While organizations are becoming bigger, the transactions and accounting processes are turning huge simultaneously. In such a scenario, simple manual computation or a mediocre software application doesn’t really help. You need to have way more advanced software to tackle accounting and transaction-related functions. This is what brings QuickBooks into the scene as one of the best software solutions for small, medium, and big businesses. Know Here you can learn how to change an Invoice number in QuickBooks Online. An invoice number is a unique number that the software allots to the number of invoices that you store in it.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Online. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
With QuickBooks, the data in the database remains organized in a proper sequence, The software is so designed that it automatically assigns uniquely identifiable numbers to whatever you save. As a result, searching for particular information or data becomes easier and faster.
What is an Invoice Number?
As stated earlier, QuickBooks assigns unique numbers to every data saved in it. An invoice number is a unique number that the software allots to the number of invoices that you store in it. It is set automatically and accordingly, the new invoices that follow are sequentially arranged and numbered. Assigning the numbers makes it convenient for you to identify the required invoices when required. In short, the data retrieval process becomes more convenient.
Why Change an Invoice Number is Required?
Though the invoice number is automatically set by the software itself, there are instances when you might need to name or number the invoices in a different way. Thus, you do get an option to adjust the numbers at your convenience.
Most of the time, the change in the invoice number is done when you want to keep invoice numbers different for different clients. This is, of course, a better way of organizing the invoices as you can retrieve them even more smoothly when required.
There might be a case where you find two data or invoices retrieved while looking for one. This happens because of the duplication of the invoice number, which could happen due to any whatsoever reason. This is when you will require adjusting or changing the invoice number.
How to Change an Invoice Number in QuickBooks Online?
The invoice numbering is controlled and taken care of under the Custom transaction numbers feature. Thus, to make the changes, the setting of this section needs to be changed.
Option 1: Using Company Settings
- Go to the Company Gear icon. It is present on top-right side corner. Click it.
- Navigate to the Setting option
- Select Company Setting
- On the left-hand side of the screen, choose the Sales Form Entry option
- Tick the Custom Transaction Number checkbox
- Click on Save
- On the Custom Transaction Numbers section, set your number preferences
- A field labeled Invoice No. gets added
- Enter any number or letter you want to sequence your invoice number as.
Option 2: Using Accounts and Settings
- On the Toolbar, click the Gear icon
- Choose Account and Settings
- Click on Sales
- Click anywhere on the Sales Form Content portion
- Turn on the Custom Transaction Numbers option
- Choose Save
- Click Done
- Open any invoice randomly
- Enter the desired number for it in the Invoice No. field
- The invoices that follow would automatically be saved according to the new custom number that you have put in.
Don’t forget to turn off the Custom Transaction Numbers option, which you turned on in Option 2 Step 5. This will ensure that no accidental changes are made to the invoice numbers. In case, you forget to turn off the feature, it would only make things difficult for you as the invoice number may get changed without any user warning or notification.
Option 3: Editing the Duplicated Invoice Number
This is the option that should be chosen in case the invoice number is found repetitive or duplicate.
- Click on the duplicated invoice. Open it
- Scroll to the bottom of it
- Click on More
- Select to Edit the Invoice number
- Click on Save
The steps above will surely help you resolve the issue. The guidelines are simple enough for users to comprehend. In case, you are unable to follow the instructions, they will ask you for your system’s access and they will do the changes or resolve the issue from their end.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
What is an Invoice Number?
An invoice number is a unique number that the software allots to the number of invoices that you store in it. It is set automatically and accordingly, the new invoices that follow are sequentially arranged and numbered.
Why do You Need to Change/Adjust the Invoice Number?
You might need to change/adjust invoice number in QuickBooks in the following three scenarios:
When you might need to name or number the invoices in a different way for your convenience.
When you want to keep invoice numbers different for different clients for organizing the invoices in a better way for easy retrieval later on.
When you notice duplication of the invoice number, which could happen due to any whatsoever reason.
How do I Change the Invoice Number?
You can change the invoice number in QuickBooks by following the below-mentioned steps:
• On the Toolbar, click the Gear icon
• Choose Account and Settings
• Click on Sales
• Click anywhere on the Sales Form Content portion
• Turn on the Custom Transaction Numbers option
• Choose Save
• Click Done
• Open any invoice randomly
• Enter the desired number for it in the Invoice No. field
• The invoices that follow would automatically be saved according to the new custom number that you have put in.
• Don’t forget to turn off the Custom Transaction Numbers option, which you turned on in Option 2 Step 5.