Your QuickBooks server, like any other application server, needs to be switched to newer hardware (and to a current version of the software) after a few years. Whether migrating to a new server or upgrading from Server 2008 to Server 2019, the procedure is not insurmountable, but neither is it simple. Fortunately, it’s a lot easier than you would think: in this post, we’ll show you how to migrate your QuickBooks server, including the QuickBooks deployment, databases, other server programs, user information, networks, authentications, and, of course, essential data.
If you would like to update your present server, you’ll almost certainly have to move your QuickBooks data. When users wish to access QuickBooks corporate records and accounting data from a separate server, they usually migrate QuickBooks to a new server. To complete this operation, you’ll need to install QuickBooks on a different server and then activate the multi-user network so that other members of your team may access the relevant QuickBooks corporate files.
What is a Server Computer and Why Do You Need to Move QuickBooks to a New Server?
All of your QuickBooks Company Files that are on your computer are stored on the computer server. Below you get to know why and how you can migrate QuickBooks to a new server.
You May Need to Move QuickBooks to a New Server:
- At times when you need to update your server to a new version from an older version, then you need to migrate your QuickBooks to the new version to simply access all your company’s data.
- You need to move QuickBooks to a new version of your system crashes.
- When you switch from one city to another city, then you need to move QuickBooks to a new computer.
For Moving QuickBooks to a New Server
Here is the process that helps you to move your QuickBooks account to the new server that you have set up or where you want to shift. Follow the below-mentioned detailed process to migrate QuickBooks to a new server.
Step 1: First on Your Old Computer
- Go to your old computer and switch it on.
- Once you turn it on go to the File menu in QuickBooks.
- On the drop-down menu, click on option Utilities.
- Now go to the option Move QuickBooks to Another Computer.
- After selecting I’m Ready, establish a one-time password.
- Once you set the password, pick the USB flash drive you want to use.
- Finally, wait for the files to get copied.
Step 2: Now Install the Server on the New Computer
- Firstly, insert the USB flash drive you used to store your files in the slot.
- Now to begin the migration, open the flash drive into your computer.
- Once you open the flash drive.
- Double-click the file Move QuickBooks.bat.
- After you enter the password you created to save your data.
- Then select the option Let’s go.
- Finally, Wait for the Migrator Tool to reinstall your QuickBooks to your new computer.
A server computer is a machine that keeps all of the files for your QuickBooks firm. Other computers that are connected to the server computer are known as workstations.
It’s possible that you’ve ought to change an outdated server in the future (Server Computer). As a consequence, you’ll need to move QuickBooks to a new server in order to access all of your company’s information. The following methods might help those who are unclear on how to migrate QuickBooks to a new server.
How to Migrate QuickBooks to a New Server Computer?
To relocate QuickBooks records to another server, you must go through a series of processes. To begin, you must create a backup of your company’s files. You’ll need to install QuickBooks on a new server computer and modify the folder permissions once you’ve created a backup. After that, you must download the QuickBooks Data Server Manager. On the new server PC, you’ll also have to set up admin privileges. Scanning the QuickBooks files folder and enabling multi-user access is the next step.
Read on to discover the entire process of migrating QuickBooks data to a new server by following the stages:
Step 1: To do the Backup of the Company Files in QuickBooks
When you want to take backup, before that check and verify that it is going to save on your local system location. Check that it is not on the network. Follow the steps below:
- Insert the Flash Drive into your system.
- Run the application QuickBooks Desktop into your system.
- You have to select the File menu option from the top menu of QuickBooks.
- From the drop-down options, choose the option Backup Company.
- Further, click on the Create Local Backup option to start the backup process.
- After that, click on the button Next.
- Follow the instructions to complete the backup.
- Then save the backup to the desired location.
- In the end, it starts backing up the file.
- When it completes; then you are done.
Step 2: To Install QuickBooks on a New Server Computer
When you are done with the backup process then proceed towards the installation of QuickBooks on the new system.
- Go to the installation file and then double-click on it to run it.
- In the Installation Wizard, choose the type of installation.
- Choose Custom and Network install.
- Then click on the checkbox named I’ll be utilizing QuickBooks Desktop on this computer to access the full version of QuickBooks software on the new server PC.
- In case, you want to utilize the server PC to host data.
- You have to click on the I will NOT be utilizing QuickBooks Desktop on this computer.
- After that, you may finish installing QuickBooks on the new server.
Step 3: Set Up the Folder Permission
It’s critical to ensure that the folders have permission. Once you’ve migrated QuickBooks Desktop, you’ll be able to view the company files on the new server computer.
- On your Windows system, go to the Windows Start menu button.
- Search for the File Explorer and press Enter button.
- The window of File Manager opens up.
- Open the C drive and then go to the folder of QuickBooks company file.
- Select the folder and then right-click on it.
- From the options, click on the Properties option.
- In the Properties window, click on the Security tab.
