You need to activate your license after successfully installing QuickBooks Desktop before you can use it. QuickBooks will prompt you to activate your license as soon as you install the app on your desktop if it isn’t already. However, there is no need to worry if you don’t know how to activate or register QuickBooks Desktop.
Save Time, Reduce Errors, and Improve Accuracy
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
This article will walk you through the entire process of activating or registering the QuickBooks Desktop, as well as the most important things to remember while doing so.
Things to Remember Before you Follow the Steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop
You need to keep the following points in mind before you follow the Steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop:
- You can always determine whether QuickBooks is activated with the F2 or CTRL+1 keys.
- You are good to go if you see QuickBooks is ACTIVATED. Otherwise, proceed to the activation.
- The verification code is valid.
- If you receive the error “The validation code is incorrect,” double-check the following: Examine the License and Product numbers to ensure they are correct. If the product number does not match the license number, change it before continuing with the activation.
Steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop
When it comes to activating your QuickBooks Desktop application, you have two options, they are as follows:
Method 1: Call Intuit’s Registration Line to Register or Activate QuickBooks
There are two scenarios in which you can use this method. They are as follows:
- When there are problems with the registration process.
- These are the situations in which you are looking for an alternative method to complete the registration process.
Follow the steps that are mentioned below:
- First when the installation is complete, launch QuickBooks Desktop on your computer 🖥️.
- Then navigate to the QuickBooks top menu.
- After that select the Help menu option.
- The following step is to select the About QuickBooks option from the drop-down⬇️ menu.
- Now hold down the Ctrl + R and P keys on your keyboard.
- On your screen, an information window appears, displaying information about your QuickBooks account.
- Then you can get in touch with Intuit’s registration line through this information window.
- Once you have connected with the call, give them all of the required information.
- After you have provided you with information, they give you a validation code, which you should write down to save it.
- Finally, you need to activate or register QuickBooks Desktop, Enter the Validation Code.
You may receive the following errors when attempting to activate your QuickBooks Desktop application:
- Unfortunately, this service is currently unavailable.
- The validation code is incorrect.
Method 2: Manually Activate QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the steps that are mentioned below to manually activate QuickBooks Desktop:
- First, open 📂QuickBooks on your Desktop computer.
- After that, in the top bar of the QuickBooks Desktop Application, click the Help button to open a drop-down⬇️ menu.
- Then select Activate QuickBooks Desktop from the drop-down⬇️ menu.
- In the following step, a window will appear on your screen. Click 🖱️ the Begin Activation button on the window to begin the activation process for your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- The activation process steps may differ depending on how you purchased the QuickBooks Desktop application license at this point.
- A user must select the Proceed/Continue option after completing the process and entering the required information.
- Once you finish all of the steps, you will see a message on your screen indicating that your application has been registered and activated.
- Finally, when you are finished with the activation process, you can open the company file 🗄️ in QuickBooks Desktop.
Now if You Bought the License from Intuit Directly:
If you bought your QuickBooks License Directly from Intuit, you will need to provide either of the following information:
- Your Contact Information
- Your Electronic Mail Address
- Your Postal Code
Note: Entering your zip code is the simplest method because there will be less variation in the number of possible outcomes.
Now if You have Obtained the License from a Third-Party Vendor, You must:
You must do one of the following if you purchased or leased your QuickBooks license from a third-party vendor:
- Create an Intuit Account.
- Log in to a pre-existing accounting account.
Receive Errors While following the Steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop
If you encounter one of the error listed above (Ie, Unfortunately, this service is currently unavailable or The validation code is incorrect) while attempting to activate your QuickBooks Desktop License, use the steps below to resolve the issue and complete the registration process:
Solution 1: Close any Background Processes that are Active on Your System.
When you notice errors after installing QuickBooks Desktop, it’s likely that you registered or activated the program while in the middle of things. To prevent any further errors, make sure to activate or register the desktop software separately.
You need to close all background processes in your Windows system by following these steps: In your Microsoft Windows operating system
- First to open 📂the Task Manager, press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Delete.
- After that, choose the QuickBooks and other applications that are running in the background.
- Now you have to select each process, click the End Task button.
- When you are finished with the background processes, try to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 2: Check Your Computer’s 🖥️ Date and Time.
If you are experiencing any of the errors listed above, go to your Desktop’s settings ⚙️ and ensure that your operating system’s date and time settings are correct and up to date. The steps to check it and properly set the Date and Time are as follows:
- First Start your Windows system.
- Now depending on the Windows version you’re using, follow the steps below.
For the Users Who have Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 installed
● Navigate to the Toolbars folder on your Windows system.
● Then take the cursor to the bottom right corner of the Desktop.
● The following step is to right-click on the Date and Time.
● Now select the option Adjust Date and Time from the options Menu.
● After that Change the Date and Time in the open 📂window to reflect your current data.
● You are now finished by Changing and Verifying the Date and Time to resolve the issue.
For the Users Who have Windows XP or Windows 7
● Click on the bottom right corner of your screen.
● Now right-click on Date and Time to open 📂its options for Verification and Changes.
● Choose the Current Sate and Time based on your time zone.
● You’re done with it once you’ve updated it.
- Finally after you have completed the verification and changes, you must restart the computer 🖥️by selecting the Restart option from the Start menu.
Solution 3: Creating a New Windows Admin User account
It sometimes presents errors due to the existing user account that is already being used to register QuickBooks Desktop. Try creating a new Windows Admin User Account and registering QuickBooks Desktop. The following are the step for creating a new admin user:
- First open the Settings App on Your Windows computer.
