When running any organization, it does not matter whether it is small or big; you need the customer details. Hence while using QuickBooks for bookkeeping and accounts, customer data is an essential requirement. QuickBooks, like other trending software, permits the ease of importing and exporting data. It provides improved features like integration and import. We will discuss how to import customers into QuickBooks from Excel/CSV in the below blog. Read the complete blog to know the whole procedure of importing customer or vendor contact lists from Excel.
When do you need to Importing customer data?
Manually data entry related to each customer instantly might be very frustrating and time-consuming. Therefore, you need to make an intelligent decision to use the import feature to reduce delay and enhance accuracy. Importing option is mainly used in QuickBooks when there is a frequent need to analyze reports or when running sale tax. Each time manual uploading of the customer data might be complex, so in this scenario import, or export feature is beneficial.
Things you need to Consider Before you Import Contacts from Excel:
- Check the size of the file; it should be up to 2MB or 1000 rows
- For a larger-sized list, you need to split the list into small parts and perform multiple imports
- Make sure you are not trying to import sub-accounts because QuickBooks online does not support sub-accounts. If there are sub-accounts, then it is suggested to change them into the parent accounts before importing. Once import complete, you can easily change them back into sub-accounts.
- If mistakenly the wrong file is imported, or import is done incorrectly or requires re-importing, the customer data won’t be overwritten. It in turns creates duplicate entries. Therefore you need to delete the duplicate entries or edit them individually.
- Make sure the name field entries are unique
- You can add only a single email address while importing. However, you can add others later after import
- check the spreadsheet format as below:
- It should not contain any blank row, charts, or formulas
- It should contain contacts
- Check the first row should contain headers
- Verify the spreadsheet does not contain any errors
- Check the entries should not have any quotation marks or colons
How to Import Customers into QuickBooks from Excel/CSV?
You can directly import customer lists or file them into QuickBooks; here are the steps:
Step 1: Prepare an Excel Spreadsheet for Import
To format the spreadsheet correctly is important and the initial phase to import into QuickBooks. Verify the field restrictions and descriptions while preparing a sheet. Follow the below instructions:
- Firstly make a new spreadsheet in Excel.
- Ensure that you are accessing sheet1 of the spreadsheet and check the first row. It should be filled with a column key in capital letters. Check there should be no blank field
- The import maps the address of the excel sheet to the QuickBooks online
- Save the spreadsheet with the correct format, such as XLS or an XLSX file.
- In case you are accessing the Google Sheets, then the spreadsheet gets automatically saved.
- Review the entered information and ensure that everything looks perfect.
Start Importing Customer Data:
Once you are confirmed with the correct spreadsheet, you are now ready to import customer data into QuickBooks Online. Here are the steps:
- The initially sign in to the QuickBooks online
- Click on the Settings option, then choose Import Data
- Hit Customers
- Now click on the Browse button to start uploading the file from the system
- Select the file and then click Open
- If you need to upload from the Google sheets, then click on Connect button to sign in to the Google account.
- Hit on the file and then choose the Select option
- Choose Next
- Discover the column which says field, click on the small icon
- Start matching the field corresponding to the field in the QuickBooks online
- In case there is no matching column in the spreadsheet, click No Match
- After this, confirm the contacts and then unselect if there is an irrelevant field you don’t want to save
- Once you are done with these steps, click on the Import button
Hopefully, the above information is helpful to you to proceed confidently to import customers’ data to QuickBooks Online. Save more time with the use of the tool! Using intelligent techniques is a great savior. There are several importer tools available with many perks. For instance, the Dancing Numbers Tool is a productive tool that assists you in importing data in Batch and many other benefits. Stay updated with the platform to know more tips and tricks to import, export, and delete processes.
Can I Import Customer’s Data in Batch?
Absolutely, you can use the importer tool if you need to import data in bulk and save your precious time for other tasks.
Is the Importer Tool is Compatible with all Versions of QuickBooks?
Yes, Dancing Numbers importer is compatible with all QuickBooks versions, including QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks desktop, or Enterprise.
How can I Prevent Importing Errors in QuickBooks online?
Make sure you are formatting the spreadsheet accurately and following the required protocols and restrictions.
What are the options available to Import Customer Data into QuickBooks online?
Excel or using importer tool
Where can you Import Data into QuickBooks online?
You need to locate the import data menu in QuickBooks to import data.