QuickBooks helps out in filling all the desires of small and medium-sized businesses. But sometimes many of you face issues in importing customers in QuickBooks. If you are the one who is facing the same then go through this blog. This blog is about how to import customers in QuickBooks simply.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Here are some reasons for why you have to import the Customer list into your QuickBooks Pro Online account. The reasons are:-
- When transferring from older to the newer version of QuickBooks
- Migrating data from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
- You have data of Customer list that you want to add in your QuickBooks account
- Many other reasons.
Easily Transfer Your Client Data from Excel, Gmail, or Outlook to QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Pro
- The bulk import of customers from other programs into QuickBooks is a simple process.
- Using Excel, Gmail, Outlook, and other well-known Apps, Export your lists in CSV Format.
- To ensure seamless Imports, Followed by the Size Restrictions and Formatting Specifications.
- This article is Intended for New QuickBooks Users who are Small Business Owners or Bookkeepers.
It makes sense to put your accounting data and customer information in QuickBooks if your accountant or bookkeeper uses it to manage your company’s finances so that invoices can be sent out easily. Although you can manually add contacts to QuickBooks, importing client data in bulk will save you time and effort.
Size Limits and Formatting Requirements
To ensure smooth data imports, you should understand the formatting specifications and file size restrictions before importing customer files into QuickBooks.
- File Sizes Have Limits. The maximum import file size for Excel and Outlook is 1,000 rows or 2MB. You’ll need to separate the data and carry out multiple imports if you want to import larger files.
- Imports of Files could be Done Incorrectly. The file won’t replace your customer list if you have to re-import it after an improper import. Before you re-import the file, remove the incorrectly imported customers to avoid getting duplicates.
- Sub-Account Import is Not Possible. Before importing them, convert subaccounts to parent accounts; after the import is finished, reverse the conversion.
- There can be only one Email Address. Only one email address can be supported throughout the QuickBooks import process. More email addresses can be added later.
- All Data must Have a Unique Name. Each entry in the Name box must be unique. The names of customers cannot be the same.
Other formatting requirements that apply when importing lists from an Excel or Google spreadsheet are as follows:
- In the First Row, You have to Place the Column Headings.
- Insert Contacts on Sheet 1 of the Spreadsheet.
- Make sure there are no Formulas, Blank Rows, or Charts in the Spreadsheet.
- Make sure there are no Errors in the Spreadsheet, such as #VALUE, #N/A, #REF!, or #NAME?
- In the Name Field, Avoid using any Quotation Marks, Colons, or Other Inappropriate Symbols.
How to Import Customer Lists in QuickBooks Online?
It’s quick and simple to import data if you’re using QuickBooks Online, a cloud-based accounting program that can be accessed using a web browser. You don’t need to manually enter data because you can move existing inventory, supplier, and customer lists, as well as account charts, from other applications.
Importing Excel Customer Lists into QuickBooks Online
To ensure that the correct data is imported into the right fields, check that your Excel customer spreadsheet is properly formatted and mapped. Open an Excel spreadsheet, or make a new one, and then perform the following steps that are mentioned below:
- Check the Headers. Make sure the Headers for the columns in the Spreadsheet’s First Row correspond to the Information about the Customer, such as Name, Email, and Mobile Number.
- Fill in the Sheet. Put Contact Information in a New Spreadsheet if you’re making one. If there is no Data in a Column, Leave it Blank.
- Save the Excel Spreadsheet. Then you have to Save the File as an XLS or XLSX, and keep track Where it is saved. The data you Import Maps to the Invoicing Details in QuickBooks.
After that, Sign in to QuickBooks Online and Follow the Below Mentioned Steps
- Begin by Choosing Options (the gear icon).
- Then Choose Import Data and Choose Customers
- Choose Browse to Find the CSV or Excel File you want to Upload.
- Click Open after Navigating to your Excel Worksheet and then Choose Next.
- You will Notice a Warning if any Data is Missing. A checkmark will be Present if the Data is Complete and then Choose Next.
- Choose Import after making any Necessary Changes to the Information.
Import Your Gmail Customer Lists into QuickBooks Online
There are two simple methods for importing customer lists from Gmail to QuickBooks Online. Either export client contacts manually into QuickBooks Online or links Google contacts via Gmail.
Linking Gmail Contacts
- Choose + New on the QuickBooks Online Dashboard.
- Then you have to Choose Invoice under Customers.
- You will be in a New Blank Invoice. Click the drop-down arrow Next to the Customer Field, then Choose Add New.