- Then select the Start menu option.
- Now, from the menu, pick the Gear symbol to enter the Settings ⚙️ window.
- After that Create a New Windows User with administrative privileges.
- The following step is to Establish a New User, close the Settings window.
- Now you must log in to your Windows machine using the New User Account you just established.
- Finally, Try to Register or Activate the Desktop Version of QuickBooks.
Solution 4: Reset the .ecml File in Windows Desktop.
The.ecml file in the system informs QuickBooks that the product is registered and legitimate, allowing the software to work smoothly. This file 🗄️ may be corrupted or damaged for a variety of reasons. As a result, you must correct it by following the actions outlined below:
- First by hitting the Windows + R keys together, you may bring up the Run window.
- Now this will bring you to the run window.
- After that, under the C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement Clientv8 directory, type C:Program DataIntuitEntitlement 📂 Clientv8.
- Once done press the Enter key.
- If it doesn’t work, try C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.
- Now to Run it again, hit the Enter key.
- Then when a popup appears on your computer and you notice that you are in a folder where you must look for the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file, click 🖱️ OK.
- When you go to the file, Right-Click on it.
- Select the Delete option from the list of alternatives.
- Then, when it asks for your consent to remove the file 🗄️, click the Yes option.
- After that, Restart QuickBooks Desktop and try to activate it again.
Solution 5: Use the QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool to Troubleshoot the Installation
This is a QuickBooks Tool Hub option that can assist you in resolving any software difficulties you may have. If you want to use the QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool follow these steps:
- First on your Windows operating system
- Then run QuickBooks Tool Hub as Administrator by right-clicking on it.
- After that select Installation Issues from the drop-down menu.
- Once done select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Now it begins the process of diagnosing and resolving the issue.
- The following step is to Close the programmes after the problem has been resolved.
- After that, restart your computer and QuickBooks programme.
- Finally, you must re-register or activate QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 6: Use the QuickFixMy Program to Resolve This Error
This is a QuickBooks Tool Hub option that will assist you in resolving any program issues. As a result, the steps are as follows:
- First navigate to the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Now select the Program Issues option.
- Following that select the QuickFixMy program.
- It now begins scanning to identify the problem
- Finally, once the error is identified, it resolves on its own.
Solution 7: Use the Clean Install Tool in QuickBooks
If you are having trouble installing or uninstalling the QuickBooks Desktop software, use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This makes uninstalling and reinstalling the QuickBooks Desktop application a breeze. Follow the steps below to do so:
- First to make sure that a Clean Install is your best option.
- Now create a backup of your data and gather all of the information you can.
- The following step is to clear the data from QuickBooks from your computer 🖥️.
- It’s now possible to download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Now to finish the installation, you must utilize the Clean Install Tool.
- In the following, QuickBooks Desktop has to be reinstalled.
- Click 🖱️ here to Download QuickBooks Desktop.
- It’s time to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
You need to activate your QuickBooks Desktop license before you can use it. This will happen automatically when you install the application on your computer. Now that you have a complete guide on steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop, you can easily resolve the error. However, if you are still stuck or have any issues, you can contact Dancing Numbers experts 💁 for quick and easy assistance.
Accounting Professionals, CPA, Enterprises, Owners
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.
What are the issues that arise while Registering or Activating QuickBooks Desktop?
Here are the issues that arise when a user tries to register or activate QuickBooks Desktop:
If due to some reasons, the information entered is rejected, then you should recheck the information and make sure the information given is similar to the one given during the time of purchase.
If any error screen or blank screen is witnessed or any other technical problem, it is recommended to disable the antivirus temporarily.
What Leads to Validation Errors in QuickBooks?
There are numerous reasons that can cause the validation error in QuickBooks. Here are the main reasons for it:
If the license number, validation code, or product code is wrong
The particular Credits data is read-only
The EntitlementDataStore.ECML file is somehow damaged
Microsoft Windows OS is destroyed
The regularity date is wrongly set to a particular year
The particular privacy settings of Microsoft .Net Framework is too long.
Are there more Methods to Resolve the Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop issue?
Yes, you can resolve the Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop issue, by Activating the MSXML again. To activate the MSXML, follow these steps:
First navigate to the Windows Start menu.
Now, use the search box to find what you’re looking for.
Then to launch Command Prompt, type cmd and press the Enter key.
The following step is to mention the regsvr32MSXML4.dll command.
To run it, hit the Enter key once again.
Then, type regsvr32MSXML6.dll.
After that, press the Enter button one again, and you’re done.
The following step is to close the cmd (Command Prompt) window.
Finally, now launch the QuickBooks program.
Then activate or register QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: If you are using 64-bit, then you just need to mention in the cmd window, write cdwindowssyswow64.
While Following the Steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop, do You Need to Mention the License/Product Numbers?
While following the steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop, you need to mention the license/product numbers:
You can see your purchase confirmation email if you purchased QuickBooks Desktop from the website. Log in to your Customer Account Management Portal to retrieve your license and product numbers if you can’t locate them.
Look for the bright color tag on the original CD packaging if you purchased QuickBooks from a store.
When you Follow the Steps to Register or Activate QuickBooks Desktop, does Your Account Require a Password?
If your account requires a password then you can reset it by following the steps below:
First launch QuickBooks Desktop.
Now choose Company File 🗄️
Then go to the Company page.
After that select Users and Passwords in the Setup Users and Passwords menu.
Your current password should be written down.
Now type out a new password that you’d want to use right now.
The next step is to enter a new password in the confirm password tab once more.
When you are done entering your details, click 🖱️ the OK button.