The introduction of a number of new features into Microsoft’s SQL server has occurred throughout the course of the previous few releases. Although not all users will find these features required, many may want to utilize the more lightweight SQL Server Express as a replacement for them. In this post, you will learn how to install SQL express as well as the many methods of downloading it.
What is SQL Server Express and How does it Work?
SQL Server Express is a free edition of Microsoft’s SQL Server database management system. Because of its limitations, this version only supports a maximum database size of 10 GB and does not include SQL Server Agent functionality. As a result, it is best suited for data-driven applications that are lightweight in nature.
What are the Ways to Install SQL Express?
The steps in the following article will walk you through the process of installing and testing your SQL Server Express database server.
Step 1: SQL Server Express may be Downloaded from the Microsoft Website
- To learn more about SQL Server Express, go to the SQL Server Express download page on the official Microsoft website.
- By scrolling down the page, you will be able to find the Express edition of SQL Server 2019.
- The download will begin as soon as you choose Download now from the drop-down menu.
Step 2: Run the Installation Program
- As soon as the download is complete, you may start using it.
- Open📂 the downloads folder📂 on your computer.
- Look for the installation file that was included in the package.
- By double-clicking on the file, the installation process will be initiated.
Step 3: Select the kind of Installation to be performed
- Following the commencement of the installation procedure, you will have the option to pick between three different installation options.
- Installing SQL Server🖥️ Database Engine with the Basic installation method is the fastest and installing the default setup.
- The Custom installation option gives you the option of specifying the installation site. It also allows you to choose which features are loaded on your computer.
- The Download Media installation option allows you to download the setup files 🗄️for an offline installation to your computer.
- You have the option of selecting the SQL Server 🖥️ Engine version that you wish to download.
- For this tutorial, the Custom installation type will be used. To choose this option, click on the tile in the middle of the screen.
- Select the installation folder 📂 and then click Install to begin downloading the setup files to your computer.
- This procedure might take a long time, depending on your internet connection speed.
Step 4: Follow the Screens to Install SQL Server🖥️ Express
As soon as the process has finished downloading the installation package, it will launch the SQL Server Installation Center on your computer. This window provides access to a variety of tools that may be used to set up and administer your SQL server.
- To begin the installation process, choose either the New SQL Server stand-alone installation or the Add features to an existing installation option from the drop-down menu.
- Detailed information on the SQL Express Server🖥️ licensing terms may be found in the following.
- For the following step, choose I agree with the license terms and the Privacy Statement from the drop-down menu and then click Next to continue.
- Select the checkbox next to Check for updates using Microsoft Update to ensure that updates for SQL Server 2019 are included in the regularly scheduled Windows updates.
- To proceed, click the Next button.
- The Install Rules screen aids in the identification of possible difficulties throughout the installation process.
- Before you can continue with the installation, you must resolve any items that have a Failed status on them.
- If there are no rejected entries, go to the next step by clicking Next.
- Fill in the blanks in the Features section of the Feature Selection screen to specify which aspects of SQL Server 🖥️ 2019 should be installed and where they should be installed in the installation directory.
- To proceed, click🖱️ the Next button.
- The Instance Configuration page allows you to select between the default instance names and custom instance names that you have created.
- For the sake of this tutorial, we will choose the Named instance option and will leave the default recommended names in place.
- To proceed, click the Next button.
- Installation of Java using the existing installation or specifying a path if it is already installed are both options available on the next page.
- Now, click 🖱️the Next button.
- It is possible to configure the authentication mode for your SQL server from the Database Engine Configuration panel.
- When we utilize Mixed Mode in this lesson, we are also adding the current user as an administrator, which is a good thing.
- Click🖱️ the Next button.
- The permission windows for Microsoft R Open 📂and Python, which follow, will ask you to confirm that you want to install them.
- To proceed, choose to Accept and Next from the drop-down menus.
- When the installation is complete, a new screen appears that provides an overview of the features that have been added.
- To complete the installation, click the Finish button.
Step 5: Verify that the Connection to SQL Server Express is Working
To test your connection to SQL Server Express, you may use one of the following methods:
- The action will be carried out using the SQL Server Management Studio.
- As an illustration, consider the command prompt.
- To begin, download the SQL Server Management Studio from the Microsoft website. Scroll down to the Download SSMS section and click on the link that is given.
- Open 📂the installation file 🗄️and click install to start the setup.
- Once the configuration is complete, click Close to close the window.
- Connect to your database by launching SQL Server Management Studio and selecting it as the target.
- Select the SQL Server Authentication option in the login box.
- Log in using the default Login and the password you created during the SQL Server 2019 installation.
- To attempt to establish a connection with the server, click Connect.
- A successful connection is indicated if the login window closes without error.
- You may access the SQL Server Management Studio’s main window without any further action being required.
- Using the following commands at the command prompt will allow you to test the connection to the server in another manner.
We hope the above article is really helpful for you to know more about SQL Express Installation. The procedure is a bit time-consuming but you have to follow the procedure to get it done smoothly on your own. In case you are facing any issues or are stuck in between while implementing the solution contact the Dancing Numbers team. The team is happy to assist you as quickly as possible with the installation of SQL express.
Accounting Professionals, CPA, Enterprises, Owners
Looking for a professional expert to get the right assistance for your problems? Here, we have a team of professional and experienced team members to fix your technical, functional, data transfer, installation, update, upgrade, or data migrations errors. We are here at Dancing Numbers available to assist you with all your queries. To fix these queries you can get in touch with us via a toll-free number
+1-347-428-6831 or chat with experts.
What is the Best Way to Update SQL Server Express?
The procedure of updating SQL Server Express is quite similar to the process of installing the program from the beginning. Upgrade from SQL Server older version to the newer version is shown below:
Choosing the option to upgrade from a prior version of SQL Server is done via the SQL Server Installation Center window.
Once the installer has finished searching for online updates, click🖱️ Next to proceed.
To proceed, check the box next to I accept the licensing terms and the Privacy Statement and then click Next to proceed with the process.
From the drop-down menu, choose the SQL Server instance that needs to be updated
Then click Next to proceed.
Confirm your agreement to the installation of Microsoft R Open 📂and Python by clicking Accept and then Next on the next two pages.
To proceed with the upgrade, click Next on the Server Configuration page.
The Full-text Upgrade screen provides you with a variety of alternatives for updating your full-text databases.
Select the Rebuild option and then press the Next button.
Click Close to close the update window after the update has been completed.
What is the Procedure for Uninstalling SQL Server Express?
Starting from the Start menu.
Go to Settings⚙️.
Then click on Apps and locate the item for Microsoft SQL Server 2019 on the program list.
To remove SQL Server Express.
Follow the steps outlined above.
Uninstall the program by selecting it and clicking Uninstall.
Remove should be selected from the uninstall window in step 3.
From the drop-down option, choose the SQL instance that you wish to delete.
To proceed, click the Next button.
Select the features that you wish to remove from your computer.
To make certain that all of the features have been removed.
Click the Select All option, then click Next to proceed.
The next screen provides a high-level summary of the functionality that will be eliminated.
To begin the removal procedure, choose Remove from the drop-down menu.
Once the removal procedure has been completed, click Close to close the uninstall window and close the program.