When software unable to identify installed Excel on the system, this could evoke QuickBooks Excel could not open the data file issue. The error mainly arises when you are trying to export the data to excel or during the upgrade/update of the software.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
If the update/upgrade is not successfully done that does not allow you to export to Excel. This type of issue happens when there’s an update done in Microsoft office while QuickBooks Desktop version is not yet updated. An updated version of QuickBooks requires an updated version of Microsoft office and vice versa. The below write-up is compiled with the complete resolutions to fix QuickBooks Excel not importing and exporting issues.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Excel Could not Open the Data File issue
The issue due to multiple reasons and ends up with the failure issue due to which QuickBooks is unable to export to excel:
- Microsoft Excel may gets damaged
- Improper working of the File Registry
- It is also possible when the QuickBooks software gets damaged or corrupted.
Methods for the Resolution of QuickBooks Excel Could not Open the Data file issue
Try to implement the below methods to easily get rid of the error. Let’s proceed with one after one:
Method 1: Update QuickBooks Software
Whenever you export excel, always make sure that QuickBooks Desktop is up-to-date. If not updated then you can follow the below steps:
- In the beginning, select the Reports menu and try to open list of report
- Next, select the Excel option and confirm that the all the export options available including Excel
- If you are still facing difficulty then try another method.
Method 2: Verify the System Requirements of QuickBooks
It is always important that QuickBooks Desktop is compatible with every particular Microsoft Office version. In any case, the MS office version is not collaborative then it is necessary to upgrade your software. Try the next solution if the error still continues to pop up.
Method 3: Fix Microsoft Office
The above two methods don’t resolve the issue then let’s proceed with the steps to repair your MS Office in different Windows versions if necessary.
Windows Vista 8.1, 8, 7
- Initially, press the Windows key or go to the Windows Start button
- Next, find the Control Panel or simply type Control Panel within the Search bar
- And then go to the Programs in the Control Panel
- Now, hit the Uninstall a Program and then move to the Excel (office product)) which you wish to repair
- Once done with that then click on the “Change” tab
- Move to the Online Repair or Repair option later hit the Repair tab
- And then click Continue
- Apply all the instructions that appear on your screen to end the process.
- To start with pressing Windows Start button from your console
- Choose the MS Office Product which you want to repair and then hit Modify
- After that, move to the Online Repair or Repair option
- And then click on the Repair and then Continue tab
- Proceed the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
After you are done with the process, try to export a report. If the error still continues then go to the next method.
Now, let’s check whether Office Click-to-Run or MSI-based with the helps of below steps:
- First, try to launch any MS Office software like Outlook or Word
- Next, go to the File and then choose an account or Microsoft Office account
- If you see an “Update” option then click the option called “Click-to-Run Installation”
- But if it is not visible then you can understand that your Office has an MSI-based install and accordingly, you have to do the process.
Method 4: Verify the Software Compatibility with the Microsoft Excel
In this method, you are required to upgrade QuickBooks and make sure to have Windows 10 installed on your system.
To upgrade the QuickBooks software, follow the below steps:
- In the very first step, you have to login to the QuickBooks using the appropriate credentials like username and the password should be correct
- If you want to buy the recent QuickBooks version then download it on your system
- After that, complete the setup and uninstalled preinstalled process to prevent from a technical glitches
- In the end, you need to install the upgraded QuickBooks version.
Method 5: Toggle Windows User Accounts Controls (UAC)
Turn Windows UAC Settings on and off. If anything restricts the export feature then you need to reset the export feature.
● Press Windows Start button and type User Account Control Settings in the search tab
● It will open User Account Control (UAC) Settings
● Drag your mouse to select the option “Never Notify”
● Finally, click Ok and try to restart your PC.
After implementing the above steps, try to export a report to Excel once again. If it still gives you an error then move to the next method.
Method 6: Try to Reinstall QuickBooks
Before you reinstall the software, make sure that you have installed Microsoft Office and Excel on your system. If you have not installed then before then install them and perform the process of Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
Here the article completes! And hope that it helps you to fix the issue “QuickBooks Excel could not open the data file” and allow you to export your report once again. It is only a suggestion that you just make sure that you have not left any of the transaction forms including purchase order, invoice, and Sales Order during exporting the file and report to excel.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.
Is the Repairing of the QuickBooks software before updating it with the latest release helps me to fix QuickBooks Excel if it could not open the data file issues?
To fix such issues, it may help you to make sure that QuickBooks components are in good condition before you update the software to its recent release. You need to run the Repair Tool to fix the error. Here’s how:
First, backup the company file and restart your PC
Press Windows Start key and type Control Panel in the search tab to open the same
Next, go to the Programs and Features >> Uninstall the program
From the list of programs, you have to select the QuickBooks >> Uninstall/Change
After that, click Continue followed by Next tab
Once done then select Repair and then Next tab again
To end the process, select Finish tab.
Lastly, update QuickBooks to the latest release (this ensures you have the most recent security update and fixes).
What are the reasons for the Export Issues in QuickBooks for Mac?
In Mac, this issue arises when the system requirements don’t fulfill for QuickBooks to work with. The requirements are:
It required QuickBooks for Mac 2016 R5 or an earlier Mac OS 10.10.2
Intel Core Duo or higher is suggested
2-4GB RAM is needed
Minimum disk space require is 250MB
QuickBooks Payroll services require proper Internet Connection along with the proper functioning of the adobe reader to print the forms.
How do I open the Items list before I open the Report for Export to Excel?
First, open your QuickBooks then go to the List and open the “Item List”. Now, you are required to open any report that you want from “Report Menu”. At last, hit Excel drop-down or email export to Excel, or email as Excel just by clicking on the Email button.