QuickBooks recently released maintenance, R5 for QuickBooks 2021. Users should ensure their account information is updated based on the New Federal Compliance Rules. The most essential updates are Principal Officer, Physical Address, Address, SSN, and other business information before the deadline. Also, users will get a warning message for updating their account information in the Payroll Center. However, you may get a QuickBooks error 40001 before updates. In this scenario, you will need to use different methods to mitigate this issue.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
What is QuickBooks Error 40001 – Failed to Activate Direct Deposit?
This error occurs because the payroll information is not updated or the login is not done as an administrator. The error would result in the speed deterioration of the tools you are using.
What are the Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error 40001 Occurrence?
QuickBooks Error 40001 message could appear on your screen due to the following causes:
- QuickBooks Desktop is not accessed using admin credentials.
- The application is not an updated version.
- Internet connection falters while updating the application.
- The system is affected by viruses or malware.
- Some of the QuickBooks component files are missing.
- Payroll data are stored in company files. Therefore, corrupt QuickBooks files can cause this error.
- Technical glitches in the software or Inuit can lead to mismatched updates. It means the Realm ID of the company is not updated equally at all ends. This situation can cause QuickBooks Error 40001 as well.
- There could be a problem with the QuickBooks installation leading to incomplete installation.
- The payroll tax table should be properly updated as well. Any missing updates can cause this error.
- Users’ operating systems must have Internet Explorer as the default browser to avoid unnecessary errors such as failing to activate direct deposit error.
- Hardware malfunction can also be liable for error 40001 in QuickBooks.
- An inadequate connection between the transaction weblink and the application can lead to a Direct Deposit compliance update Error 40001.
- Low disk space can also cause this error.
Now that you are aware of the reasons for this error, you should also know the consequences associated with it. The next section will clarify this information.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 40001 – Failed to Activate Direct Deposit?
- When the software is running, the error might pop up creating disturbances.
- Users would not be able to use payroll features and activate direct deposits.
Thus, you need to troubleshoot this error immediately. To do so, follow the next section.
What are the Solutions to Mitigate the QuickBooks Error 4001?
Method 1: Logging in Using Admin Credentials
- Go to the Windows icon and disclose the Start button.
- Write QuickBooks in the search bar. Now, press Enter.
- You will see the QuickBooks application option. Do not start it.
- Right-click on the icon. Select Run as Administrator.
- A permission dialogue box will appear afterward.
- Select Yes and open the application.
Method 2: Using the Verify or Rebuild Data Tool
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go to the File menu and select the Utility option from the list in the drop-down menu.
- Click on the Verify data option and press OK to allow issue identification by the tool.
- If no message appears on the screen, the issue has been solved.
- However, if the error occurs again, you must use the Rebuild Data tool option to mitigate it.
Important Note: Make sure you have backup data of your company file because the rebuild data tool deletes some of the transactions in the process.
Once done, follow the below instructions.
- Go to the File menu. Choose Utilities.
- Click on the Rebuild Data option and press OK to start.
- You will see a Wizard appearing on your system screen.
- Follow all the instructions provided by it to complete the rebuilding process.
- After completion, follow the previous steps to use the Verify Data option again.
- You will see that the QuickBooks error 40001 is solved.
Method 3: Mending QuickBooks Desktop to Resolve Error 40001
There are two steps to continue this process.
Step 1: Installing QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Exit all the QuickBooks programs on your computer
- Go to Inuit’s official website.
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Save your file to any place on your computer, such as the desktop screen.
- Click on the installation file twice to engage in the installation process.
- To launch it, double-click on it after it is installed.
Step 2: Utilize Quick Fix My Program
- Go to the Program Problems tab. Select the Quick Fix My Program option from the list.
- Allow the program to run.
- Start QuickBooks to check whether the error persists.
- If it does, click the Installation Issues tab and select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Make sure that it completes the run.
- Now, reboot the system and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 4: Updating the QuickBooks Desktop Software
As the error is mostly caused due to the use of an outdated application, you need to update it immediately. The accounting software can be updated by the given steps:
- Open the QuickBooks application.
- Press the Help tab and choose the Update QuickBooks option.
- Select LMB on the option and click on Update Now.
- It is a bit time-consuming, so, wait till it is done updating the latest changes.
- Once done, click on File and select Exit.
- Open QuickBooks software again and press OK when the Update Now popup appears.
Method 5: Using the Program Repair Tool
Before commencing this method, you should have a backup of your company file. Restart your computer after that to make sure that no program will affect your fixing procedure.
- Write Control Panel in the search bar of your computer.
- Select the application once it appears and click on the Uninstall a Program option.
- You will see another option named the Programs and Features option. If not, select Program, and then you can see the option.
- After pressing that, you will see a list of applications. Find QuickBooks in the list under Uninstall or Change option.
- After selecting QuickBooks, press Continue, and then Repair.
- You will be prompted with the option Next. Click on it to commence the process.
- Be patient as the process running time could be long. Once completed, click Finish.
- Restart your computer to finish the entire fixing process. Also, check if the QB Desktop application is the latest version with all the updates.
Method 6: Making Internet Explorer the Default Browser
- Start the Internet Explorer and click on the Tools option (or Gear icon) at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select Internet Options and choose the Programs tab.
- Go to the Make Default option and select Apply followed by OK that confirms the alterations.
- Internet Explorer is your default browser now. Now, update the account changes or re-activate the direct deposit.
Method 7: Cleaning Install QuickBooks Application
If you observe that none of the solutions are working, you need to take backups of your files and start a clean installation. First, uninstall the software from your computer by noting the mentioned steps.
- Visit the Control Panel on your PC.
- You will see the Programs and Features tab (or find this option under the Programs tab) and the list of Uninstall programs.
- Select QuickBooks and follow the instructions from the appeared Wizard on your screen to uninstall the application.
- After uninstallation, go to the QuickBooks tool hub to run the cleaning procedure.
- Now for re-installation, go to the official website of the application. Click twice to download the needed file and follow the instructions provided on the screen.
- Input all the product- and license-associated details, and accept all the terms and conditions.
- After finishing the reinstall process, start setup as per provided instructions.
To sum up the article, it includes the causes of error 40001 and the methods that can help mitigate it. It is found that it mainly occurs due to the absence of updates in the application. Following the methods mentioned in this article can help you overcome the problem.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the fast fixes for QuickBooks Error 40001?
There are some time-consuming methods to fix this error. It is advised to use them as well to eradicate the issue. However, some of the quick fixes are:
1. Login with admin credentials.
2. Completing pending updates.
3. Changing the default browser of your computer to Internet Explorer.
Why does QuickBooks Payroll account update error 40001 occur?
Users do not have permission to activate Direct Deposit or Your Payroll if the application runs on a multi-user mode. Therefore, such errors can appear.
What does Realm ID mean?
The Realm ID is a unique QuickBooks user identification that connects each QuickBooks Online account with a specific company. It is basically your company ID that can be found in the Your Account section in the online version of QuickBooks.