QuickBooks is the greatest software which handles business accounting responsibilities easily and it was created and developed by Intuit. However, Since software errors are common, QuickBooks users occasionally run into troubles when they are unable to the backup of the file. An error message flashes on your screen i.e “Unable to Commit File Write Operation to Disk”.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Users of QuickBooks frequently experience issues like this. Following are the causes due to which user is unable to take the backup of the QuickBooks file:
- The authentication phase of backup procedures is unsuccessful.
- The command of backup fails.
- Regular backups are possible, But portable file creation is not possible.
Data is known as the most important component of a business, and QuickBooks keeps all of this vital information on the local storage of your computer. There is a possibility of Data loss due to hardware malfunction or malicious infiltration. In order to avoid such type of issues, It is crucial to periodically take the backup of your data. QuickBooks offers a simple method for quickly backing up the company file and you can also set up scheduled for the backups to back up your company file data at regular intervals. However, Issues might develop when it is difficult to take data backups from QuickBooks due to various reasons.
In case if you are also facing the same issue then there is no need to panic just follows the instructions which are define in this article to troubleshoot the error.
Common Errors Flashes on the Screen
Following are the common errors flashes on the screen while you are trying to take the backup:
- Errors in the -6000 Series.
- Error code -6189 and -82 in QuickBooks.
- Unrecoverable Error Messages.
- QuickBooks Installation is Harmed, According to C Warnings like C=272 or C=343 3371 Problem.
- Error Codes -6190 and -816 in QuickBooks.
Causes Due to Which You are Unable to Backup Company File
Following are the various reasons which causes the error message and due to which you are unable to take backup your data file:
- The main reason for the issue is the absence of the storage device which is used to store the backup file. For instance, QuickBooks backups are no longer created on the external storage device that was once attached to the PC.
- The second common reason is Damage Company file data due to which user fails to take the back up of the data in QuickBooks.
- In case if the path of the backup is configured incorrectly, in such situation the QuickBooks may freeze or show the user a backup failed error.
- When there is insufficient memory space in order to hold the backup file is the circumstance in which QuickBooks is unable to backup a company file.
- The backup cannot be finished in one time by QuickBooks.
- The QuickBooks Database Server Manager has a issue on its internal network.
- When the name of the file exceeds 65 characters including the extension then error occurs.
- Utilizing an older version of QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks files are used by another program when you are trying to perform a backup.
Important Points to be Remember While Creating Backup File
Following are the points which are to be keeping in mind while you are trying to create backup for a company file:
- No special characters like [!@#$%&/*-] will be used in the name of the corporate file.
- In case the file is stored on a server, flash drive, or other distant place then try to make a backup file on local storage.
- Avoid saving firm files on external devices like servers, flash drives, etc.
- In case if the file is from a very old QuickBooks version then first you have to make it compatible with your version of QuickBooks if you want to create a backup.
Troubleshooting for Resolving the Unable to Commit File Write Operation to Disk
Now that you are aware of the reasons and symptoms of QuickBooks inability related to back up company files, now let’s learn about the methods of troubleshooting in order to remove the company file backup error.
Method 1: Verifying and Rebuilding of the QuickBooks Company File
- First you have to open QuickBooks and navigate to the File menu, Select utilities, and then hit the button Verify Data.
- Once you are done with the above steps the Go back to the Utilities and from the drop-down menu of utilities, select Rebuild Data if the Verify Data tool discovered problems with the company file.
- Now wait till the time tool fixes the damaged company file and then try to take the backup of the company file, now wait for some time and see whether it fixes the “QuickBooks not backing up” error or not.
Method 2: Verifying of the Backup Directory in QuickBooks
- First you have to open QuickBooks Desktop and then select Preferences from the menu.
- Navigate to the Backup Options tab and select on it.
- In QuickBooks, Now search for the Local Backup column for the backup directory which you’ve chosen.
- Verify that the QuickBooks have a valid working path which is to be used for the file backup.
- In case if you discovered that the path of the backup was insufficient or unavailable then click on the Browse button and choose the appropriate location for the folder if you want to save the backup of your company file.
- When you are trying to create a backup by using the Create Backup box then you can also modify the route of the backup if you want to do so.
Method 3: Renaming the QuickBooks Network Data (.ND) File
- First you have to exit from the QuickBooks Desktop application and then launch Windows File Manager.
- Now you have to locate the network data file by going to C:\ Users\ Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\ QuickBooks .
- The .ND extension will be added automatically to the files, which have the same name as your corporate file.
- Now you have to rename the file by right-clicking on it and choose the rename option from the drop down menu of the file.
- After adding .OLDFILE to the end of the file name, now you have to save the document.
- Make another attempt in order to take the backup of the corporate file.
- The next troubleshooting step should be used if the problem “QuickBooks was unable to back up your company file” continues to occur.
Method 4: Verifying the Available Storage on the Backup Device
If you see the error message on your screen that “To backup your company file, there must be 645106849 bytes of space available on 192.168.0.243, however there are currently only 31055872 bytes available,” this means that there is not enough space in the backup device where you are trying to take backup of your company file.
In case if you receive the message “Please free up some space on this drive and try again,” it means that the backup storage is low and you should think about eliminating superfluous files to make room for QuickBooks to build a backup.
Method 5: QuickBooks Updates are to be Reset
- Navigate to the help tab and Click on it once you logged in your QuickBooks.
- Selecting Update QuickBooks Desktop by clicking on the Update Now tab.
- Before you select the get Updates button first you have to select the Reset Updates checkbox.
- In order to proceed you have to on click OK button, when QuickBooks requests your consent to install updates once more.
- Shut down the Update QuickBooks window and start the QuickBooks Desktop again by using login ID and Password.
- Now the firm file should be backup one more.
This blog was an attempt to solve circumstances when QuickBooks was unable to backup company files. We hope that by reading the above mentioned information, You were able to learn some important lessons that you can apply which will help you successfully create the backup. But if QB keeps having this problem and can’t finish the backup, It’s recommended to get in touch with Dancing Numbers team via LIVE CHAT.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
What do You Understand with QBB File?
QBB file is an extension which stands for QuickBooks backup files. It is classified by Intuit according to the information they contain: “All of the information currently stored in your company file is saved in a backup device. Your accounting information, templates, letters, logos, pictures, QuickBooks Statement Writer, Cash Flow Projector, Business Planner, and Loan Manager and all related files are included in this. It does not, however, support your payroll forms. It is helpful at the time of an audit or as a failsafe in the event of data loss or corruption on your primary company file, at that time having QuickBooks backup files on hand might be helpful.
What might have Caused the QuickBooks Backup to Fail?
A backup cannot be created because the location is unreachable for a number of reasons, it also includes File issues. There are special letters or spaces in the name of the corporate file.
How can I Fix Rebuild Error in QuickBooks Desktop?
• Navigate to the File menu and then pick Rebuild Data under Utilities.
• Select OK button on the QuickBooks Information window.
• Now wait till the time program fixes your file.
• Select OK button when the tool is done with its process.
• Now again navigate to the File menu and click on it.
• Now wait for sometime till the tool examines your file for data integrity problems.