The ODBC driver is important in your QuickBooks. It helps users to export their data from the QuickBooks company file. With the driver, the QuickBooks also won’t show you any error related to this like missing or damaged, etc. the custom reports can be created easily. The export can be done from QuickBooks to Excel files. The Excel is easily accessible and you can edit, or share it also.
In this article, you get the steps to install and set up the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise ODBC driver. So read it carefully for related information.
What is QuickBooks Enterprise ODBC Driver?
ODBC is the Open Database Connectivity driver. It helps you to connect the QuickBooks company files to the third-party application process. These applications are Microsoft Excel, Crystal Reports, and Microsoft Access. You can easily use this to design your personalized invoices, own reports using data from multiple company files, create mail merges, and many other things. It supports you to write your own queries using SQL (Structures Query Language).
Ways to Install and Set up the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise ODBC Driver
The detailed process is here for how you can download, install, and set up the ODBC driver for your QuickBooks Enterprise account. Follow this process to get it done on your own with simple steps. The steps are as follows:
To Download and Install ODBC Driver
- Firstly, download the ODBC driver for your QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise software.
- Save the file to the location where you remember it.
- After completing the download, go to the location where you saved it.
- Double-click on the .exe file to install it.
- It shows you the instructions one step after another to install it properly.
- When the instructions are completed click on the Finish button.
- Now you are done with download and install of ODBC Driver.
To Set up ODBC Driver
- Open QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
- Then click on the File menu option.
- Further, select the option Utilities.
- Click on Configure ODBC option.
- Go to the General tab.
- You have to click on Use the company file that’s now open in QuickBooks.
- Enter the QuickBooks data in the Data Source name.
- Then choose Test Connection to QuickBooks (for running the test you must be signed in as the admin).
- When it displays the Test Connection to QuickBooks Successful then click on the OK button.
- After that, click on the Apply button to apply these changes.
- Now, go to the Messages tab.
- Remove the tick mark from the checkbox of Detail Tracking (Slow).
- Tick mark the checkbox named Display Optimizer Status Panel.
- For checking the details about the running ODBC, click on the Display Driver Status Panel. It helps you to check the number of running activities. It also provides you the speed assessment using the non-optimized and optimized data.
- Then click on the Apply button to apply all the changes.
- Go to the Optimizer tab.
- In this, click on the Checkbox Use Optimizer.
- The default path of the file is %AppData%\ODBC Driver for QuickBooks\Optimizer.
- In the field, Keep my optimized data up to date as of.
- You have to click on The Start of Every Query. As this is the default setting of the driver. If you don’t concern about the speed but required the data with the latest and every moment update then choose this default setting.
- After that, click on the Apply button to apply the changes in this tab.
- Click on the OK button to close the window.
- Now you are done, restart your computer and start using QuickBooks.
In conclusion, follow the whole process step-by-step to do install and set up the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise ODBC driver encounter with any problem or error.
How to connect ODBC to MS Excel after install and set up the ODBC driver in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise?
This connection is possible because the ODBC user is created in the QuickBooks software. The steps are:
Open MS Excel.
Click on the Data menu.
Further, click the From Other Sources.
Then choose option From Microsoft Query.
Click on the Browse option for locating the data source.
When the file selection is done.
You are prompted to authenticate.
Now, use the credentials of the ODBC user that you have generated to connect with the database.
Can I install and Set up the ODBC Driver in QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Premier also?
Yes, you can do install and set up ODBC driver in any of the QuickBooks versions and editions. In case you are not able to do it then connect with the QuickBooks Help desk to get it done easily.
Are QuickBooks users different from ODBC users?
Yes, both users are different from each other. The login of QuickBooks and ODBC is separate, so if you are an admin even then you have to create a new account in ODBC to connect with QuickBooks for Custom Reporting. The permissions of ODBC users are not the same as the QuickBooks users. The users who have open access to QuickBooks are the only users with whom login information is shared.