Are you aware that if there are any pay history then you cannot delete an employee in QuickBooks?
Yes, it is right.
Let’s see what can be done when you are not able to delete an employee because of having pay history of paychecks in that employees account.
You can easily delete the employee in QuickBooks with a simple process. But before that you have to check that there are no paychecks of employee whom you want to delete. There are 2 ways to delete employee in QuickBooks that are:-
- Delete an Employee
- Inactive an Employee
If the employee have paychecks then you can inactive the employee but is there is no paychecks then you can delete an employee into your QuickBooks account.
To Delete an Employee in QuickBooks
- In QuickBooks, go to the Workers option
- Then you have to select the Employees option
- Click on the name of the employee
- Choose Edit Employee option
- Select the option Delete Employee
- Choose Yes to confirm the action.
To Inactive an Employee in QuickBooks
- In QuickBooks software click on Workers
- Further Select the Employees option
- Click on the Employee name to make inactive
- Choose the Edit button
- Now, click on drop-down arrow from Status field
- Select the Terminated option
- After that, click on the Done button.
The processes are easy and take less time to do it. You have to check that what process is required with the employee whom you want to delete.
How to Delete an Employee in QuickBooks Payroll?
If you are using Payroll and you want to delete the employee’s profile then here is the whole process. Check for the software to delete an employee in QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Online. Then initiate the step-by-step process.
Deletion cause when you have added an employee mistakenly or they are no more working in your organization. If the employee has no more history of paychecks or to pay then you can delete their profile.
What are the Steps to Delete an Employee Profile from QuickBooks Payroll?
The deletion of employee into your QuickBooks payroll done easily by using the steps that are mentioned below. You have to choose the set of steps according to the QuickBooks Online and desktop version. The processes are as follows:-
Delete an Employee in QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Firstly, log into QuickBooks Online
- Go to the menu option Payroll
- Click on the Employee tab
- Choose the Employee’s name
- If you won’t search your employee on the list
- Then select All Employees from the drop-down of Active Employees
- Click on the Edit Employee
- After that choose the option Delete Employee
- If any confirmation occurs then click on Yes to confirm it
- Now, you are done with deleting the employees.
Delete an Employee in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, then click on the Employees menu
- From drop-down menu, select the option Employee Center
- In the list of Employees select the Employee
- Then Right-click on the Selected employee
- I you didn’t get employee on the list then Select All Employees from the Active Employees drop-down options
- You have to click on the Delete Employee option
- Then do the confirmation by click on the Yes or OK button.
Delete an Employee in Intuit Online Payroll
- Go to the Employees tab
- Choose the name of employee
- If the employee is not active
- Then you have to click on Select all employees from drop-down option
- Click on the Delete this employee
- Then click the Delete button to confirm the deletion.
When your Employee has pay history or paychecks then don’t delete it otherwise you lost some important tax information. Just make their status to inactive.
You get to know what and how to delete an employee in QuickBooks software. You have to check for paychecks in you are doing it normally. But if you are doing it with payroll then the process is different. In conclusion, you can either delete an employee or make them inactive when they have any history.
Does these Steps work on all Versions and Editions of QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop to Delete an Employee in QuickBooks?
Yes, these solutions works on all the editions (Pro, Premier, Enterprise) and versions (2021, 2020, 2019, and below). You just have to check the conditions and then apply the solution that helps you in delete or inactive the employee into your QuickBooks account.
Why to Change the Employee Status instead of Delete an Employee in QuickBooks?
If the terminated employees option is not displayed on the list of active payroll that means they have some history. By changing the status remains the profile and pay records into the accounts and there is no data loss into your tax payments.
Why to Create Final Paycheck to the Employee Before processing the Steps to Delete an Employee in QuickBooks?
You have to create the final paycheck as you have to give the final payment to your employee and then delete them or change their status into your QuickBooks account. To cover their wages that are left you have to give them final paycheck to make it full and final.