Do you want to take your reports and prepare them on QuickBooks and go ahead with their interpretation in Excel sheets? Well, need not worry! You can easily do that by quickly saving your reports with the extension ‘.xlsx’ of Excel workbooks, CSV spreadsheets, or PDFs.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
This article is all about how you can save QuickBooks reports and makes use of them in Microsoft Office Excel with great ease.
How can You Export a Report in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows?
Exporting a report made in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to excel is not a complicated task. You can simply get the following steps into use to do this.
- To Begin with, You need to Access the QuickBooks Application on Your System.
- After that, You have to navigate to the Reports Tab and Tap on the option Named Reports Centre.
- Then you are Required to Search for any Report and Run it on Your Desktop.
- Once Done with the above step, Go to the Toolbar and Choose Excel.
- If you want to Save the PDF as a Report then you can also Choose the Print or Email option.
- Then you have to choose ‘Create New Worksheet‘ to make a new Excel workbook.
- After that, tap on the Update Existing Worksheet option if you want to update an already existing workbook with the open report data.
- Now, you need to Choose the Browse option and look for the Workbook on Your Computer System. You must know that this overwrites the workbook that is already saved.
- Then, You need to select the Advanced option Just in case you wish to Format the Data in a Specific way, as this step is optional.
Note: It is important that the report has fewer than 256 columns. Excel allows 256 columns in a worksheet (QuickBooks).Select Advanced if you see a message telling you that your report has too many columns.
Click OK after unticking the box for Space between columns.
Save your report as a CSV instead of an Excel workbook if you want more columns.
- When you’re done, Click OK to export. You can also choose Export to open the report in Excel.
How to Export a Report in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
Please Note: Mac Office 365 users can easily run the Excel workbooks using Apple version 3.5, Microsoft Excel 2016 or later.
If you desire to export a report that is prepared in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to Microsoft Excel, then you can just get the following steps into use to do it with ease.
- The first step is to head on to the Reports tab and look for the report you want to export.
- After that, You need to Choose the option Export.
- Then you are Supposed to Tap on the File as soon as it Starts Running.
- And Finally, The last Step is to Pick the Save As option to Save Your Work.
You must know that as soon as you are done with the above step, QuickBooks will open the Excel workbooks with the already set default application. If you wish to change it, here’s how you can do it.
- Firstly, Make a Right-click on the file.
- After that, Tap on the Get Info Tab.
- Once Done, Navigate the Open With tab and choose Microsoft Excel/Apple Numbers.
- The Final Step is to Select the option Named Change All.
After having done the steps mentioned above, make changes in your report preferences and set them accordingly to modify the type of file that is required by QuickBooks to export. (.sylk or .xlsx).
How to Stay Updated on Reports While Working in Excel?
Once you have successfully exported the reports to excel, then you will get your hands on the latest version of the QuickBooks application while working on the excel sheets.
Important: When updating Excel reports, you must have QuickBooks Desktop open in order to set your permissions and preferences.
After you are done, you will be able to update your reports from within Excel using the steps mentioned below, even if your QuickBooks application is closed.
- To Begin with, Access Microsoft Excel and head to the QuickBooks tab.
- Microsoft Excel automatically adds the updates if any, for the first time you export them.
- Finally, Choose the option named Update Report to get the latest available version of the report from QuickBooks.
How to Export MS Excel Files from QuickBooks?
Below-mentioned is the list of different MS excels files you can export in QuickBooks Desktop:
Customer/Vendor/Payroll List & Transactions:
Here are the steps:
- Open your QuickBooks
- Locate Vendor/Customer/Payroll center
- Choose drop-down named Excel and then select the preference given below:
- Export Customer/Employee list/Vendor list if you need to export-related the mentioned field data like balances, name and contact information
- Export Transactions: in case you require to export transactions through name or their type
- Discover the Export window, select whether to generate a new worksheet, or need to update an existing worksheet.
- Choose the Export option
- It will let QuickBooks display MS Excel where you can edit the required information
- Open QuickBooks
- Discover the list option and then click on Item List
- Locate drop-down named Excel and then select Export all items
- View the Export window to select the worksheet; you can choose the existing one or create a new sheet
- Click on Export option
- The MS Excel will display on the screen where you can perform the required editing
Reports contain information regarding QuickBooks exports to Excel. It consists of the below items:
- Date present in the report as it appeared on the screen
- Row labels determining the contents associated with each row
- Report’s headers and footers.
- The formula for totals, subtotals, and other calculations.
The Following are the Steps to Export the MS Excel formatted Reports:
- Choose and open the report that you need to export
- Locate the drop-down named Excel located at the top of the report
- Click Create New Worksheet or Update Existing Worksheet
- Discover the window named Send Report to Excel to select the required task in the report
- Choose the Advanced option to view other available buttons for the exported report
- Hit on OK button
- Make sure that the exported report displaying the header description
- If you are accessing an advanced version of MS excel and your exported report unable to display header information, then follow the below step:
Locate the Printing button and ensure that you have selected the On Printed report and
- Once done, click on the Export option; the MS Excel sheets will display on the screen. You can easily edit the information as required.
Why Choose Dancing Numbers Exporter?
Dancing Numbers Exporter is user-friendly software providing ease of exporting files, including MS Excel files. Don’t worry about the compatibility issue! It supports all advanced QuickBooks version. It is developed by using an advanced algorithm to streamline the export process. The plus point is you can export files in bulk by consuming less time with a few clicks. Download this useful tool from the Dancing Numbers. It will save more time.
Hopefully, the above article provided you information on How to export MS Excel files from QuickBooks. Don’t forget to take a backup before performing the backup process. Use Dancing Numbers tools for importing, exporting, and deleting data in QuickBooks. Stay tuned in this website to get more updated guidance to streamline the Import, Export, and Delete process in QuickBooks.
You should have understood the ways and steps to export Excel from the QuickBooks desktop by now. If you still face any problems, even after carefully following the given steps, feel free to reach out to the Dancing Numbers experts. The experts here are highly experienced in their respective domains and they are ready to assist you 24/7 in the best possible way.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do if I Encounter a Message that States my Report has too many Columns while I Export Excel from the QuickBooks Desktop?
If you receive any message that states like ‘your report has too many columns’, then make use of the following steps.
Choose the option that is named ‘Advanced’.
Click on the checkbox ‘Space between columns’ to uncheck it, and hit the Ok button.
Alternatively, save your report in CSV format if you need more columns.
Which Versions should I have on Windows and Mac to Run Excel Workbooks easily when I Proceed to Export Excel from the QuickBooks Desktop?
The compatible versions for Windows and Mac to run Excel workbooks easily are as under.
For Windows: Microsoft Excel 2016 or later
For Mac: Apple version v3.5 with Mac Office 365 inclusive.
What are the Steps to set Report Preferences before updating them while I move ahead to Export Excel from the QuickBooks Desktop?
If you don’t like the way QuickBooks displays your reports then you can change it by setting your report preferences, which is done using the following steps.
Visit the QuickBooks menu and choose Preferences.
After that, select the option Reporting.
Head to the General and Classify cash tab to choose your preferences.