Both the QuickBooks for Mac and QuickBooks for Windows involve the usage of distinct types of databases. This is because of the fact that there is no Accountant’s Copy tool available in the QuickBooks Mac. Hence, converting a file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows and then back again becomes necessary.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Nowadays, Macs are remarkably gaining immense popularity among various officials such as accountants and business owners, almost all of them require QuickBooks installed on their server. QuickBooks for Mac is a customized alternative for such kinds of users. However, such users are advised to send their QuickBooks files to an accountant or another user who is having a Windows machine. The files used in QuickBooks for Mac are different from those in QuickBooks for Windows. This means that it is crucial for such users to know how to convert a file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows. With the help of this article, let us find out methods for converting a file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows in a simplified manner.
Method to Convert a File from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows:
Following are the steps that should be used to convert a file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows. Adopt and use them in a sequential manner to meet this purpose.
Step 1: Prepare Your File.
- Choose the company file you want to convert and create a copy of it on the desktop of your computer.
- Then you need to navigate the QuickBooks software.
- After that, choose Preferences and then ‘My Company‘. Search for the special characters present, if any, in the company along with the file name. If you find them, you are then required to rename them and remove the special characters.
- Once searched, Open and explore the company file in QuickBooks.
- Having done with the above step, delete all the memorized reports and memorized transactions.
- In the next step, choose the option ‘File‘ and then head on to the ‘Utilities‘ section.
- Now you are supposed to click on the option Rebuild data for the company file.
- Open and execute the report of Custom Transaction Detail.
- After that, you need to enable the Memo column. Make sure that you change the date range to All beforehand.
- Head on to the Reports column.
- Run the report of Custom Transaction Detail.
- Post that, the Modify Report window gets displayed on your computer screen.
- In the Dates drop-down field thus appeared, tap on the ‘All‘ option.
- Click on the Memo from the columns that drop-down. You must know that the selection of columns is shown by a checkmark.
- Finally, tap on the ‘Ok‘ button to run the report successfully.
- At last, you need to check if there are any memos having names longer than (50) fifty characters or the ones that have any special characters. If found any, edit the transaction, remove the same memo and rebuild your file once again.
Step 2: Converting the File from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows.
- Open QuickBooks on your Macbook.
- Open the company file you want to convert and choose the option File.
- After that, you are required to tap on the ‘Backup to QuickBooks for Windows‘ option.
- Once done, search for a filename. When it is found, press the ‘CTRL‘ and ‘S‘ keys simultaneously to get it saved on the location. Ensure that you do not forget to save your file on the desktop.
- Tap on the Save option and click run to begin the backup process. Please note that once the backup is completed, a PDF file will get displayed on the computer screen for printing. It is highly recommended to print the instruction manual for the help of Windows users so that they can take its reference when they are trying to restore the file.
- As the next step, you need to transfer the file with the required .QBB extension to the Windows computer. Also, to add to your knowledge, it is always advised that transfer should be done with the help of a CD, FTTP, or USB. You should avoid doing that via emails as it can possibly lead to unwanted damage to your files.
- Once done, you are now required to run the QuickBooks for Windows.
- Go and navigate the File menu and choose the option named Open or Restore Company.
- Then you have to select the option Restore a backup copy which is found just below the Open or Restore Company tab and click on ‘Next‘.
- After that tap on the option Local backup and then hit the Next button.
- You will find a Backup Copy window that pops up on your screen.
- Look for the required .QBB file just under the Mac user section, click on it and choose Open.
- Finally, you just need to Enter ‘yes’ in the space given and hit the Ok button once you get a message to convert your file.
Step 3: Reconvert the File from QuickBooks for Windows back to QuickBooks for Mac.
- Open the company file and run it on QuickBooks for Windows.
- Just like you did in the previous steps, move to the File menu and choose the option named Utilities.
- Having done this, you have to select the option Copy Company File for Mac.
- Then tap on Save to save the file. It is recommended to save the file on your desktop for quick and easy access.
- After that, you need to move the file that has the extension ‘.MAC.QBB‘.
- Now you have to open QuickBooks for Mac.
- Go to the File menu and tap on the option named as Restore.
- Choose the ‘From a Disk‘ option, tap on the file and then click open.
- After you get a prompt to restore a Windows file, hit the Ok button.
- Once done with the above step, Fill in the name of your restored file.
- The final is to click on the Save button to save the changes thus made.
The aim of this article is to make you understand why it is important to convert a file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows. A step-by-step approach has been also provided to do the same. Follow it in a sequential manner to carry out this conversion manually. If you are still not able to do that on your own or you are facing any other problem, feel free to reach out to the Dancing Numbers expert via LIVE CHAT. The experts are highly experienced in handling problems related to QuickBooks.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.
Is it important to Update QuickBooks for Mac before Converting one of its Files to QuickBooks for Windows? If Yes, What are the Steps?
Yes, it is very important to update your QuickBooks for Mac before you proceed to convert its file to QuickBooks for Windows to avoid any in-between glitches. Use the steps given below to get it done with ease.
Firstly, uninstall the QuickBooks for Mac.
Download it again.
Head on to the QuickBooks Download and Updates section.
Search for updates if they are any available.
If updates are found, click on install Update.
Follow the on-screen instructions to finally install the latest version.
What is the Meaning of Round-tripping?
Round-tripping is the process of converting your files from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows and then vice-versa.
Can I use the Same QuickBooks File on Mac and Windows?
No, it is not possible to use the same file both in QuickBooks for Mac and QuickBooks for Windows. This is because Mac and Windows are two different operating systems having distinct databases. However, you can only convert a file present on either of the software to the other and vice versa. For that, you just need to get in use the steps given in this article for converting a company file from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows.