved if you just make a folder and save your important files in that one instead of their default location. Learn How to Locate and Change QuickBooks Data File Location.
In order to change the default file location, you have to locate the file first. The default location for any company file of QuickBooks Desktop is going to be “C:UsersPublicPublic DocumentsIntuitQuickBooksCompany Files”. And, for Sage it is C:ProgramDataSageAccounts where you will locate every possible detail or file of QuickBooks. From any of these locations, we should be able to choose the version or the required year of the application your file is using.
Reasons for Finding the Location of the QuickBooks Company File
There may be times when you need to open the QuickBooks company file immediately but are unsure of where to find it. You may also forget where it is, but you must open it quickly. Thus, you should be aware of where the company file is. Knowing where it is will make accessing it simple and time-saving.
You may also find the location of the QuickBooks company file for the following reasons:
- You might wish to find the company file and then remove it depending on the situation.
- You might have accidentally created a duplicate copy of a file while making another one. It might no longer be necessary. So, you might want to find it so you can get rid of it.
- It can be necessary to share the default company file and give others access in order to address certain topics.
- Users have the option of changing the location for work-related reasons. Prior to that, it can be important to know the default location.
Where is the Location of My QuickBooks Company File?
To check where your QuickBooks company files are located, you can enter exact locations. You can enter these places into your system. You can be dropped off right there. As a result, you might not need to take any action. This method mainly functions when the location has already been specified as the default.
You may see a few examples of default QuickBooks company file location addresses below:
|QuickBooks File Name||Location|
|Default or Data Company File||C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files|
|Backup Company File||C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QuickBooks POS Backup File||C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX|
|QuickBooks Entitlement/ECML File||C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client|
|QuickBooks Fixed Asset Manager (FAM) File||C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAMXX\Clients|
Note: The letter “XX” can stand for the file’s year, name, or version. Be aware that these are the possible file locations that the software has created by default.
How to Find the QuickBooks Company File Location?
Using the backup file, the location of the QuickBooks company file can be found. It might disclose the location of the QuickBooks data file. A manual process can be used to locate the file on your system using File Explorer. Also, you can find it by opening the C: Drive. You can also find the path of the .QBW company file using a QuickBooks search.
Follow the below mentioned steps to find the QuickBooks company file location:
Method 1: Finding Through the Backup File
To find the QuickBooks data file location you can move through the file for backup. On your computer, you will need to look for the Search Program and Files option. After getting it, in the search field you have to type *.QBB for QuickBooks. When the search is complete, the file’s location and other information will be shown on the screen.
- Enter the system’s Search Programs and Files dialogue box.
- Look for the phrase *.QBB for QuickBooks.
- Keep a note of the following things after the search is finished:
- File location
- Size of the file
- The last modified date column
- The location and the other information must be properly noted for future use.
Note: The above mentioned steps can be used to find the company files on QuickBooks Enterprise Suite as well.
Method 2: Manually by using File Explorer
Common browsers include File and Windows Explorer. You can use it to find the file already present on your system in addition to browsing. Using File Explorer, a manual search can be done to find the QuickBooks file that is stored by default. You must tap the Windows Start button. Enter the name of this browser in the search field. The Search tab must be opened in order to find the default location of the QuickBooks data file.
- You have to choose the tab Windows Start.
- In the field to search, You have to type File Explorer.
- Then you have to open a browser
- Select My Computer from the option.
- Make sure to include an asterisk (*.QBW) before the extension in the search field.
The search results page can show many files. You can choose the one you have been looking through their names.
Method 3: By Running the C:\ Drive
The locations of all the significant files are located on the C: drive in Windows. Users can quickly find the location of the QuickBooks company file by running through this drive. On the computer screen, click the Start tab. Then you have to press the Control Panel button. Go to Folder Options by selecting the Appearance and Personalization options. The View tab must now be selected.
By following the below steps know how to find QuickBooks file location:
- Either press the Windows key or tap Start.
- Then you have to click Control Panel.
- Select Appearance and Personalization from the menu.
- In this step, You have to click Folder Options.
- Then you have to go to the view option.
- Select Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives that are under Advanced Settings.
- Click Ok to view the computer’s hidden files.
- Select the Start button next.
- The Computer button should then be selected.
- Choosing the C: symbol is also necessary.
- Click the Company Files folder two times here.
- Look for the file with the .QBW file extension.
- Once you find it, right-click on it to find the location of the QuickBooks .QBW file.
- One can also select an option from the sub-menu.
- Select Don’t Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives from the menu now.
- Repeat steps 1 through 7 as necessary.
- Tap Ok to approve the changes after finishing all of this.
