A credit memo is a document issued to the buyer by the seller of the goods. It is generally issued when the buyer return services to the sellers or if occur any pricing disputes or may be some other reasons. A credit memo contains the records of accounts payable balance, account receivable balance, or more. There are many other advantages associated with credit memos. Many credit memos have been generated for performing product transactions. The challenge comes when you have to upload the credit memos manually in the system. Fortunately, QuickBooks online permits importing of the credit memos stored in the system. You can save more time with bulk import! Let’s explore the procedure of how to import credit memos into QuickBooks online from Excel/CSV.
When did you need to Import Credit Memos into QuickBooks Online?
There are numerous reasons or scenario might encounter while managing accounting, bookkeeping, and sale tax or payroll tasks. Sometimes it becomes mandatory to add credit memos into QuickBooks to stay updated with the product sale or return or other disputes. At that time, adding a manual credit note of each product might be very time-consuming and frustrating. To tackle such cases, users need to import credit memos in QuickBooks online.
What are the Things you need to know Before Importing Credit Memos into QuickBooks?
- Suppose you have a massive volume of new customers or services to import. In that case, you can use the different import methods like import products & services or import supplier contacts or customers from Gmail or Outlook.
- Make sure that negative and discounts amounts are not compatible
- When none of the currency is specified, and new customers are imported, then the QuickBooks has set the default currency as GBD
- Credit notes with multiple line items: In Credit notes with multiple line items, make sure that each line entry in the credit notes clearly describes the credit note details. It should include details like a customer, number, date, etc.
Things to know about VAT during Import Process of Credit Memos:
VAT must be turned on in QuickBooks to process importing of the transactions with correct VAT amounts. Here are some points:
- The VAT amounts and codes are not needed when the VAT is enabled in QuickBooks. Moreover, sample file does not comprise VAT columns.
- There required VAT coding and VAT columns if VAT is applicable in QB
- QuickBooks perform All VAT based calculations on the VAT code if none of the amounts is outlined
- If the amount overrides any calculations over the specified VAT amount that QuickBooks would generally do. It permits rounding differences between any third-party application and QuickBooks.
- Ensure that Custom Transaction numbers are turned on if you need to retain the credit note enumeration in the CSV file.
- Use the format [category name]:[item name] while entering the item in the csv file; if you need to allocate a category while importing products or services
- Ensure that if the name of the product is already allocated to a category, it is not compatible to import.
How to Import Credit Memos in QuickBooks Online?
Let’s delve into the below-written steps to import credit memo in QuickBooks:
Step 1 – Open Import Credit Memos Tool:
- First of all, locate the Gear icon and give a click on it
- Below the tools button, choose Import Data
- After this, click on Import credit notes
Step 2 – CSV File Uploading:
- Make sure you have already filled the fields like a customer, email, billing address, credit note date, the message displayed on the invoice, the message displayed on the memo.
- Once you entered all the mandatory fields, click on the Browse option
- Hit your .csv file
The Thing to Note:
If no line item appears, then QB will be present the field with a generic item known as sales.
- Next, auto-creates line items for new customers or for the line items that are not present in QuickBooks online. In case you like to auto-create line items or customers, then verify the application options
- Click on the Next option
Step 3 – Map Column Headings:
- Mandatory fields are outlined as an asterisk (*). Other fields do not appear to need to mark Not Applicable.
- Choose the date format you have used; for instance, DD/MM/YYYY
- Click the VAT option if applicable, i.e., inclusive or exclusive. If VAT is not set up in QB, then this tab is not available
- On the final mapping window, map your VAT codes associated with the field of QuickBooks, then click next
- If any mapping issues appear on the screen so you can go back and fix them.
Step 4 – Import Credit Notes:
- Click on the Start Import and let the import process get started
- Once you complete the mapping, the summary will display on the screen
- If any credit is unable to import, you can easily view it in the summary window; simply click on the failed credit not to see the reason for failure.
- Click All done; you will get a prompt with a final completion summary
- Hit the OK button to finish
What are the Primary Issues Found while Importing Credit Memos into QuickBooks from CSV Files?
Here are some significant issues which occur while importing credit memos into QuickBooks:
- Matching error when the expected columns don’t appear in the proper order or missing column
- File size error; make sure you have compressed file
- Data transaction error is mainly due to incorrect encoding, so verify the standard characters or data values error
- Missing Data or Syntax error
Here the article about How to import credit memos into QuickBooks online from excel completes! You can explore more on this website about import, export, and deleting the items in QuickBooks. Meanwhile, experience once the Dancing Numbers tool to get many benefits while importing, to export, or deleting processes. It is a reliable utility that lets you import credit notes in bulk with few clicks!
How can I turn on the Credit Note auto-apply option in QuickBooks online?
• Click on the Settings option
• Choose Account and settings
• Hit Advanced button
• Choose Edit in the section which says Automation
• Click on Automatically apply for credits
• Choose Save and then click Done
What is the Procedure of Creating a Credit Note in QuickBooks online?
• Click on the +New option
• Choose Credit note
• Hit the customer drop-down button to choose the customer name
• Write the credit note details, like the amount and date
• Once you are done with this, hit on Save and Close button
How to Apply the Credit note to an Invoice in QuickBooks?
If your credit note auto-apply option is enabled, then the QB automatically the credit for you. If not enabled, here are the steps:
• Click +New option
• Choose Receive Payment
• Click on the drop-down named customer, choose the customer
• Select the Outstanding Transaction button, click on the open invoice you need to apply the credit note to
• Click on the credit tab, choose the credit notes you need to apply
• Locate the Payment column, fill in the quantity of the credit you want to apply
• Keep the fields blank like payment mode, deposit to, the amount received, or reference no
• Enter out the remaining fields of the form, including the payment date
• Ensure that the sum is right after applying the credit note
• Click on Save and close button
Can I use the Delayed Credit to an Invoice?
Yes, you can apply the delayed credit to an invoice. Make sure you are adding a delayed credit before the accounting period.