QuickBooks error 6144 82 is one of the most complex errors that come up when you are attempting to use the company file. But, do not worry, there are easy steps to deal with this QuickBooks error very effectively.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Not to mention, you can resolve this error seamlessly by renaming the .TLG and .ND files. These are the Transaction Log files and QuickBooks Network Data files that comprise significant data concerning the configuration and transactions on Windows.
Now let us learn in detail what is QuickBooks Error 6144 82.
What is QuickBooks Error 6144 82?
Considered one of the most common QuickBooks issues, the Error 6144 82 error restricts you from finishing your action. Usually, this error is experienced when you attempt to open a particular corporate file. It can lead to software crashes running at present which can significantly hamper business processes. Generally, whenever this error appears, it restricts you from completing any task from any PC or the main system.
Here is the message that appears due to QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82:
QuickBooks has experienced a problem and needs to close. We regret the inconvenience.
Now let’s learn about the causes, symptoms, and ways to fix this complicated QuickBooks error.
What is the Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82?
There are many factors that can give rise to the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 6144 82, among several other things. Here is a run-down of the list of causes that trigger the occurrence of the error code 6144 82:
- Due to a malware or virus impact, Windows system programs or files concerning QuickBooks may be damaged.
- The error can also occur due to the latest change to QuickBooks that adversely impacts the Windows registry.
- This error can specifically arise due to issues with the system’s network or server issue.
- One of the key reasons that can trigger the occurrence of the QuickBooks Error 6144 82 is in case you remove or delete the QuickBooks files by mistake.
- QuickBooks download was damaged or was not installed in the right manner.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82?
Now when the causes of the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 are clear, you must know how to identify the signs. When QuickBooks Error Code 6144 crops up, you may experience the symptoms given below:
- Windows begins to perform very sluggishly and turns unresponsive to all the mouse and key movements.
- The system stops functioning for a short period of time.
- The present system or program gets crashed when the software is running.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82
Before you start with your troubleshooting steps, it is important to note that your QuickBooks Desktop must be updated. When you update the QuickBooks Desktop, make sure the app does not have any loopholes or bugs that may lead to the reappearance of the error while in use.
Troubleshooting 1: Rename Your QuickBooks Desktop Company File
As recommended by Intuit, you should maintain the company file name within 65 characters. Not to mention, it should not have some special characters in the name.
Just ensure that your company file name is not against the guidelines and in case rename you think the company file is violating the rules, do the needed changes as soon as possible.
- Access the Windows Explorer to navigate to the QuickBooks company file folder that is generally present at C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.
- Now press right-click on the company file that has .QBW extension. Now choose the option, Rename.
- Conduct the needed changes and then attempt to open the company file again.
In case you are still witnessing the QuickBooks error code 6144 82, implement the next troubleshooting methods.
Troubleshooting 2: Rename .TLG Files and .ND Files in QuickBooks Installation Folder
As stated above, corruption of the Transaction log file and QuickBooks Network Data is one of the key reasons for the occurrence of the error code 6144 82. When you rename such files, it will compel QuickBooks to make new ones without any corruption which will assist to fix the error.
- Open your particular QuickBooks Software
- Now click the F2 key to acquire the product Information screen.
- Take note of the company file location in the File Information section.
- Navigate to your company folder with the help of Windows File Explorer.
- Find the files .TLG and .ND extensions with the same file name that you have for your company file.
- In case the file extensions are not visible, then it is imperative that you do some changes to the Folder and Windows Files settings.
- For Windows 7 or Windows 8 users- Press Organize option present on the top-left side and choose Folder and Search Options.
- Navigate to the View tab. Now you need to un-check the option, Hide Extensions for known file type.
- Press Apply. Now click OK and save the changes.
- For Windows 10 users- Just press the tab for View available on top and add a check mark near the option File Name Extensions.
- Now all the extensions of every file are visible on your system.
- Rename every file. Just right-click the file and choose the option, Rename. Now include OLD at the very end of every file name.
- Now you need to open QuickBooks and then attempt again to sign in to your company file.
In case the issue persists, then move on to the next solution.
