In QuickBooks, the journal entry is utilized for entering the sales, entries, including different transactions. The users are provided with an option to amend or modify the entries according to their business need. There can also be situations when you cut off the journal entry, and you might require to view them in the Audit Log. The article elucidates the process to view journal entries in QuickBooks Online along with the Desktop version.
Save Time, Reduce Errors, and Improve Accuracy
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Few things for which you should be aware of for the Journal Entries in QuickBooks accounting software:
To put it simply, the journal entry holds a record of the entries wherein the total amount mentioned in the debit column should match the total amount in the credit column. No matter whether the amount is positive or negative, it is linked to the account on the chart of accounts. QuickBooks prepares the journal entry reports automatically when a transaction is made or entered in the non-bank balance sheet account register.
Let’s Learn the Simplest Way to check/view the Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop:
To view the journal entries in the QuickBooks desktop, we will use the creation symbol. You can hit that option it to find the Journal Entry. After that, an arrow will appear here. This arrow will be counter-clockwise. It can be used to begin to the view more option. After that, the general journal entries will begin loading.
Here are a few steps elucidated which needs to be followed in order to view the Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop:
- In the first step, you are required to hit the -open QuickBooks and now, you will find the creation (+) option at the top navigation, you need to opt for it.
- Now, select the Journal Entry and choose the arrow icon. The arrow shall be counter-clockwise.
- View More is preferred in this step and normal journal entries will be loaded. You can make use of filters in order to customize the outcomes. Also, after taking a glance into the journal entries, certain users fail to fetch the relevant information. Therefore, they opt for deleting option.
What is the Way to View Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online?
Well, to take a glance or access journal entries in QuickBooks Online, you need to go to Advanced Search function. This option will enable users to either access all the journal entries in one go or sort for a specific one. For gaining access to the old journal entry, you are suggested to take guidance of the Plus + option. In a scenario, wherein you want to find an old journal entry, try using report menu.
Method 1: Search for the Journal Entries list in QuickBooks Online
You are required to get the reports option to see the list of journal entries in QuickBooks Online. This option will show the Journal. Navigate to the report period and choose. Now, you need to select the option of This Month-to-Date. You can select the option to begin with the date criteria. This range will show the transactions which are particular related to the period.
- In the first step, you are required to navigate to the reports option in QuickBooks Online and open this option.
- Now, hit on Journal and search the Report Period and choose the option of This Month-to-date.
- After that, select the Custom option from the dropdown.
- Now, you are required to enter the date range to filter the reports according to the requirement.
- After that, just wait for the report to get updated and a list of QuickBooks Online journal entries will be visible. View it to see all the entries which are available in the list.
Method 2: View Journal Entries with Advance Search option in QuickBooks Online
Advanced Search is a function of QuickBooks Online. Motive of this function is to assist the user find the journal entries in the shortest time possible. To follow this method, first you need to navigate to the software. You need to read the visible contents and enter Advanced Search. A dropdown should be available. Hold it and then tap on Journal Entries. Now you will be able to get some filters and these filters are helpful for you to view for search for a particular journal entry. Advanced search is helpful for the users not only to see the journal entries in QuickBooks but also search for any particular entries.
- In the first step, begin running QuickBooks Online and search for the option of Advanced Search.
- After that, search for the Journal Entries.
- To view the specific journal entry you can use the available filters. You can also skip to make the use of this filter and straightly navigate to the all entries available here.
Method 3: Search for the old Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online
Old journal entries may be required by particular users. In QuickBooks Online accounting software, there is an easy method to locate these entries and look for their information. This method needs the user to first sign in to the QuickBooks Online account.
Here are the steps given below:
- Navigate to the software and sign in.
- Click on the plus sign and hit the other option.
- Here in this step, choose the “Journal Entry” option and look for the Clock icon.
- After that, choose the view more option.
- And now, you are required to select the Recent Journal Entries.
When the final step is implemented, now you are able to view the old journal entries in QuickBooks Online. You can save the information for the future reference.
Method 4: Take a look for the old Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online
Journal entries can be recorded for an old period as well as the current one. Likewise, you can also locate the transactions for a period other than the present one. Particularly to view the journal entries for a previous reporting time frame, you can make use of the Reports function and enter a period in it. The type of entry can be filtered for the Journal Entry. This modification will show the results only for the selected old reporting period. Here are few steps given below to locate journal entries for the old period:
- In the first step, hit on Reports option and find the journal along with the selection of the reporting period.
- Now, begin running the report for the required time frame.
- Click on the customize and select the transaction type and choose the Journal Entry as the type.
What are the Steps to Get into the Transaction Journal
Depending on the transaction type the transaction Journal can be accessed in multiple ways. Here are few steps given below:
- In the first step, navigate to the transaction toolbar and choose the Reports and after that choose the Transaction Journal.
- After that, choose the QuickBooks Reports menu, and then choose the Transaction Journal.
- Here you are required to make the selection according to the device, Press the CTRL+Y for Windows and press CMD+T for Mac.
Few things Which you need to know While using and Reading the Transaction Journal.
- Source & Targets: The highest line of the Transaction Journal is the source line; each entry below is the target.
- Current Form: Only the current transaction form regardless of filter or dates will only reflects the information.
- Accrual only: The report shows as accrual to reflect the total value of every post to the accounts.
- Non-posting: Non-posting transactions like PO, sales orders etc. will show the debits and credits connected to every account as if it was a posting transaction.
- Sort order: The Transaction Journal report can’t be sorted; it will be visible automatically in the order of entry to the transaction.
- Customizable: The Transaction Journal can be amended according to the requirement of the business.
The steps mentioned in this module explains how to create or view journal entries in the QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online Accounting Software. If you do not understand any of the step or need expert assistance, please do not hesitate to connect with Dancing Numbers team via LIVE CHAT.
Accounting Professionals, CPA, Enterprises, Owners
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.
What is the Way to See the old Journal Entries in QuickBooks Accounting Software?
You can see the old journal entries in QuickBooks accounting software by adding the filter in the dates as required. To begin, look for the creation symbol. Now, navigate to the Journal Entry. Post that, you are required to see an arrow showing the anticlockwise direction. This arrow will show you to access the “View More” option. This will allow you to filter the dates according to the requirement, and then you will be able to view the past transactions.
What is the Reason Behind that you should modify the Employee Status instead of Deleting them on QuickBooks?
If you are not able to get the option to get rid of an employee name in the list of the employees on the company payroll, this is possible that they have some history. Therefore, if you modify the employee status instead of deleting the profile and pay records will be available in the accounting database without any data loss in the tax payments.
What are the Types of Accounts you could Access in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks permits the user to access almost all types of accounts which includes saving account, checking account, credit card accounts, and money market accounts.