QuickBooks helps you to manage your work in an advanced way; it also saves your time and helps you to work with many new features. Sometime, while working with QuickBooks you might be required to change company files from QuickBooks for MAC to QuickBooks for Windows. The below-mentioned article below covers the information on “How to convert QuickBooks for MAC file to QuickBooks for Windows” and “Convert QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac”.
Let’s start the article; it helps you to avoid starting over. Simply convert your Mac company file to Windows and you are ready to start.
Steps to Convert QuickBooks for MAC file to QuickBooks for Windows
Step 1: Update QuickBooks for MAC
First of all update your QuickBooks, follow the below steps to update your QuickBooks Updating the QuickBooks for MAC provides you the latest features and tools which help you to fix out the common issues.
- Open the QuickBooks for Mac
- Now, go to the QuickBooks drop-down menu and choose the option “Check for QuickBooks update”
- Wait and see if any new version is available, if yes select Install Update option
- Once the installation is done you will be prompt, at that time select the option Install and Re-launch
- Once the update is complete, QuickBooks for Mac automatically open up
How to do Manual Update?
- First of all, you need to uninstall QuickBooks for Mac
- Close the QuickBooks if it is open
- Now go to Go applications under the Finder menu
- Select the QuickBooks icon and drag it to trash
- After uninstalling QB for Mac, you need to reinstall the latest version
- Initially, download the QuickBooks and updates
- After downloading, while installing select the correct product, version, and country
- Now click on the option search
- To download the installer file select Download option
- Now, you will see a file downloaded with .dmg extension
- Double click on .dmg file
- Click, hold and drag the QuickBooks icon inside the application folder to install
- Finally, restore your company file in the QuickBooks
Step 2: Make your Company File Ready
In the first step, you need to remove all the memos which are more than 50 characters or contain special characters such as !@#$%^^&*.
Steps to Search Memos with Special Characters
- In QuickBooks go to the Reports menu and after that go to option Custom Transaction Details report
- Now, select option All Dates under the Date drop-down menu
- Select a transaction with a memo and open it
- Once the transaction is opened, delete the special characters from the memo field and save it
- Now, close the transaction
- See the other transactions as well and repeat the same above steps for those transactions as well
- At this step, sort your lists
- Click and Run verify and rebuild the company file. Go to File menu >>> select Utility option and then select option verify Data
Step 3: How to Convert the Company File
- Open the company files as Administrator. Go to File >>> select Export option and select To QuickBooks for Windows.
- At this point, select verify if you are prompted by the system to verify before the backup
- Give a name to the file and to save it select a folder, then click on Save( Don’t add any special characters while giving the file name)
- Enter the password and confirm it, then select OK
- You will be getting one more confirmation window, select ok that time as well
- Select your file and move it to your Windows computer.
- Finally restore the file in QuickBooks for Windows.
Now, after converting for MAC file to QuickBooks for Windows you might need to convert the file to QuickBooks for Windows to Mac, this complete process is called Round Tripping. Now, to convert the QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac again follow the below steps.
Steps to Convert QuickBooks for Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac
Follow the steps given below to convert the Windows file to QuickBooks for Mac
Step 1: On Windows Computer
- First of all, update your QuickBooks Desktop for Windows with the latest release
- Once updated, open the file as administrator.
- Go to the options File >>> Utilities and select the option Copy Company file for QuickBooks Mac
- Follow the coming instructions on the screen. QuickBooks will create a MAC.qbb file (backup file )
- A message will pop up with the information “it looks like QuickBooks for Windows might be a better fit for your company”. Check the data which is not converted from Windows.
- Select yes if you want to go ahead
- Go to the folder the file needs to be saved. Mention a name to the file and save the file. Do not use special characters in the name
- Once everything is done, move the file to your Mac through any storage devices
Step 2: Restoring the MAC.qbb backup on Mac
A MAC.qbb file is a copy of a QuickBooks Desktop company file that can be restored in QuickBooks for Mac using the below steps.
- Update your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release
- Now, Quit the QuickBooks
- Copy the backup to the Documents folder on your Mac
- Open QuickBooks Desktop for Mac again, select option File >>> Open Company
- Choose the MAC.qbb file and select option Open
- If the system asks you to restore a QuickBooks for Windows file, select OK
- Now give a name to the restored file and save it.
Having Query or doubts? Feel free to connect with the Dancing Numbers team. DN team is always ready to assist you 24*7 with all the resolutions. Dancing Numbers experts are polite, professional, and have many years of experience which enhances the skills and improve the knowledge.