Method 4: Searching in QuickBooks
You can look in the accounting software folder for the default location of the QuickBooks company file. You must head to All Programs by clicking the Start button on your computer. You must tap the QuickBooks folder twice. Then simultaneously press the Ctrl and 1 buttons. This will open up the product information page. Following that, you must look for File Information to see its location.
- On the home screen of the computer you have to press the Start tab.
- Then you have to go to All Programs.
- Then you have to click twice on the folder of QuickBooks.
- On the QuickBooks window, Tap the company file’s name twice.
- Start holding down the Ctrl and 1 keys simultaneously.
- It will show the Product Information page. Find File Information here.
- This button will show where the .QBW file is located. Use it.
- Note the location down.
- After that, Leave the folders and go straight there.
Method 5: With Windows Search Option
You may have frequently used the Windows search function. Almost any file, folder, or document on your PC can be found using this feature. This feature can be useful when trying to find the Intuit QuickBooks default .QBW files. Use the Start Menu to search for the Control Panel. Select Appearance and Personalization from the option. Push Folder Options to find the location of the default data file for QuickBooks.
- Go to the Control Panel option by choosing Start.
- Click Appearance and Personalization after that.
- Check out Folder Options.
- Then you have to push the View tab.
- It is necessary to click Don’t Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives.
- By clicking Ok, You can view the system’s hidden files.
- Now you have to click on Start.
- Find the Search Programs and Files box.
- Fill in this field with .QBW.
- Once the search results have been shown, you have to right-click on the .QBW file.
- If you like, you can choose an option from the submenu.
- Don’t Show Hidden Files, Folders, or Drives should be selected?
- The next step is to repeat steps 2 through 8 once more.
- You need to select Ok in order to accept the changes.
The location of the QuickBooks company file will be shown on the screen once you have accepted them. You could note it down.
Note: You might be using an old version of the software. These could be the versions from 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2017. You might attempt to find the company file locations of the software using the methods described above.
How to Find Location of a Company File in QuickBooks Desktop?
Using the defined keyboard keys, you can use QuickBooks Desktop to find the location of the company file. One suggestion for this is to use the keys F2, Ctrl, F1, or 1 in a particular sequence. Alternatively, you can complete the process by using the Accounting Software’s Reports button.
Method 1: Through the F2 Key/Product Information Page
You can complete some actions more quickly by using keyboard shortcuts. Finding the location of the company file for QuickBooks Desktop can be one of these actions. The shortcut keys for this are Ctrl and F2, and they are functional while the software is running. You can use the F1 or 1 key if the combination does not work for the said purpose.
- First you have to open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Then you have to click on the Ctrl key + 2 key or you can click on the F2.
- Your Product Info will display on the screen. You can view the No Company Open Listing in this area, where the file’s location is indicated.
- You can also visit the help page where you can find the directions by using the F1 key or Ctrl + 1 keys.
Method 2: Through the Search Programs and Files Feature
The Search Programs and Files feature can be used to locate the QuickBooks data files on the Desktop version. Normally, Windows found it. For QuickBooks, you must put .QBB in it. The feature will start looking for the data files as soon as you enter them. Once you have selected one, you can check to see if the selected file is accurate.
- Go to the Search Programs and Files section.
- For QuickBooks, You have to enter *.QBB” here.
- Now you have to search for it.
- When the results of the search are revealed, make a note of the file’s location, size, and modification date.
- Now you have to close your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- On the File’s name, Click twice.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop to ensure that the proper file has been selected.
- Then you have to select the Reports option
- Select Custom Reports by clicking it.
- After that, You have to head to Transaction Detail.
- If the file hasn’t been opened correctly, Close it and try again.
Note: This can also be used to find the company file in QuickBooks Enterprise Suite.
Where is the Location of the QuickBooks Point of Sale Data File?
Details regarding the times and locations of the transactions are contained in the point-of-sale file. You can request the file to get this important information. You must go to the C: drive to find it. The Users folder should then be selected. To view the location of the QuickBooks POS file, press Public and then push the Public Documents folder.
- First, You have to go to your Windows computer’s C: drive.
- Next, Click the Users folder.
- Clicking the Public folder is the following step.
- Press the Public Documents folder.
- Go to the Intuit folder now.
- Click QuickBooks POS.
The location of the QuickBooks Point of Sale data file will show up after tapping on this folder. Open your file from here and you can access the data.
How to Rename a Company File in QuickBooks?
Renaming the company file is easy in normal circumstances. All you have to do is to press right click on the mouse and a drop down appears with an option of rename. You choose a name and save. But with QuickBooks, there are certain number of steps that has to be taken, which are described below:
- The very first step is to click on the Go to client’s QuickBooks which is visible on the drop-down at the top.
