Generally, as a new business user, people prefer to use the default invoice template given in QuickBooks, and believe me it is a great option to choose. But later when your business grows, you may want some particular details to be included in the invoice. So then, you choose the path for importing custom invoice templates in QuickBooks Online.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Online. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
You can include details like company name and logo, this leaves long lasting impression on your customers and they will prefer you as a supplier. In the next section we will discuss how we can enable import functionality in QuickBooks, and actually import the custom invoice templates in QuickBooks.
10 Free QuickBooks Invoice Templates Ready to Import to QuickBooks Online
Even though you can utilize the predefined templates in QuickBooks Online to issue invoices, there are some scenarios where you must generate one of your own.
In today’s article, there are 10 free downloadable QuickBooks invoice templates that you modify and import into the software. Every software is modified to a particular industry, like law firms, freelancers, retailers, and wholesalers. Not to mention, in this article, we will also guide you on how to import such invoice templates to QuickBooks.
Here is the list of the 10 free downloadable QuickBooks invoice templates:
|Construction:||Download Invoice Template|
|Freelancers with Hourly Rates:||Download Invoice Template|
|Freelancers with Fixed Rates:||Download Invoice Template|
|Law Firms:||Download Invoice Template|
|Property Managers:||Download Invoice Template|
|Wholesalers:||Download Invoice Template|
|Catering:||Download Invoice Template|
|Landscaping:||Download Invoice Template|
|Non-Profit Organizations:||Download Invoice Template|
|Retailers:||Download Invoice Template|
Now that you know about the 10 free downloadable QuickBooks invoice templates, let us learn about how to import invoice templates into QuickBooks Online.
How to Enable Import Functionality in QuickBooks?
For enabling the import functionality in QuickBooks online, you have to follow the below step-wise simple process:
- You need to initiate the process steps by first clicking on the gear icon on the top right corner of the QuickBooks page.
- After the above, once you have clicked on gear icon, It will open a drop-down box.
- Now you need to go to the left of the drop-down box and under your Company List, you will find QuickBooks lab, you need to click on it.
- Now you need to toggle the “Import Style” option to ON, you will be able to find this option on the screen once you have completed the step 3.
- After that, you need to go to the bottom right corner of the page and click on Done to save your preferences.
You can create your invoice templates on Microsoft word or Microsoft excel and import it in the QuickBooks Online.
How to Import Invoice Templates into QuickBooks Online?
Here are the steps to import invoice templates into QuickBooks Online:
Step 1: Download the Template
From the list of free invoice templates mentioned above, choose and download the template you require depending on your industry or business.
Step 2: Modify the Template
You need to modify the template downloaded by including your company name, logo, and address for a more specialized touch. The invoice templates are entirely customizable, hence, it is possible to personalize other items too.
- Form Fields: When the invoice templates already include important fields, it is possible to include fields if required. But, if you need to add a special field, then you must include it in your QuickBooks Online account as mentioned in the next step.
- Company Details: Display your address, company name, email address, and phone number.
- Footer: Enter your phone number, name, and email address.
Note: Once the invoice is imported to QuickBooks Online, it is not possible to edit or modify it in QuickBooks. Any additional changes will be required to be made to the particular template and then it can be imported as a new template.
Step 3: Include Custom Fields as Required in QuickBooks Online
QuickBooks Online is highly flexible, due to which it is often considered one of the best small business accounting software. However, a few of the particular industry-related invoice templates comprise fields that are not usually in QuickBooks but are very helpful for that domain.
Take, for instance, the law firm invoice template comprising a special field for case numbers that is not present on the list of default fields of QuickBooks.
Apart from QuickBooks Advanced, all QuickBooks Online plans comprise up to three custom fields. If you require more fields, then you may need to upgrade to Advanced which allows around 12 custom fields for every type of form.
Here is a list of some of the custom fields included or you may need to include them in your particular invoice template, based on your industry.
|Property Management||Customer ID|
|Law Firm||Case Number|
|Property Management||Customer ID|
|Retail/Wholesale||Order Number, Shipping Method, and Serial Number.|
In case you are utilizing a template with a particular field, or in case you need to include one, then you must include the steps given below. Or else you should move to step 4.
- Press on the gear icon that is present on the upper right side of your particular QuickBooks Dashboard. Now choose the option, Account, and Settings which is present in the Your Company column.
- Navigate to the Sales tab. Now select Sales Form Content.
- Press on a small icon for pencil or any place where the Sales form content section is grayed. Now click Custom Fields.
- From the window for Custom Fields, press on the option Add Fields. Now include the field where you want to include, press on the box for All Sales Forms. Now click Save.
- It is possible to make a present active field inactive as required, to help you include a new one. In case you are not accessing the QuickBooks Online Advanced plan and have initially included three fields, but want to include a new one, then you must make one inactive to include a new custom field.
In order to do so, press on the small drop-down arrow present near the field. Now press the button, Make Inactive.
Step 4: Import Invoice Template to QuickBooks Online
After the invoice template has been customized, it is possible to import it to QuickBooks Online with the help of the steps given below:
- Press the gear icon that is present on the upper right side of the dashboard of your QuickBooks Online. Now press the Custom Form Styles present in the Your Company column.
- Press on the small drop-down arrow near the button for New Style. Now choose Import Style.