Troubleshooting 3: Fix Windows Registry Entries
A damaged Windows registry because of the latest modifications in QuickBooks can lead to QuickBooks error code 6144 82. Here is how you can fix this problem:
- For the RUN dialog box, click Windows + R keys and enter Command in the search section. But make sure you do not click Enter yet.
- Hold the keys Ctrl + Shift on your keyboard together and then click Enter.
- When a certain permission dialog box comes up, click Yes.
- A black box that has a blinking cursor will come up. Now enter Regedit and then click Enter.
- The screen for Registry Editor will come up. Now you need to choose Error 6144 82.
- Now, Shift to the File menu and then click Export.
- Now select the Folder when you wish to save the QuickBooks backup key.
- Now you can name the folder and then press the option, Selected Branch in the Export Range Box.
- Next, Save the changes by including reg. as a particular extension.
- Finally, you will get the QuickBooks-related registry entry backup.
Note: Implement this method only when you have adequate technical knowledge. In case the registry entries are edited in the wrong manner, it can give rise to huge system damage.
Troubleshooting 4: Start the QuickBooks Monitoring Service Option
The QuickBooks monitoring service can assist you to solve the 6144 82 issue in QuickBooks Desktop with the help of the steps shared below:
- In the Start menu, Navigate to the Services tab.
- From the particular Services list that opens, Locate the “QBCFMonitoringService” icon.
- Press on it and make sure they are running in the Automatic mode.
- In case it is not, Press the Radio icon. Then click Apply and then press OK.
Troubleshooting 5: Handle User Permissions
One of the possible ways to fix QuickBooks Error 6144 82 is setting up user permissions with the help of the steps provided below:
- Open the QuickBooks app. Now navigate to the Company tab to look for Users.
- Now select Set Up Users and Roles. Now type the password to use the data.
- Finally, Select a username and list of users and change the role depending on your specification.
Troubleshooting 6: Shift the Company File to the Actual QuickBooks Folder
When the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is run, it scans the particular company file on the given system and then links it with QuickBooks by saving the company file path. If the company file is shifted to a different folder or file, then QuickBooks fails to connect with it and then the error 6144 82 is triggered.
Here are the steps to move the company file to its actual location and fix the issue for good:
- Open the QuickBooks screen for Product Information by clicking the F2 key.
- Note down the company file location. You will be able to locate it in the File Information section.
- Now navigate to the company file folder location and see if the company file is stored there or not.
- In case the company file is not saved in the actual company file folder, then access the Windows Search field seen on the top-right search .QBW.
- Windows will show every file with .QBW extension.
- Now copy the particular company file that you wish to open and then paste it into the particular company file folder.
- Try to use the company file now and see if the error is fixed or not.
Troubleshooting 7: Conduct Complete Malware and Antivirus Scans
If your computer gets infected with viruses and malware from different sources, It can impact the proper functioning of QuickBooks and can give rise to many errors like QuickBooks error code 6144 82.
Hence, finishing the malware and antivirus scan is crucial to identify and fix this problem. It is a known fact that malicious files are key reasons that disturb the seamless functioning of the software.
In today’s article, we have talked about in detail about QuickBooks error code 6144 82. We have stated the causes, symptoms, and different solutions to fix this technical problem.
Still, if you think you need professional guidance, then get in touch with our Dancing Numbers team of QuickBooks experts.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Points to Remember Prior to Implementing the Solution Methods for the Error Code 6144 82?
Here are the following points to remember prior to implementing the solutions for the error code 6144 82:
- Perform a complete antivirus and malware scan for the computer.
- Make sure to shut down all the systems in the right manner along with the host and others.
- Ensure the system security is turned off.
- Implement the solutions on the particular host server system.
- Clean the junk of the system with the help of disk cleanup.
- Update the device drivers of the system.
How to Restrict QuickBooks Error Code 6144 82 from taking Place?
In order to prevent the occurrence of the QuickBooks error code 6144 82 again, it is suggested to:
- Keep the QuickBooks accounting software along with the network connection updated.
- Back up the company file on a regular basis.
- Review your firewall settings.