You can learn how to put payments into the Undeposited Funds account in QuickBooks Desktop. Customer payments are kept in QuickBooks’ Undeposited Funds account until you deposit them at a real-life bank. When you receive your deposit slip, you can merge these payments into one record so that QuickBooks and your bank records are in sync.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Below are the steps of how to put payments into your Undeposited Funds account before you merge them.
Step 1: Put Payments into the Undeposited Funds Account
Payments Processed with QuickBooks Payments
QuickBooks takes care of everything if you process invoice payments with QuickBooks Payments for Desktop. Payments don’t have to be moved to an account or combined.
Invoice Payments you Process Outside of QuickBooks
The funds are automatically placed into Undeposited Funds by QuickBooks after you follow the procedures to receive payment for an invoice. Then move onto Step 2 and then deposit the payments.
Sales Receipt for Payments You Process Outside of QuickBooks
Payments from sales receipts are automatically deposited by QuickBooks into the Undeposited Funds account. Create a sales receipt, and QuickBooks will take care of the rest.
If you want to select which account to deposit money into:
- By going to the Edit menu you have to select Preferences
- From the list, you have to select Payments and then you have to go to the Company Preferences tab.
- Then you have to select and uncheck the Use Undeposited Funds as a default deposit to account checkbox.
- Lastly, you have to select OK.
Each time you create a sales receipt, you can now choose an Undeposited Funds account or another account.
- You have to select Create Sales Receipt from the Homepage.
- From the customer drop-down menu, you have to select the customer.
- Then you have to select Undeposited Funds from the Deposit in the drop-down menu.
- After that, you have to fill out the rest of the form.
- Lastly, you have to select Save and Close.
You don’t have to combine payments in QuickBooks if your bank records a single payment as its own deposit. Instead, you can exclude Undeposited Funds and deposit the money directly into an account.
Step 2: Make a Bank Deposit
You can record a bank deposit and combine the payments in QuickBooks with your deposit slip in hand. All the payments that are in the Undeposited Funds account will automatically appear in the Bank deposit window. To combine the payments you have to use your deposit slip to decide.
Next Step: Review Your Undeposited Funds Account
It’s good to regularly check your Undeposited Funds account and clear out any payments that are waiting to be moved.
- You have to select Chart of Accounts from the Lists menu.
- On the Undeposited Funds, you have to right-click and then select QuickReport: Undeposited Funds.
- Then you have to select All from the Dates drop-down menu and then select Customize Report.
- Now you have to select the Filters tab. After that, you have to scroll down the Filter list and then select Cleared.
- Select No in the cleared section. After doing all you have to select OK.
The report will list any transaction that is still in the Undeposited Funds account. Follow step 2 “Make a Bank Deposit” to add these payments to a deposit.
This article covers all the important information related to the use of undeposited funds accounts in QuickBooks Desktop. Step by step all the information related to this topic has been mentioned above. In case you face any issues related to this then you can simply connect with Dancing Numbers expert via LIVE CHAT as they are available round the clock.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
How to use Undeposited Funds on QuickBooks Desktop?
● You have to select Preferences from the Edit menu.
● Now you have to select Payments and then choose the Company Preferences tab.
● Use Undeposited Funds as a Default Deposit to Account by clearing the checkbox.
● Lastly, you have to select OK.
Why would Undeposited Money be used in QuickBooks?
To keep combined invoice payments and sales receipts, use the Undeposited Funds account. It resembles the drawer or lockbox you use to keep payments before bringing them to the bank. Make a bank deposit in QuickBooks once you receive your deposit slip to combine payments in Undeposited Funds to match.
How does the Undeposited Funds Account work?
Simply put, Undeposited Funds is a holding account that keeps track of customer payments that haven’t been placed into your bank account. This is your “desk,” to put it literally. Before they have been deposited it is where checks live once they have been applied as payments.