There is always a time when you need to get an updated version of the existing software. It enables you to utilize the new platform with enriched features and make your work more efficient. But not always, your experience will be that fruitful. You may see an issue when QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
It appears to be a common issue that several QuickBooks users encounter. It also prevents them from accessing their QuickBooks Company file (QBW). Before you wish to give it up, you can check out these few workarounds that might help you resolve the issue once and for all.
QuickBooks Stopped Working After Windows 10 Update: Reason
Before we can go to the solution part, we should also check the possible causes of these errors.
Following are three reasons due to which QuickBooks won’t open after the update of Windows 10 version:
- An issue with Windows upgrades: Upgrade may not have been installed properly.
- Compatibility issues between QuickBooks and Windows 10
- Incompatibility with Internet settings may cause the QuickBooks program to crash more often.
Solution Steps to Fix QuickBooks Not Opening after Windows Update
Now, let’s take a look to these workarounds with the help of which you can try to resolve the ‘QuickBooks not opening after Windows update’ issue:
Workaround 1: Restoring Windows 10 to a Previous Build (Version) Available
It is an alternate option you can take. Restoring the Windows 10 to the previous version will remove any app or program that was installed after downloading upgrades that might have stopped QuickBooks from opening.
In order to restore to a previous Windows 10 version, follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to click the Windows Start icon,
- Then, you need to go to the “Settings.” On the “Settings” tab, you need to hit “Update & Security button.”
- Then next, you need to go to the Windows update and security
- You need to select the “Recovery” tab from the left pane, and look for the “Go back to an earlier build” section.
- After this, you need to click on the “Get Started” button and follow the window prompts.
- Then, you should go back to the previous build of windows 10.
The Downside of this Method
It can be considered as a temporary solution and not a permanent fix. Also, you won’t be able to work with upgraded features rolled out with the latest Windows 10 update.
Workaround 2: Compatibility of Troubleshoot
- In the Windows search bar, type QuickBooks.
- Once you find your program, then you can right-click on it, and then you need to select “Open File Location.“
- Open QuickBooks file location
- After this, you need to select and press the right-click on the QuickBooks file, and then click on the “Properties option.”
- On the Properties dialog box, you should click on the “Compatibility” tab, and from the ‘Run the program.
- Then you need to select Windows OS (8.1 or 8/7).
- Try changing the Windows compatibility mode.
- You should hit the Apply button, and then press the OK to confirm.
- Now try opening QuickBooks.
The Downside of this Method:
Compatibility will ensure that you get to open QuickBooks program. However, it may also prevent you from working on Latest features.
Workaround 3: Block the Internet connection with QuickBooks Access
Caution! This workaround requires blocking the QuickBooks executable file (QBW32.EXE) from getting access to the Internet. Disabling this QuickBooks feature could damage the installation and its data which can be crucial for your business. So, you also need to make sure that you restore a back up of your data before trying this workaround.
You can also choose to add a firewall rule which will stop the QuickBooks executable file (QBW32.EXE) from accessing the Internet. You might be able to launch QuickBooks without any issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- You need to open the Control Panel, and then select Windows Firewall.
- Then you should click on the “Advanced Settings” from the left navigation pane.
- Open firewall advanced settings
- When the “Windows Firewall with Advanced Security” window appears, you should click on the “Outbound Rules.” Then, you should hit the Next button, from the “Actions” pane in the right corner.
- After this, you should click on the “New Rule” option.
- The “Windows Firewall” appears with the “advanced Security” option, then you need to click on the “Outbound Rules.“
- On the “Rule Type” window, you should choose the “Program” radio button, and then you need to click the “Next” tab.
- Create new rule
- On the “Program” window, you need to check the “This Program Path” radio button, and then you can specify the following path in the program path box.
- For 64-bit Windows installations:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE
- For 32-bit Windows installations:
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\QBW32.EXE
- Enter QuickBooks program path
- Press the “Next” button.
- On the “Action” tab, you need to choose the option of “Block the connection“, and then you need to click on the “Next.“
- Block the connection to QuickBooks
- On the “Profile” window, you must ensure that the “Domain,” “Private,” and “Public” options ( including all 3 options) are selected, and then press the “Next” button.
- Specify profiles to apply rules
- On the “Name tab” of the windows, you should assign an appropriate name to the newly created firewall rule and then click “Finish“
- Exit the Windows Firewall window.
The Downside of this Method
This method should work well if you’re accessing a QuickBooks data file on the same PC on which QuickBooks Desktop is running. But if the situation is otherwise, the issue will persist.
Workaround 4: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to Run
Apart from this, you can also choose to go with the QuickBooks built-in tools like the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. This approach might help you resolve the problem. The detailed steps are listed below:
- Launch QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- On the tool hub window, you need to click on the “Installation Issues” tab.
- Click on the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.“
- Note: This particular tool can take up to 20 minutes to diagnose issues preventing QB from opening.
- Lastly, you need to restart your machine once the above mentioned process of the tool gets completed.
The Downside of this Method
This does not guarantee that the QuickBooks will open.
At any point, if you find these procedures too overwhelming, then you can connect with us via live chat.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.