- In this, select the option Advanced.
- Click on the QBDataServiceUserXX named folder.
- Hit on the Edit button and then check the Preferences that must be set to the Allowed.
- If the above option is not set then click on the Full Control and then set it to Allow.
- Click on Apply button to save all the changes.
- In the end, click on the OK button to close the window.
Step 4: Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
On the server system that will host the corporate files, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager must be installed. Before proceeding, make sure that all programs on the server computer, including QuickBooks, are closed.
- Find the Setup QuickBooks.exe file that you previously installed.
- Run this file in your system.
- Then follow all the instructions displayed on the screen.
- Select Custom or Network Options if QuickBooks prompts you to choose an installation type.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Next. Make sure you don’t choose Express installation type.
- You can now select the best network setup for your needs.
- Then press the Following button on the next screen.
- With any pick, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will be installed. The existing company file will not be over written if QuickBooks software is installed on the server machine.
- If you want both QuickBooks Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on this PC, choose “I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this PC” (Recommended).
- If you only wish to use the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server computer, choose “I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop…”.
- After following the on-screen instructions, click the Install button.
- Windows PCs could ask for permission so do grant permission to finish the installation process.
Step 5: Set Up the Admin Rights
With any pick, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will be downloaded. When you connect to the new server computer, you should have administrator privileges. Your Windows machine should also have full permissions to use the Database Server Manager.
- Click on the Gear icon that is Settings.
- Then click on the Manage Users option.
- Go to the Action column and then click on the Edit option to edit the user.
- From the drop-down menu of User type.
- Click on the Admin option.
- In the end, click on the Save and Close button.
Step 6: Scan the Folders using QuickBooks Database Server Manager
You may either use QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your Windows machine or run the QuickBooks Tool Hub if it is already installed to scan the folder. In this post, we’ll show you how to utilize QuickBooks Database Server Manager from a PC or laptop as well as the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
1. Run Database Server Manager from Windows
Database Server Manager is a Windows application that allows you to manage your database servers. To run it follow the below steps:
- On the server computer, go to the Windows Start menu button and click on it.
- Use the Windows search box.
- Type QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Press Enter button to open it.
- Make your way to the Scan Folders option.
- Click on the Browser button.
- Open the folder containing your QuickBooks business file.
- Press the OK button to run it.
2. Run Database Server Manager from QuickBooks Tool Hub
The Database Server Manager launched from the QuickBooks Tool Hub and to do so the steps are as follows:
- Double-click the icon of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Then from the left side, select the Network Issues tab option.
- Now, select QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the drop-down menu.
- Select Start scan from the drop-down menu.
- If you want to locate the file, select Browse.
- Then open it from its current place.
- From the drop-down option, choose Start scan.
- After that, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager starts fixing the files.
- When done then check for the error.
Step 7: Enable the Host Multi-User Access
You can enable the multi-user access mode after QuickBooks has been successfully installed on the new server. This will provide your team members access to the new server’s corporate data.
- Firstly, run the QuickBooks Desktop on your Windows system as an Administrator.
- Select the File menu option from the upper left side of the QuickBooks window.
- Choose the Utility option from the drop-down menu.
- Now select option Host Multi-User Access from the drop-down menu.
- If you see the option to Stop Hosting Multi-User.
- Then click it again to host the multi-user mode in your QuickBooks account.
- Now the host multi-user access is enabled so check for errors.
In conclusion, You get to know how to migrate QuickBooks to a new server computer safely. All the related information is shared in detail so that you can easily transfer your data to a new server computer. Just follow the step-by-step process to migrate your QuickBooks data effectively. You must cover the backup of the company file before migrating QuickBooks to a new server computer. After that, you can easily migrate your QuickBooks data and continue with the new QuickBooks installation in the system. If you are still facing any issues, then connect with the Dancing Numbers helpdesk team. The team is available all the time to assist you with solutions.
How does the Migrator Tool work to Securely Migrate QuickBooks to a New Server Computer?
To unlock everything copied to your new computer, you’ll generate a difficult password. You have to make sure that you won’t forget the password so note it down somewhere to save it. This password is essential when you use the migrator tool.
The program will save to a USB flash drive the last three business files opened (together with all supporting files).
The migrator tool help by handling the technical things while moving the data using the USB flash drive.
Install the QuickBooks Desktop version that you want to use on your new server computer. After that synchronize the data file into it properly.
Your disc will not be reformatted, and none of your other data will be deleted.
Without the Migrator Tool, how do you Manually Migrate or Reinstall QuickBooks?
If you need to relocate your QuickBooks Desktop installation, go here.
Make sure you have your product and licensing information handy.
Before attempting a reinstall, uninstall the existing QuickBooks program.
Download the installation files or place the CD on the computer where you want QuickBooks Desktop to be installed.
You are required to do the proper installation of QuickBooks Desktop software using the process.