- Choose the desired company file you want to rename.
- From there, press the Gear icon.
- Under your selected Company, click on Account and Settings tab.
- You need to go to the Company tab on the left panel.
- Click on the Company name section to maximize it.
- Now, change the client’s company name.
You may also ask, How can I change the default backup location in QuickBooks to reorganize the record keeping in the system?
How to Create a Backup File in QuickBooks?
First of all, You need to create a backup. This will help you to retrace your steps if anything goes wrong. Keeping a backup file is always the smartest choice. Please refer to these following steps to create a backup file:
- Go to the File menu, you need to choose a Backup Data.
- Then you should specify the backup location of your choice. In order to back up to the default folder on the local hard drive, choose Default Location.
- Click on Backup action then press Finish.
How to Save a QuickBooks Company Data File?
As mentioned above, it is smart to create a backup file and then try changing location. Here are the steps through which you can create manually Back Up file:
- From the File menu, Please click on Back Up action.
- Click the Back Up action tab on Company File.
- Then you need to click on the Browse button to update the filename
- Indicate the backup location and hit the Save button.
- Optional: You need to choose other items in Back Up Options area.
- Click on the OK button.
Where is QuickBooks Company File Stored?
Any transaction entered in the QuickBooks gets saved at a particular location on the computer. In regular circumstances, you can view the transactions in the QuickBooks itself. However, if certain unforeseen circumstances occur such as deleting of the QuickBooks or Crashing of the QuickBooks you should know the path from where the backup of the company files can be restored. In this article, we will guide you towards the default location where all the QuickBooks company files are located and will also show you the manner in which you can restore the same.
Generally, the default location where the QuickBooks company files are stored is C:\Users\Piublic\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files. Also for the Sage, the default location is c:\Program Data\Sage\Accounts and for VT the default location is C:\Program Files\VT Transactions. In normal circumstances, you should be able to retrieve the company files from the aforesaid location. However in case you are unable to find the files in the said location you can always search for them. In this article, we will guide you how you can search the relevant company file. To make sure that the search command works properly don’t forget to add the asterisk (*) mark before the extension.
Steps to Search the Company Files on Your PC
- Go to the search bar from the Windows Start Menu.
- In the search dialogue box write *.qbb for QuickBooks or *.vtr for the VT transactions and *.001 for sage and press on search.
- When the search completes all the files with the said extension will be displayed. Look for the most recent file from the last modified date and disregard any sample files.
- Make a note of the location of the file.
- The last modified date will display the date when the file was last touched. However, if you tried to log into some older file then that file will display the most recent date.
- While the QuickBooks, VT or Sage Desktop is already closed, double click on the file with a most recent date stamp as well as largest in size.
- To make sure that you have opened the correct file run a custom transaction detail report and view the date of the last transaction.
- If the file opened is not the file that you are looking for repeat step number 6 onwards.
Thus the aforesaid is the location where the company file is stored and can be restored. If you are facing any trouble in understanding any of the aforesaid steps then kindly get in touch with our QuickBooks Technical Support Team on our Toll-Free Number. We have a pool of trained technical professionals who can guide you properly and resolve your QuickBooks related queries.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
Where are the Backup Files of QuickBooks?
QuickBooks ensures to make it convenient as well as efficient. You will be easily able to locate your working or backup files with the help of it. All you need to do is just to select the search a company file option on the No Company Open window. You would normally see this window when you first initiate the QuickBooks program or when you close your company file.
How to Recover a Lost QuickBooks File?
There will be times, when you may need to retrace your steps and you come to know that your back up file is not what you wanted it to be. In that case, you may have to go to the QuickBooks Program to recover your file again, so you can work on it from scratch.
Firstly, Open the QuickBooks account.
You need to select the File menu, then Open or Restore Company.
Click on the restore action with the file based on its type: Windows company file (.qbw) Then you need to choose open a company file, then click on the Next button.
Open the appropriate folder of your choice, and then choose the company file.
Click Open, then enter the password to secure it.
Where can QuickBooks Company File be saved as a Backup?
With QuickBooks, you are enabled to create a backup file that you can save to a USB drive or CD, or to another folder on your company’s network. Once it becomes available at its desired destination computer (where a copy of QuickBooks should already be installed), you will be able to restore it as a backup.
How can the Data be Transferred from Old QuickBooks to the New Version?
It again is a set of steps that will take care of everything. With QuickBooks’ advanced approach, we can achieve our task within no time at all.
First of all, you need to log in to your new QuickBooks version.
Click on the Gear icon for settings.
You need to select the Export data tab.
Then toggle the data you wish to export to On.
Finally you need to choose the Export to Excel button.