- QuickBooks will request you to select the form type. Select Invoice and then press the green button for Next.
- Once you have clicked Next, QuickBooks Online will request you to upload the particular invoice template.
- Now browse and find your particular invoice template on your system.
- Now press Next.
Step 5: Evaluate Crucial Mappings
After the file is imported, QuickBooks will first map the fields from your particular template to the equivalent fields (called EZ Map fields) in QuickBooks Online. We have already reread the vital mappings, hence all the particular fields in the invoice template must be mapped effectively.
The EZ Map Field is a particular type of field or keyboard in QuickBooks Online that assists in mapping your custom forms. When your particular template is uploaded, QuickBooks will be able to locate the fields bordered in angle brackets and then map them to the special fields in QuickBooks.
To recognize precise mappings, you must find a green check beside to every field in the mapping status. You will also get success. Click Next to continue.
In case the mapping is not successful, and it displays that the particular fields are not mapped in the right manner, then a particular field may have been missed. Ensure that none of the special fields present in your QuickBooks Online account are missed.
If the fields are added successfully, then all the particular fields will be needed to be mapped efficiently.
Step 6: Preview Your Invoice and Save the Template
QuickBooks will show a preview of your invoice template. Press on Save. Now include a name for your particular invoice and then click the green Save button.
After the invoice is saved, you must be able to view it in your invoice list.
Note: You must also think of using the predefined templates of QuickBooks online and modify them to address the requirements of your business. QuickBooks Online enables you to modify invoices depending on your industry.
What to Add to Your QuickBooks Invoice?
Your sales invoice must offer your customers all the significant details of the services and products that they have brought from you. To make sure that payment is not delayed, you need to make sure that your contact details and the contact information of your customer are precise. You must also include the invoice date, and invoice number, along with the following:
- Invoice date and invoice number
- The date payment is due
- How much every product/service costs
- Satisfactory payment methods
- Your company information and contact details
- Payment terms
- What products/services you’re billing them for
- Contact details for questions
How to Import Custom Invoice Templates in QuickBooks Online?
You can follow the below simple steps to import the custom invoice templates in your QuickBooks Online account:
- Start by clicking on Gear icon on the top right corner of the QuickBooks screen.
- Now you need to choose “Custom Form Styles” from the list and it will let the mini drop-down box fall down and you need to select the drop-down styles from the list.
- In this step, you need to choose “Invoice“ as your form type and then click on Next. After that, click on browse and search your .docx file and click on upload and then click on Next.
- In this step, you need to look and Review the Important Mappings. If you want to the mapping yourself then you can enable the manual mapping by checking “I Want to Map My Template Fields”. After this you will be able to map all the fields as per your selection from the drop-down list. After doing this, you need to click on Next again.
- Now once you are done with all the mapping part, QuickBooks will show you the preview of the template, you need to review everything and click on Save.
- In the last step, you need to give a name to your Custom Invoice Template style and then click on save. This will enable your new custom template invoice to be ready for future use.
How to Import the Bulk Invoices to QuickBooks?
Well, if you want to import bulk invoices to QuickBooks, you can follow below steps:
- You need to start the process by clicking on New Import, after that you need to Select the File from your computer.
- After that, you need to select your Invoice Sheet and select the invoices in the QuickBooks Entity. And then you need to Map All the Fields in relation to the QuickBooks attributes.
- Now you need to Click on Preview and check if everything looks alright and after that Click on Upload.
Hoping the processes above are explanatory enough to help you out where ever you get stuck. But we have also a list of frequently asked questions from users for you, which hopefully will guide your regarding any further questions you would have around the topic or related things.
In this article, we have mentioned many options when choosing the right QuickBooks invoice templates for your business. You can select from the default templates of QuickBooks Online.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is An Invoice?
An invoice is a type of document that offers clients a comprehensive description and expenses of the goods or services that have been offered. It is required when a customer pays once the sale is done, and the particular document creates a compulsion for the purchaser to pay. Invoicing is required for monitoring payments along with accounts receivable accounting.
What is Added to An Invoice?
It is crucial to add the detail required while creating an invoice. On every invoice, you be required to include:
- Invoice Title
- Tax Number (If required)
- Business Name and Address
- Business Branding
What are the Process Steps to Scan a Receipt in QuickBooks online?
You can choose from the different options to scan the receipt in QuickBooks Online, the options are listed below:
- You can choose to drag and drop the image of your invoice in your QuickBooks mobile app.
- You can choose to upload the receipt directly into QuickBooks Online.
- Lastly, you can choose to forward the receipt via email.
You can choose any of the above option as per your ease and convenience.
Can You List Down the Transactions that cannot be Reclassified through Reclassification Tool?
Well, you just need to be aware that any transaction that is using account payable and receivable specifics like invoices, bills cannot be reclassified with the help of the reclassification tool. And other transactions that are linked to these ones with account and class are also not reclassified.
What can I do When my Bank Account Balance is not Reconciling with the QuickBooks online Balance?
First, you need to be aware of the scenarios in which the bank balance does not reconcile with the QuickBooks Online balance. This happens generally due to manually created transactions. And for resolving the mismatch issue you need to manually compare the list of transactions from the bank account and the transactions there in QuickBooks. After your find the entry that’s causing the difference, you can manually reconcile both the books.