Encountering Printer not activated Error Code -20? Don’t panic! This guide will help QuickBooks users pestered by this error. Not to mention, this sort of error evolves when making an attempt to install or upgrade to Windows latest edition. Notably, the most prevalent cause for this kind of not activated error code 20 is the deleted KEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software key.
So what happened when the error crops up? Well, this error refrains users from publishing or sending the invoices along with the pay slips. This, in turn, obstructs the smooth functioning of the business processes.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Reason Behind the Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 in QuickBooks
Below are a few possible reasons mentioned which are responsible for the QuickBooks Error 20 – Printer not activated issue:
- The QuickBooks program runs on ‘HKey_current_config\softwareregistry‘ key an d when this key gets deleted, it obstructs the smooth printer performance. It has been proven that many programs/applications use the same registry key. This tends to cause QuickBooks accounting software and other software to malfunction.
- This error can also occur when the multiple versions of QuickBooks accounting software are installed on your system. This arrangement does not harm the computer. However, it can be a possible reason.
- In case, the error doesn’t wipes out and you are failing to save/download the requisite invoice, bill, or payslip as PDF, it implies this accounting application does not support PDF driver & operating system.
What are the Primary Reason Behind QuickBooks Activation Error 20?
Windows 10 can be updated twice a month, while QuickBooks 2009 with official support ended in May 2012 cannot receive any updates. This entails compatibility error between the two.
Prevalent causes behind QuickBooks activation error 20:
- Outdated version of QuickBooks 2009 is installed on the computer.
- Issues with the QuickBooks Windows Registry can also bring forth the error at the time of printing from the program
- QuickBooks error 20 can also crop up because of the unsupported printer drivers
- QuickBooks 2009 incompatible with the Windows 10 creates the print issues in the program.
- QuickBooks windows registry file issues
- Unsupported printer drivers and Outdated application key & windows operating system
- Improper configuration of the PDF converter
Methods to Fix Printer Not Activated Error Code 20 in QuickBooks
Post knowing the reasons, its move on to the multiple available solutions steps to rectify QuickBooks Printer Not Activated Error 20. Here, we have enumerated below some of the most effective and recommended methods, which will help you to resolve the issue. Here are few possible ways to resolve the error of printer not activated error code -20 in QuickBooks accounting below:
Method 1: Verify the Default Email Program in Windows Registry
- In the first step, you are required to click the Windows + R keys together, and then write the command as Regedit, and hit the OK option.
- After that, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER-> Software -> Clients -> Mail.
- Post that, check the default email name, click on the default section in case it is not the default program, and after that type in the name of the email program.
- In the final step, click on the OK button and then restart the windows.
Method 2: Repair QuickBooks PDF Component QBprint.qbp File
The first method which can be opted by you is Mend QuickBooks PDF component QBprint.qbp file.
Here are few steps mentioned-below which you are required to adhere to complete the process:
- In the first step, you are required to navigate to the Windows Control Panel and then go to the Programs and Features tab.
- After that, from the list of installed program you need to pick the QuickBooks accounting software.
- Now, you need to click on change and then proceed with the repair process, you need to adhere the given instructions along with that till the end of the module.
- Post the completion of the above step, kindly ensure that system is restarted, when the QuickBooks repair process comes to the completion.
- After that, try to get the print, and verify if the error is still there or not.
Method 3: Use QuickBooks Print & PDF Repair tool
If the above methods don’t work for you then here is another method which you can follow is that you can make use of the QuickBooks print repair tool. Here are the steps given below:
- In the first step, you are required to download the QuickBooks PDF and Print Repair tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub program and run it with the admin access.
- Post that, the application will run with a red background and provide you the resolution for the issue.
- After that, you are required to be sure that the updated version of QuickBooks accounting software is installed in the system and ensure that the printer is connected to the QuickBooks accounting software properly.
- After that, post running the tool you are required to reboot the system.
- And In the final step, ensure that other running applications are closed while running the tool.
Method 4: Prevent UAC to Keep the Eye on the Application on Windows
- Click Windows + R keys altogether and post that search for the Control Panel inside the Run window and click on the OK option.
- Now, hit on the User Accounts which is available in the Control Panel as highlighted in the below screenshot.
- Once the above steps are completed, now hit on modify user access control settings and then navigate to the slider to never notify.
- Now, hit on OK option followed by rebooting the system.
Method 5: Control Access for Software Folder in Windows Registry
After adhering these methods users can get rid of the QuickBooks error code 20. Below are the steps given:
- To commence the process, visit the Start tab <=>then type in Regedit and opt for the right click on the regedit icon. Now, hit on the run as admin option.
- Now in second step, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder and then click on the software folder and click on the permissions.
- Now, you are required to verify the Full control for the users.
- In this step, click OK and then turn off the registry editor.
- Accomplish the process by launching QuickBooks accounting application and then try to print a PDF to testify if the error isn’t fixed.
Method 6: MS Document Writer Windows Component Fixation
Apparently, the MS document writer is a by default pre-install component of Windows operating system, which aids in printing the document.
- In the first step, you need to right-click on the QuickBooks icon and then select the open file location tab and move to the temp folder.
- After that, locate and double-click the exe file, & finish the installation and now navigate to the QuickBooks accounting software to do the registration of the license.
- Now, strive to reinstall them one more time if encountering error in installing ABS PDF driver and/or stops responding.
- In the last step, once the installation process is completed, you are required to get the print again and then confirm the QuickBooks error code.
Method 7: QuickBooks Desktop re-installation
- In the first step, you are required to enter the Control Panel and then hit on the option of Programs and features as shown in the below screenshot and now locate the software.
- Now, You are required to uninstall option. Post that downloads QuickBooks version that is compatible with your system.
- After that, ensure that the printer and the program are working accurately.
If you are facing the issue with the uninstallation, so you can make use of the system security application, same as Reimage or RegCure Pro, to protect the computer from the corrupted files.
Method 8: Allowing the usage of PowerShell Script
This is also another method to resolve the error. However, this method is applicable only for the systems which Windows 10 installed on it. You can update the registry key editor manually by offering authority to make use of the PowerShell script. Below are the steps given:
- In the first step, click on the Start tab and type in cmd.
- After that, by hitting the cmd option, select the Run as an administrator.
- After that, type in powershell in the command prompt and then click on the Enter key.
- Now, to end the process, kindly ensure to copy and paste the below given code in the command.
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
- After that you will see that the registry is updated and error is resolved.
Method 9: Printer Spooler Service Activation
If the above mention methods are not able to resolve the error then final method left is to activate the print spooler service. Here are the steps given below which are involved in this process:
- In the first step, press the Windows+keys together and after that type the services.msc and click the OK option as shown in the below screenshot.
- Now, select the print spooler option and after that, select the Stop option with right click on Print Spooler.
- Now, you are required to click on the Start option refer to the below screenshot and check if the error is resolved or not.
In this article we have tried to cover the maximum information to get rid of the error code 20 in QuickBooks accounting software. However, if you are required to get any further technical assistance, or if the same error still bothers you, then you can connect with the Dancing Numbers team via LIVE CHAT support.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
What is the Reason Behind the Printer not Activated Error code -20 while taking the Printout of the PDF?
The error can exist if the QuickBooks PDF converters are not configured properly.
What are the Ways to get rid of the QuickBooks Error code 20 While taking the Print out of the PDF?
In this module, we have mentioned several methods which can assist you to get rid of the error code 20. However, you can try to uninstall the QuickBooks application by using the Clean installation tool.