This is a kind of new feature or benefit that you get with the QuickBooks Desktop 2022 update or release. In this release (R3), you can operate or install multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on one computer.
In this article, you get to know how to install the multiple QuickBooks Desktop 2022 versions on one computer.
You can use multiple versions in case you are using QuickBooks for so long. Another case is if you are an accountant with many clients of QuickBooks Desktop so you can use older and newer versions of QuickBooks Desktop on the same computer.
Here is the process that helps you to install each edition or version one at a time. This is done when you or the user have multiple editions (Pro, Premier, or Enterprise) or versions (years) on one computer.
Things to Consider Before Starting
- The same versions of QuickBooks Enterprise, Premier, and Pro can be installed on one computer.
- You can’t exchange data between QuickBooks versions (years) either. Between QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier, you can’t simply transfer data or corporate files.
- Install files are the same for QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier. The QuickBooks Pro and Premier versions cannot be installed on the same system if they are the same version (year). Different versions, however, can be installed. (For example, Premier 2019 and Pro 2018).
- Each version of QuickBooks Desktop can only have one industry-specific edition installed. Only one of QuickBooks Desktop Premier 2018 Retail or Premier 2018 Contractor can be used on the same system.
- You can use the QuickBooks Desktop of different versions at once. The user can also use Premier 2018 if you’re functioning in Premier 2019. If you use the Accountant version, you can only open Premier and Enterprise versions from the same year.
- QuickBooks regional editions and versions cannot be mixed and matched. A web hosting service or a virtual machine can be used to establish an environment for each area if you require numerous regions on the same computer.
Install Multiple Versions of QuickBooks
The process to install multiple QuickBooks Desktop versions or editions is mentioned in detail. You have to implement it for each of the QuickBooks products you are installing on one computer.
- Firstly, check that if you have download the version or edition. If you have not downloaded then do it and save it on the Windows Desktop or the location where you want to.
- Then go to the downloads, and double-click on the QuickBooks.exe file to open it.
- After opening the file, follow the instructions shown on your screen.
- It asks you for the type of installation.
- Choose the Custom and Network option for installation.
- Now there are options shown to you and these options are:-
- I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer.
- I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer. And I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network.
- I’ll not be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer. I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network.
- You have to choose the option according to your preference.
- After this, when you install the multiple editions or versions then QuickBooks software asks you to replace the current things going on your computer.
- Then don’t replace anything if that is the thing what you want to do.
- For not overwriting the data; you have to create unique install folders for every edition and version of QuickBooks.
- In the window of Change or Upgrade installation location, click on the option Change the install location.
- Choose the option Browse to search for the folder.
- Right-click on the window that opens up and then chooses the create a new folder option.
- Then choose the folder after creating it.
- Further, you get on-screen instructions to follow step by step.
- In the end, click on the Finish button when you are done.
Now, you have to perform this process for each QuickBooks version or edition you want to install on the same system.
When the installation of QuickBooks is done then you have to run for the update to the latest release. If available then do the update by following the below steps:
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Click on the Help menu option.
- From further options, click on the Update QuickBooks option.
- After that, follow the instructions display on your screen.
- Then you are done with the updates if available.
In conclusion, you can easily install multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on one computer. Follow the steps to get it done and you have to follow the steps every time you want to install any version or edition of QuickBooks desktop on the same computer. Just make sure that the version or edition is different from the current version you are using.
For any other query, you can connect with the Dancing Numbers team that helps you to fix the problem. The team members are available 365 days a year to provide you with the best assistance.
What if I want to Move the QuickBooks Desktop to another Computer after installing Multiple Versions of QuickBooks Desktop?
For this, you have to use the migration tool to move QuickBooks Desktop and its company files to the other system. With this, you can only send up to 3 company files. Rest of the files if any you have to do it manually.
How to Set Automatic updates for installed Multiple Versions of QuickBooks Desktop so that I don’t have to do it manually?
For automatic updates, here are the detailed steps that you have to follow:
In your QuickBooks software, click on the Help menu option.
From the drop-down menu, click on the Update QuickBooks Desktop.
Click on the Update Now tab.
Choose the Get Updates for starting the downloads.
After completing the download, restart the QuickBooks software.
After restarting, it pop-up the dialogue box asking for installing a new release on your system.
When done, you are all set to use your latest QuickBooks software.
What are the Steps to Check for the Latest Updates when you are done Installing Multiple Versions of QuickBooks Desktop?
To check for updates follow the steps below:
Open your QuickBooks software.
From the keyboard, press and hold Ctrl + 1 key or press the F2 key.
It opens up the window of Product information on your QuickBooks screen.
Now check about the release and version you are using to know that you are using the older or newer software.