- Then you have to Select Connect Your Gmail Account.
- To Sync Your Contacts from Gmail to QuickBooks Online, you have to click Accept.
In any transaction, you will now be able to choose a Gmail contact as a customer, but these customers are not added to your QuickBooks Online contacts permanently. For this, you will require to import the entire list or add Gmail contact manually.
Choose the Customers filed drop-down arrow and then click the paper clip icon, in case you want to unlink your Gmail contact from QuickBooks Online.
Importing Customers from Gmail to QuickBooks Online
- Start by Going to Your Gmail Account and log in.
- On the Right side of the Screen, You have to click the Contacts icon.
- To Open a New Tab, Click (the icon looks like a Square with a Diagonal Arrow).
- Click to Select the Contacts you wish to Export only. If not then you can move on to the Next Step.
- Then you have to Choose Export from the Menu on the Left.
- Click Selected Contacts to Export the contacts you Selected, or Select Contacts to Export all Contacts.
- Navigate to Export and Choose Google CSV.
- Choose Export. In Your Downloads Folder, you will see the File.
After that, Sign in to QuickBooks Online and follow these steps:
- Start by Selecting the Settings icon.
- Then you have to Choose Import Data and then Select Customers.
- Now you have to click Browse to Find the CSV or Excel File You want to Upload.
- Click Open after Navigating to the Google CSV File you just Downloaded and then click Next
- You will Notice a Warning if any data is Missing. If the data is Complete, a Checkmark will be Present and then Choose Next.
- Now you have to Select Import after making any Necessary Changes to the Data.
Importing Outlook Customer Lists into QuickBooks Online
Importing Outlook customer lists into QuickBooks Online
Exporting Outlook 2010 data
- Firstly, You have to click on the Office Button that is at the Upper Left and then Select Saving.
- To open the Import Export Wizard You have to Select Export and then Follow the Steps.
Exporting Outlook 2007 and Older Data
- To Launch the wizard, Choose Import and Export from the File menu.
- Choose Export to a File and Enter Comma Separated Values.
- Follow the Instructions and Select a Save Location.
Importing Data into QuickBooks Online
Follow the below steps, After you have Exported Your Outlook Data:
- Start by Signing in to QuickBooks Online and then you have select Settings (the Gear Icon).
- Then you have to Choose Import Data and then Select Customers.
- Choose Browse to Find the CSV or Excel File You want to Upload.
- Click Open after finding Your Outlook CSV file and then Click Next.
- You will Notice a Warning if any Data is Missing. A checkmark will be Present if the Data is Complete and then You have to Choose Next.
- Choose Import after Making any Necessary Changes to the Data.
How to Import Customer Lists in QuickBooks Pro
It is also quick and simple to import your customer lists into QuickBooks Pro, the QuickBooks desktop application.
Importing Excel Customer Lists into QuickBooks Pro
Follow the below steps, to import customer information from an Excel spreadsheet:
- Firstly, You have to Start QuickBooks Pro, then you have to Go to the File menu and then you have to Select Utilities.
- Then you have to Select Import> Excel Files.
- After that, You will see a Window that asks about Editing and Adding Multiple List Entries, and then you have to Select No.
Next, the QuickBooks Pro Import Wizard will help you out with the Import Process. Below are the steps on How it Works:
Step 1: Choose Customers
- Choose the Data that you are willing to Import and then you have to Choose Customers.
- In case you are Importing your first Data Import, you will see a pop-up Warning on Your Screen that you can’t Undo the Import Process.
Step 2: Transfer Data
- From Your Existing Excel Spreadsheet you have to Copy Customer Details and then you have to Paste them into the QuickBooks Excel Template File.
- To find out What kind of Data a Cell should Contain, Move Your Mouse Pointer over it. In Addition, an Example of Cell Formatting is Displayed above the Column Headers.
Step 3: Resolve Issues
- Before you finish the Import Process, make sure Your File is error-free. If QuickBooks finds an issue, a Warning Triangle will Appear in the Corner of the cell Containing the Incorrect Data and an Error Box will appear in the upper Left Corner. If Something is Wrong, QuickBooks will Explain Why and How to Fix it.
Step 4: Save the Changes
- You have to Choose to Add My Data Now once the Data’s Accuracy has been confirmed.
- Choose Save & Add My Info Now if you haven’t yet saved the Changes you made to the Excel Template. Important: You will Lose Your Progress if you Choose I’ll Add My Info Later.
