Everybody loves to work without any kind of hassle or disruption. That’s why software developers and engineers strive to make their applications flawless in every aspect, from installation & interfacing to operation, performance, dependencies, security, and everything else. Still, errors and glitches can occur due to a variety of reasons, necessitating the need for precautionary measures and error resolution documentation.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
QuickBooks is a market leader in the accounting software domain. And, despite its superb features and unmatched performance, it, too, can often face certain glitches and errors that can bring things to a standstill. Error 5502 is one such troublemaker.
If you are often having trouble with QuickBooks Error 5502, want to know why it occurs, and wish to resolve it once and for all, this article will assist you in the best way possible. Let’s dive right in!
What Causes Error Code 5502 in QuickBooks?
In order to resolve any kind of application error, one must first be able to pinpoint the reasons behind it. When it comes to QuickBooks Error 5502, there can be multiple reasons behind it.
Some of the most common reasons behind Error 5502 are as follows.
- One of the most common and intuitive among them all is, obviously, power or connectivity issues. This disconnects the client application/workstation from the server and prevents the QuickBooks Sync Manager to synchronize file states between the client & server.
- Issues with the Sync Manager can also cause the error to appear.
- Incorrect file extensions can also lead to Error Code 5502.
- Damaged or corrupted files are another major cause.
- Storing company files to be updated on an external storage device or on the cloud can lead to this error.
- QuickBooks will display the 4402 error if there is any external interference with the QuickBooks synchronization process.
- If users or companies rename a file during expansion, then sync error 5502 will occur.
- A viral or malware infection can corrupt the application and all associated files leading to sync error 5502.
- Modifications to QuickBooks files by any third-party application are a big cause.
- Issues with QuickBooks own online services can cause Error 5502 to appear on the screen.
Well, now that we are aware of the most common causes behind QuickBooks Error 5502, Let’s look at the four most prominent ways of resolving them.
Know the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 5502
The QuickBooks Error 5502 is code that indicates an ‘out-of-sync’ condition. This means that the client QuickBooks application has not been able to synchronize its files properly with the QuickBooks server.
- When Error 5502 occurs, users will be unable to avail of QuickBooks online services.
- Normal operations will also cease to work as they are supposed to.
- Businesses will not be able to access, update, or change file size when 5502 happens.
- Error 5502 can slow down performance and cause the application to shut down out of the blue.
- User will be unable to access or update files on the application server if this error is not resolved quickly.
- QuickBooks, other applications, or the entire computer system can freeze or shut down abruptly.
- Mouse and keyboard inputs may lag or stop responding altogether.
QuickBooks will either of the two following messages when Error 5502 occurs:
“Sync is not complete properly.”
“QuickBooks data has been updated, but failed to connect via the server”
The Error 5502 messages make it clear that the application could not connect to the server, the sync has failed and remains incomplete.
Let’s now take a look at the most common reasons that lead to the error.
Quick Solution Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 5502
The following are the eight most effective ways to eradicate Error 5502 entirely.
Solution 1: Renaming Configuration Files
QuickBooks uses configuration files with .ND( Network Data) extensions that enable the client application to interact with the server. Things may go awry if those configuration files are damaged. Fixing them by renaming .ND files will lead to QuickBooks creating new files.
The Steps are as Follows:
- Go to the folder containing the saved company configuration files.
- Find the .ND files.
- Right click on those files and use the Rename option to change their names.
- Add .OLD at the end of the extension of the configuration files.
- Press Enter and then check whether Error 5502 persists or not.
Solution 2: Move the Company file to another location
Move the location and extension of a damaged company file can fix error 5502. To do so, abide by the steps mentioned below:
- Create a new folder on the Desktop and name it Test.
- Navigate to the folder containing the QuickBooks company files.
- Copy that file and paste it into the Test folder on the desktop.
- Rename the extension of this pasted file from .QBW to .QBM.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and then double-click on the QuickBooks application icon.
- DO NOT release the Ctrl key until the ‘No Company Open‘ window opens.
- Once the window appears, choose either the ‘Open‘ or ‘Restore an Existing Company‘ options.
- Open your company file from the Test folder.
- Once your work is done, rename the extension back to .QBW.
- Repeat the process whenever the error occurs.
Solution 3: Use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager Wisely
The QuickBooks Database Server Manager enables the user to work with company files in multi-user mode without any hitches. Sometimes Error 5502 can be resolved by running the Database Server Manager directly.
- Go to the Server Computer and open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on the ‘Open or Restore Company‘ option under the File tab.
- Then, select the ‘Open A Company File‘ option and find out the location of the associated data file.
- Press ‘Next‘ and then select the ‘Open File in Multi-User Mode‘ box. Then press Open.
