QuickBooks offer a range of features and tools for businesses (both small and medium-sized), and the multi-user mode is one such characteristic that allows several users to work on your particular files at the same time. In case you install QuickBooks on any terminal server, then several users can access the file simultaneously, enabling you to handle your particular accounts centrally.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
In today’s article, we will talk about the detailed process to install QuickBooks on a particular terminal server. Not to mention, this article will also talk about the other crucial factors related to it.
What are the Advantages of Installing QuickBooks on a Terminal Server?
Here is the list of the benefits of installing QuickBooks on a terminal server:
- Numerous clients can link to a LAN Network via a terminal server network.
- It also cuts down the licensing expenses. Furthermore, it is also possible to update the programs centrally but no need to update them individually on all the particular workstations.
- Several users can remotely use the company file after it is linked to the server.
- It is possible for enterprises to host applications centrally and linked them to certain remote devices through a terminal server.
- There is no need for a network interface or modem for connection. Not to mention, it offers certain benefits like handling the total infrastructure centrally.
- Via terminal server, QuickBooks Desktop can be installed on a central server rather than individual computers.
- One of the key benefits is that it saves hard disk space on different computer systems.
What are the System Prerequisites to Install QuickBooks on a Terminal Server?
There are only a few system-specific specification necessities to install QuickBooks on a particular terminal server. All those prerequisites have been stated below:
Requirements for the Operating System
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016.
- The version Mac OS 10.12 and all the versions above it are assisted on MAC-based systems.
- Windows 7, 8, or 10.1 are all versions of 64-bit naturally.
- The crucial and standard versions of Windows Server 2011.
QuickBooks works without a glitch on such operating systems. Such operating systems must be installed natively. In simple words, it can be installed on a specific system natively, for which it was designed, and must not run in a virtual environment. Not to mention, Microsoft does not offer support and security updates for the last versions of such operating systems as Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. As a result, it becomes riskier for users to access QuickBooks on such outdated operating systems.
- Intel Processor, Core 2 Duo, or something higher for the MAC systems.
- The minimum processor speed must be 2.4 GHz.
- For a single user, the minimum RAM needed is 4 GB, however, for installing QuickBooks on a terminal server, a minimum 8GB RAM is recommended. RAM specifications needed for a multi-user system are:
- 8 GB RAM for 1-5 users.
- 12 GB RAM for 10 users.
- 16 GB RAM for 15 users.
- More than 20 GB RAM for up to 20 users.
- 2.5 GB minimum empty space must be present. However, it is recommended to have a minimum 5GB of empty space to house the data files.
- 4GB additional RAM will be needed for the purpose of Intuit Data Protect and double the space of the biggest file size must be unoccupied for backup. In order to restore the particular file, a minimum of 100 MB space must be present.
- The screen resolution must be at least 1280 x 1024 or more than that. It must be enhanced for the purpose of default DPI settings.
- For MAC Users, 4GB RAM is suggested.
- 4X DVD-ROM must be present to Install the Particular Applications via CD.
- 250 MB of Empty Space is needed for MAC Users.
How should you Install QuickBooks Desktop on a Particular Terminal Server?
Here are the steps to install QuickBooks Desktop on a particular Terminal Server:
- You must log into the system as an admin in order to install the particular application.
- You need to turn on the security settings of Internet Explorer to Medium.
Turn the Internet Explorer Settings to Medium
- Navigate to the Start Menu. Now press on the option for Control Panel.
- Go to the Administrative Tools section. Now go to the option for Server Manager.
- Navigate to the Security Information and then press on the option that says Configure IE ESC.
- In case the status is turned ON, make sure you turn it OFF.
- Now click the OK button.
- Now turn off the Windows Firewall.
Activate the Terminal Server Role
You need to activate the Terminal Server Role with the help of the steps provided below:
- In the section for Server Manager, Navigate to the Roles menu.
- Press on the option for Add Roles. Now press the Next key.
- Now check the box for Terminal Services and then do as per the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
How to Install the QuickBooks Application?
Now that you have checked the QuickBooks Desktop System requirements to ensure the server is compatible, and also you have signed in as a Windows User with Admin rights, here are the steps for installation:
- Close all the applications that are open and running.
- On your particular keyboard, click the keys Windows + R in order to open the particular Run Command.
- Enter CMD and then choose OK in order to open the Command Prompt.
- To edit the User Mode to install, enter Change User/Install and then click Enter.
- Now Download QuickBooks Desktop. Next, you need to install it.
- Now open the Command Prompt again.
- Enter Change User/ Execute to edit to Execute Mode and then click Enter.
How to Activate QuickBooks 2018 Terminal Server?
Once the installation of the application on the terminal server is complete, you must activate it. Here are the detailed steps to activate the QuickBooks 2018 Terminal Server.
- You must stay logged in to the particular Windows Administrator account.
- Now open your QuickBooks Application.
- You will receive a prompt asking you to activate your QuickBooks account.
- In case the prompt has not been received, then navigate to the Help menu.
- Press on the option for Activate QuickBooks Desktop and activate QuickBooks Desktop.
- You will be required to authenticate your credentials to finish the process.
Note: When you repair your QuickBooks application or reinstall it, you must activate it once more via the process mentioned above.
What are the Support Limitations for Windows Terminal Server?
There are a few support limitations for the Windows Terminal Server, Which have been stated below:
- Support is not offered for Setting up, Enabling, or Configuring Terminal Services.
- Terminal Service connection problems are not sustained as well.
- For terminal service users, only QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions offer live phone support.
- Users are not offered any assistance for issues concerning user performance or slow performance problems.
How can You Set Administrator Rights for Terminal Server QuickBooks?
In the general sense, administrator rights are needed to install the terminal server QuickBooks. It can be allocated very easily via the steps given below:
For Windows 8.1 Users
- Open the particular Control Panel via the Start menu of your system.
- Choose the option, User Accounts and Family Safety. Now press on the option, User Accounts Windows User Accounts and Family Safety.
- Press on the option, Manage Another Account. Now enter your login credentials.
- Choose the option, Create a New Account.
- Add a name, and press on the option Account Type. Now press the button Create Account.
For Windows 10 Users
- Navigate to Settings. Now go to the option for Accounts.
- Press on the option for Family and Other users.
- Press on the option for Change Account Type. Now choose the Account Owner.
- Navigate to the option, Account Type. Now choose Administrator from the option. Now click the OK button.
- Now login with your new Administrator account.
In this article, we have talked about the entire process to install QuickBooks on a Terminal Server in detail. In case you get stuck or struggle to perform the steps in the given order, you can connect with Dancing Numbers team via LIVE CHAT.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.