- On your PC You have to Save the File.
Step 5: Choose the File and Import it
- The File ought to instantly Show up in the Add My Data Now Window after You Save it. If you can’t find it then You can click Browse and Choose the Appropriate File.
- Add My Data Now by clicking. You will Receive a Message indicating that the Import of Your Data File was successful. Your Customer List is now Available in QuickBooks Pro.
Importing Customer Lists from Gmail into QuickBooks Pro
Create a CSV export file to transfer your Gmail contact list into QuickBooks Pro.
- Go to Your Gmail Account and then Sign in.
- On the right side of the Screen then you have to Click the Contacts icon.
- To Open a New Tab, Click (the icon looks like a Square with a Diagonal Arrow).
- Then click to Pick the Contacts you wish to Export only. If not then You can Move on to the Next action.
- Choose Export from the Menu on the Left.
- Click Selected Contacts to Export the Contacts you Selected, or Select Contacts to Export all Contacts.
- Go to Export and Choose then Google CSV.
- Choose Export. You will Search the File in Your Downloads Folder.
Launch QuickBooks Pro next, then follow the below steps:
- First, You have to Choose Options (the Gear icon).
- Choose Import Data and then You have to choose Customers.
- To Access the CSV Export File, Click Browse, then Choose it and Click Open and then Click Next.
- After Mapping Your Data, Choose Next. Fix Everything that Needs Fixing and then Select Import.
Another choice is to connect your Gmail account to QuickBooks so that you may access customers and suppliers without having to manually import or add them. Below are the steps mentioned that how it works:
- Choose a Transaction from the Create menu.
- Then you have to Select Add New Which is in the top Menu.
- Now Choose to Connect Your Gmail Account.
- To Allow the Application Access to Your Google Account you have to click Agree.
A Gmail contact can now be selected as a customer in any transaction.
Importing Outlook Customer Lists to QuickBooks Pro
Microsoft Outlook imports are accepted by QuickBooks Pro. To import you will create a CSV file, as with other tools. Look at the steps below:
- First, You have to Launch Outlook.
- Select Open and Export> Import/Export, from the File menu.
- Then Import Export Wizard will Appear on Your Screen.
- Now you have to Select Export to a File and then you have to Choose CSV as the File Type.
- Then you have to Save the File and Save its Location.
Next, You have to Launch QuickBooks Pro and then Follow the Below Steps:
- Begin by Selecting Settings.
- Then you have to Select Import Data and then Choose Customers.
- Now you have to Select Browse and then Go to the CSV Export File and then you have to click Open and then Select Next.
- You have to Map Your Data and then You have to Select Next. You have to Adjust Anything that is Required to be Fixed.
- At last, You have to Select Import.
Hopefully, Now you are able to import customers in QuickBooks. With this above blog, you will see each step that is helpful in importing customers into QuickBooks. In case you still face any issues related to this then you can call the Dancing Numbers team. The help desk team is available round the clock for their users.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-800-596-0806 or chat with experts.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
Are You Able to Import Customers into QuickBooks from Excel?
● You have to select Utilities from the file menu and then you have to Import and then Excel files.
● Then you have selected No., then select Advanced import on the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries.
Which File Types can be used to Import a Customer List in QuickBooks?
To import data into QuickBooks Online, you can use a CSV file (Comma Separated Values), Google Sheets, or an XLS/XLSX file.
How can You Import Customers from One Company to Another in QuickBooks?
● Start by signing in to QuickBooks Online Accountant as a master admin.
● Then you have to choose the Gear icon and then you have to select Transfer clients.
● In the Transfer to the section you have to review the profile and then you have to click Next.
● Now you have to go to the Transfer from section and then choose the profile that you want to move clients from and after this, click on Next.
Why to Map Accounts to Import Customer Lists into QuickBooks Pro?
By mapping the accounts it tells QuickBooks how to import the data from the Excel spreadsheet to QuickBooks. The headings of the column in the QuickBooks are different from the Excel sheet. You also have to match them correctly.
What if there is any issue while Importing the Customer List and I lost the Data already in my QuickBooks account?
In this case, you have to restore the backup that you have taken before starting the process to import the customer list into your QuickBooks Online account. Do restore the data properly and again try to import the customer list properly.
How to Add additional Customers if there are any missing customers in the Import Customer List to QuickBooks?
In this case, you can easily go back to the window import customer list and add the customers from Excel to QuickBooks account. So you can do this every time whenever you want to add any additional customers.