- Access the data file using your login credentials.
- Open the ‘File‘ drop-down menu as well.
- Then, Log off and wait for the corresponding server company file to close as well.
- Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager in Windows and open a new window.
- Click on the ‘Scan Folders‘ option and then hit Browse.
- Find the folder where your company file is present and then click OK.
- Select the ‘Start Scan‘ option to run the scanning process.
- Once complete, Try to Access the file.
Solution 4: Do A Fresh Install
If no solution works, then it is best to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks. This will remove all bugs & inconsistencies, as well as update your application to the latest version.
- Uninstall QuickBooks using the Add/Remove Programs option in Windows.
- Open the Windows File Explorer, Locate the folder, and then the company file.
- You might find the file in any of the following locations-
- C: \ Users\ (Current User) \ AppData
- C: \ Program Files \ Intuit \QuickBooks
- C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Intuit \ QuickBooks
- Rename the installation folder.
- Add OLD at the end of the folder name.
- Then, Reinstall QuickBooks and check for a resolution.
Solution 5: Use the Task Manager to Terminate QuickBooks Processes
Killing QuickBooks process threads can resolve Error 5502 as well.
- Open Windows Task Manager by pressing Alt+ Ctrl +Del together or from the Windows Taskbar.
- Go to the Processes tab in the task manager and look for the following process threads:
- Right-click on each process and click End Task.
- Click Yes to conclude.
Solution 6: Update the QuickBooks Sync Manager
Issues and malfunctions with the Sync Manager can cause the error too. If that’s the case, then here’s how to fix it.
- Select the Intuit Sync Manager from the System Tray.
- Choose a specific company.
- Disable Sync from the ‘Sync Enabled‘ option.
- Do this for every company.
- Once done, Navigate to the Help menu and select ‘Manage Data Sync‘.
- After selecting, Choose ‘Clear Sync Settings‘ and click OK.
- Exit both the QuickBooks Desktop application as well as the sync manager.
- Then find the sync manager file from C: \ Users \ App Data \ Local \ Intuit \ Sync Manager and rename it by adding OLD at the end of the file extension.
- In case the error still persists, Visit the official Intuit website and download the latest version of the sync manager.
Solution 7: Update the QuickBooks Desktop with Latest Version
Outdated versions of QuickBooks can cause a lot of trouble, the least of which is Error 5502. Follow the steps below to Update QuickBooks to the Latest Version.
- Open QuickBooks on the desktop.
- Navigate to the Help Menu.
- Select the Update QuickBooks option, then click Update Now, and then on the Get Updates option.
- After the application downloads all updates, Choose which updates to install.
- Let the application install without interrupting it.
Activating Automatic Updates can make Things much more Hassle-free.
- Choose the Help Menu in QuickBooks and then click on the Update QuickBooks option.
- Then select Options and then Automatic Updates.
- Select YES.
- Click on Apply Changes and then Press Save & Confirm.
Solution 8: Move the Entire Corporate File Folder
To overcome QuickBooks Error 5502, Move Your Company’s file folder to an external device or storage as follows:
- Open QuickBooks and opt for the company files you wish to migrate.
- To access the Product Information window, press F2 or Ctrl + 1.
- Search the file information portion of the window for the location of the corporate file on your hard disc.
- Launch the file explorer from the Windows Start menu.
- Find the folder containing the company file.
- Copy this folder by right-clicking it and selecting the copy option.
- Move the files to an external storage device or a new folder by selecting Paste in that folder or hitting Ctrl + V.
- The entire folder is changed, and you may now transfer it to a new computer or another location on the hard disc.
The article shed light on the nitty-gritty of the QuickBooks Error Code 5502. You get to learn about the causes, indications of the occurrence of the error, and the various steps you need to follow in order to resolve the issue quickly.
However, If you have a hard time understanding the steps, then you should get in touch with a professional QuickBooks expert. And if you have further queries pertaining to the QuickBooks Error Code 5502, you should reach out to our Dancing Numbers team.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Effect does QuickBooks Error 5502 have on the System?
The error degrades system performance by making it slow and unresponsive. The problem message keeps appearing, and accessing the corporate file becomes difficult.
What is the Single Most Important QuickBooks Error 5502 Troubleshooting Method?
By login in as administrator, you should try to update the sync manager. Allow the procedure to finish successfully before rebooting the machine to apply the modifications.
What is QuickBooks Sync Manager?
The QuickBooks Sync Manager makes it simple for users to create and maintain replicated QuickBooks data files. This simplifies data access from a single database.
How to Resolve Error 5502 in QuickBooks Pro?
There are several ways to fix Error 5502:
- Rename the .ND file.
- Move the firm files.
- Update Sync Manager
- Update QuickBooks Desktop.