Are you considering transferring/migrating data from QuickBooks online to QuickBooks Desktop but you’re a bit confused or unsure of where and how to start with? So, don’t worry we’re here to help out with this blog that guides you through the process. However, QuickBooks Online and Desktop both are powerful tools but there are certain things you need to consider which help you to determine if your company is a good candidate for transferring or migration. Know how to Transfer/Migrate Data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop.
Dancing Numbers helps small businesses, entrepreneurs, and CPAs to do smart transferring of data to and from QuickBooks Desktop. Utilize import, export, and delete services of Dancing Numbers software.
Things Need to know Before Migrating Data from QuickBooks Online to Desktop
There are several variations in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop that could cause compatibility issues.
- Avoid exporting multi currency data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop because it may not display correctly.
- The latest version of QuickBooks desktop is ideal for minimizing compatibility problems.
- The migrations can be easily done with Internet Explorer.
Apart from these considerations, some QuickBooks Online records will be converted to their QuickBooks Desktop equivalent and some fields in QuickBooks Desktop will assume the default values. Before migrating make sure you familiarize yourself with the changes.
Transfer/Migrate Data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop with Easy Steps
The easiest ways to do this process is by using the Internet Explorer and use the export data wizard at Gear > Tools > Export Data. Let’s see in detailed,
Step 1: Set up Security Settings in Internet Explorer
Proper setup of Internet Explorer can help you to import everything smoothly. To do so, follow these steps:
- Initially, go to the Internet Explorer and make a right-click on it
- And then choose “Run as an Administration” option
- Next, go to the “Tools” icon and select “Internet” option
- Now, select “Security” and then “Trusted sites“
- After that, you have to choose the appropriate sites
- Enter *.intuit.com and *.qbo.intuit.com within the zone field named “Add this website“
- Make sure that you unchecked “Require server verification (https: ) for all sites in this zone” option
- Now, close the Trusted sites window
- Also make sure that the option named “Enable Protected Mode” is unchecked
- Once done with that then click on the “Apply” and then “Okay” button
- Let the Internet Explorer open.
Step 2: Set up QuickBooks Desktop for the Export
- The very first, go to the QuickBooks Desktop icon and then make a right-click on the same
- Next, select the “Run as an Administration“
- In any case, QuickBooks Desktop is not installed then you can download a trial to use for this process
- Now, go to the “File” menu and choose “Close Company” option
- Let the QuickBooks Desktop open while you complete the rest of the steps.
Step 3: Prepare to Export QuickBooks Online Data
- Firstly, go to the “Settings” and then select the “Export Data” option in QuickBooks online
- Next, type the reason for exporting data and then press the “Continue” option
- Now, choose the “Learn More” option in the “Moving to QuickBooks Desktop” section
- Again select the “Learn More” option in the “Download company Data” section
- After that, click on the “Get Started” button
- Choose the “Install ActiveX Control Now” option and then follow the instructions to install the same
- Once the installation completes then hit the “Continue” option
- Now, examine the limitations and then press the “Continue” option
- Enter the contact information and again press the “Continue” option.
When your data is ready to export you will receive an email. This normally takes a few minutes but for companies with many transactions it may take up to 2 hours.
Step 4: Finish the Exporting Process of Your Data
- Now, start processing in QuickBooks Online. You need to repeat a few steps to get back to the export page.
- Go to the Settings and then select “Export Data” option in QuickBooks Online
- You have to repeat steps 2 to 5 from steps 3
- Next, select the “Continue to download” on the exporting from QuickBooks Online page
Now, switch over to QuickBooks Desktop
- Make sure that you’re on the screen of “No Company Open” in QuickBooks Desktop
- If you have a company file open then go to File and then select the Close company option
- Again go back in QuickBooks Online and choose the Download option
- Choose the location to save your file within the Save your company file window
- Select the location other than the Windows Desktop
- Once the download process completes then select the “Convert Now” option
- Enter a new name for the file in the “Create a new QuickBooks file” window
- And then choose the location to save it
- Pick a location on your local computer and not a network or external drive
- Once the export is done then clicks on the “Finished” option.
Important Note: It is quite possible that it took some time to finish the process. Even if it looks like its frozen then it doesn’t mean that the export has failed. Give some time or a few minutes after that you can see that the progress bar will move again.
In case, if the status bar doesn’t appear to move
- You need to check out the QuickBooks Desktop for an Application Certificate
- Click on the QuickBooks icon to open it in your Windows Taskbar
- And then you can the “Application Certificate” appears
- Select the “Yes, prompt each time” checkbox on the Application Certificate
- And then press the “Continue” option
- Select the Done button in the confirmation window.
Step 5: In the Final Step, You have to Verify the Exported information Correctly
Use the Profit and Loss report after exporting your company to ensure your books match. Run one in QuickBooks Online and compare it to QuickBooks Desktop with the same data.
So, the above-discussed is the complete process that you can follow to migrate/transfer data from QuickBooks online to QuickBooks Desktop.
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.