Excel reports are very easy to manage as it takes care of several big calculations with accuracy. Formatting excel becomes wonderful when you easily record a macro in Excel. Macros are defined as small programs that can record your specific actions on excel as you perform a task. Such actions are then saved as a Visual Basic Module, which is another type of program. When you try to run the macro later, it also repeats your keystrokes and thus repeats your actions. This is why macros are considered to be great for automating repetitive tasks on the reports you maintain.
Save Time, Reduce Errors, and Improve Accuracy
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
For example, let’s assume you wish to place your name and your organization’s information in the top-left cell of a worksheet. You can always apply to record a macro in Excel. This will save your keystrokes as you create it once. Then you need to run the macro in the future to repeat the exact same keystrokes you entered. This command enables you to repeat the same process again and again with instant approach.
On the “Developer” tab in the Ribbon, Once it’s enabled, you can see superbly advanced options for creating macros. You can also utilize the “Macros” button group on the “View” tab in the Ribbon. This way, you will be enabled to record a macro in Excel and playback basic macros.
For recording a macro action in Excel, you need to click the “View” tab in the top panel. Then a drop down will appear that includes the option of Macros. Please click on the “Macros” button to proceed further. Another drop-down menu appears, then, select the “Record Macro” command. This will pop open the dialog box of “Record Macro“. Now, in the dialog box, you need to enter a name for the new macro. Macro names should not contain spaces otherwise it will not be saved and it may ask you to do it again. Its first character should also be a letter as per the requirement.
Next step is to rename the workbook which you need to attach the macro. You can select its name from the “Store macro in” drop-down. If you do not make changes in it, it is set into default mode and to save the macro into the current workbook. It is important because a macro program can only be running if it is attached to an open spreadsheet. Another situation can be that it is stored in the “Personal Macro Workbook,” which is a hidden workbook that opens by default when you open an Excel program.
This may require you to create a custom keyboard shortcut for the macro to use. You just need to press the “Ctrl” key, and type the desired shortcut key letter into the text box. While doing it, you also need to ensure that you don’t overwrite an existing shortcut!
For example, the shortcut character of “c” is a bad choice because “Ctrl + C” is already a keyboard shortcut for the “Copy” command. If you are not familiar with the keyboard shortcuts, it may be better if you don’t initiate this process or you can start exploring the keyboard shortcuts. To start recording the given macro’s actions, Hit the “OK” button.
Record a Macro in Excel: Instructions
- To record a macro in Excel, first of all you need to click on the “View” tab in the Ribbon.
- Then you need to select the “Macros” drop-down button in the “Macros” button group.
- Then you should select the “Record Macro action” in order to open the “Record Macro” dialog box.
- In this dialog box, you need to enter a name for your new macro actioned into the “Macro name” text box.
- For creating a custom keyboard shortcut to use in future with the “Ctrl” key, you need to type the desired shortcut key letter into the text box. Ensure it should be next to the “Ctrl +” label. If you choose to do this, then also ensure that you don’t overwrite an existing shortcut like (CTRL + C or P).
- Select the name of the specific workbook to which you wish to attach the macro from the “Store macro in:” drop-down.
- In order to record your macro’s actions, click on the “OK” button and then perform the actions to record.
- Press right click on the “Macros” drop-down button in the “Macros” group to use relative cell referencing when recording a macro.
- Then you need to select the “Use Relative References” command.
- When recording a macro, you should click the “Macros” drop-down button in the “Macros” group in order to switch back to absolute cell referencing .
- Then you should choose the “Use Relative References” command again to switch it off.
- If you wish to stop recording the macro, you need to click on the “View” tab in the top panel.
- Then select the “Macros” in the drop-down menu.
- Then hit the “Stop Recording” button.
Our in-depth knowledge and efficient team is highly appreciated and became a USP for us. By all means, QuickBooks seems to be another platform for getting your book keeping issues to be sorted out. Be it recording simple bank transactions or inflow and outflow of the cash or simple paid hours calculations, you can have it all with QuickBooks.
Accounting Professionals, CPA, Enterprises, Owners
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number 1800-689-5491 or chat with experts.