Do you know that you may ask your bank to start your checks with a specific number? There are valid reasons against starting your checks with zero, especially if you are just opening a new checking account. So when ordering checks what is the starting check number?
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Starting check number is the number of your first check, Whether you are ordering checks from an existing checking account or a new one. This information is asked by the check printing company to process your check orders.
Continue reading to find out more about Edit, change, and the starting check number in QuickBooks.
What is a Starting Check Number
You will be asked for the starting check number when placing an order for checks for your checking account. If you already have a checking account, you should begin your deposits where your last one ended. Although starting your checks with any number is not necessary against the rules, keeping your check orders in sequential order makes recording and tracking much simpler.
Whether you are ordering checks from an existing checking account or a new one, the starting check number is the number of your first check. It’s a good idea to start with a check number of 1000 when opening a new checking account. It’s rare, but some businesses could refuse to accept your check if it has a low check number. This is done for a number of reasons, including fraud and fear that the check won’t be cleared because it is for a new account.
Actually, as long as a check clears, it shouldn’t matter if the check number is low or high. Starter checks usually have a starting check number of 1000 since banks are aware of this.
How to Edit the Starting Check Number on QuickBooks Desktop?
There can be scenarios when users are required to change or alter the check or begin check number in their particular QuickBooks Desktop prior to printing it or sending it. This particular approach can be taken in two distinct ways. One way is when you wish to edit the check number from your particular QuickBooks menu or during the printing of the check.
Here, we will display to you the method to both edit the check numbers and also change the starting check numbers when printing the checks.
Let us begin with how to change or alter the starting check number in your QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Change the Check Number in QuickBooks Desktop
To begin with the process of QuickBooks change check number, you need to navigate through the Banking menu. Here are the detailed steps for a better understanding:
- Launch the QuickBooks Desktop in your system.
- Now, Go to the Banking menu that is present on the top menu bar.
- Post that, Choose the Use Register button
- Here, you are needed to choose the account where your particular paychecks and checks are saved.
- Once you have found them, press on check and paycheck and check two times in order to open them.
- Now navigate to the Check Number field.
- Now, you need to add the right check number in the given field.
- When the changes are done by you, you need to shut the window
- If notified, then you need to choose the button Yes and save the changes.
In this way, it is possible to change the starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop. All you are required to do is open the particular check from the available Banking menu and do the changes to the check. Post that, you can keep sending the check to the person concerned through QuickBooks.
How to Edit the Starting Check Number during the Printing of the Checks?
If you have landed on the Create Payment page and want to edit the starting check number during the printing of the check, it can be done with ease with the help of the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Banks menu
- Now press on the option for Print Checks.
- Now select the Record Bank Drafts.
- Ensure you choose the EFT Notices and Print Checks in the Payroll.
- Now, you can add the desired details on the available tabs.
- When you are on the particular Format tab, shift to the left and choose the Payment Type.
- In the box for Starting Payment Number, add the right numbers situated on the right
- Once it is complete, press the option, Create Later or Create Now.
By implementing the steps mentioned above, you will be able to edit or change the starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop. Just ensure that you have opened the right check-in payroll.
How to Edit the Check Number in QuickBooks Online?
As mentioned before, arranging the checks in order is a very crucial aspect for business owners. In case you locate any check number in the incorrect sequence, it is possible to change the details manually. All that is needed is to reset the number and then include the right sequence.
To alter the check numbers in QuickBooks Online, you must allow a set of features to enable you to edit the check number if needed in the future.
How to Set the Preferences to Edit Check Numbers?
By stating these preferences, you will be allowed to edit the check numbers if needed. All you need to do is go to the Settings option.
Here is a detailed overview of the steps to set the preferences to change the check numbers in QuickBooks Online:
- You need to log in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- Now go to the icon for Gear, placed on the top right.
- Now you need to press on the page for Account and Settings.
- Now, Shift to the Sales tab.
- Now choose the Sales form content.
- Next, you need to ensure that the option for Custom Transaction Numbers is chosen.
- Once completed, Press the Save button.
- Next, you need to go to the tab for Advanced on the same page.
- Post that, Press on the screen for Other Preferences.
- Here, you need to ensure that the option for Warn if duplicate check number is utilized is chosen.
- Now, Press the Save button in order to save the actions that are applied.
- To complete the process, Press the Done button.
Once the right preferences are set, you will not be able to locate any issues or duplicates with the particular check number in QuickBooks Online.
How to Change the Check Numbers in QuickBooks Online?
If you are able to locate any duplicate numbers and do not want to reset or edit the number, then you are advised to create a new check. This will help you to include the right order for the check.
Here are the steps given below that will help you to edit the starting check number in QuickBooks Online:
- Press the icon for Plus (+).
- Now press on the check.
- Now, you can include the details needed for the check.
- In case you cannot locate the right numbers for the Check No. field, then you can manually include the right check number.
- To complete the process, press the button for Save and Close.
- Now, navigate to the icon for Plus once more.
- Navigate to the Check option to authenticate the number.
With the help of the steps mentioned above, you will be able to change or reset the check number in QuickBooks Online. In case, if needed, you can prepare the check number report to locate which check number has been in use for the particular QuickBooks account till now.
For all business owners, big and small, it is compulsory to put the check number in a normal sequence. But, while making the check, you may locate the number indifferent that can be changed.
In both QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop, the process is not the same as editing the starting check number. That is why we have stated in detail how to alter the starting check number in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop.
Still, if you get confused and need professional assistance, you can get in touch with our Dancing Numbers team of experts. Our team members have all the expertise and knowledge to deal with such issues.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Check Number?
A check number is the third group of numbers on a check, following the routing and account numbers. It is used to identify individual checks and keep track of transactions.
Do Starter Checks have Check Numbers?
Some starter checks may not have pre-printed check numbers. They contain the necessary routing information but may not include personal details such as your name or address. This is because starter checks are meant to be temporary until you receive your personalized checks.
How do you Find Your Starting Check Number?
Your starting check number is the number your checking account began with. It can be chosen by you or the bank, with many starting at 1001 to make the account appear older. There is no set rule for choosing a starting number, so you can start with any number you’d like.
Why do Checks Start at 101?
Checks can start at any number you choose. Many people start at 001, but it’s up to you. The starting number is used to keep track of your checks and is not important to the bank. If you want to start at 101, simply specify that when ordering your checks.
How do You Order Your First Check?
The bank provides some initial checks when you open a checking account. If you need more, you can order them in-person at the bank, online or via a mobile app, or by phone. When ordering in-person, be sure to verify prices and bring your initial set of checks for a smoother process.
Why it is Needed to Change or Print the Starting Check Number in QuickBooks Desktop?
Businesses use checks for multiple numbers of reasons, some of which include:
- Electronic payments are more likely to be scams.
- Sending money electronically does not offer the same purchase evidence that paying via check does.
- Providing physical checks gives assurance to both parties that the particular payment is authentic.
What if you come across an issue to Edit the Starting Check Number in QuickBooks Desktop?
During the editing of the check numbers, you may locate issues. For example, when the check is printed through QuickBooks, the check numbers may fail to be in proper sequence. In such a scenario, you may connect with QuickBooks professionals.