Convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online in 7 Steps
Managing your business can be a tricky thing. As your business evolves with newly developed technologies, making a shift from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online can bring in many advancements to your business. Choosing an accounting software which fits your requirements and lets you manage your financial information on your terms is important. QuickBooks Online gives you a platform which provides you an enhanced accessibility, allows collaboration, with streamlined financial management. So if you are considering a shift from Desktop to Online, you are on the right path. We will provide you all the information that you need:
Discover if your conversion is possible and what it costs. Get your quote!
Are You Ready for the Conversion Process?
Before you start with the conversion process, check if you are actually prepared for it. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection and the system meets the basic requirements for QuickBooks Online. Moreover, backup all of your data. This is one of the most crucial steps before starting the conversion process. In case, something goes wrong in the conversion process, at least your data can be retrieved back.
How is QuickBooks Online Beneficial?
If you are already on the path of conversion of Desktop to Online, then it’s only right that you understand the benefits of QuickBooks Online. For a smooth transition, it is important for you to understand how QuickBooks Online is going to benefit you. With this shift you are not just migrating an accounting software, this is your chance to bring in new features and ideas for your business.
Advantages of QuickBooks Online
- Accessible: Anytime, Anywhere
- Real Time Collaboration
- Automated updates
- Bank Integration and Automatic Transaction Downloads
- Data Security & Backups
- Customize Invoices & Reports
- Expense Tracking & Receipt Capture
- Automatic Tax Calculations
- Integrations with Third party apps
- Multi-Currency Support
- Mobile Apps for On-the-go Management
Checklist: Before QuickBooks Data Migration Process
- Use the features of QuickBooks Online to analyze and match your needs.
- While the software includes certain advanced features like complex sales ordering, batch transaction processing, advanced inventory, or the average cost for inventory, among others, the QB Online edition has limited features.
- In QuickBooks Online you can follow strict character limitations. Therefore, change your files right away if they don’t follow the QuickBooks Online naming guidelines.
- Before converting your company file, you can use QuickBooks Desktop version 2016 or later. Update your information for previous versions and download the latest version.
- To find out the version of QuickBooks Desktop you are using right now, open the program and use the F2 or Ctrl + 1 keys on your computer. After that, the Product Information Window will be displayed to you. To upgrade QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version, you have to choose Update Now from the Help menu here.
- Make sure you run your reports and payroll data in advance because the payroll data might not convert automatically.
- You have 60 days from the date of account creation to use “database conversion services” to convert files from your PC into QB Online accounts. In case you are unable to convert during the first sixty days, you will need to close your QuickBooks Online account and open a new one.
- You can fix any errors in your QuickBooks Desktop inventory is a must for moving on with the QuickBooks conversion. It will help you from losing data.
How We Help You Convert To QuickBooks
It can be intimidating to convert your ERP system or accounting software. Depending on how long you have been in business, you may have many GB of data, and it’s possible that QuickBooks and your current accounting software don’t work together perfectly. Don’t worry if the QuickBooks converting tools are unclear. Professionals will safely and securely migrate your data, saving you time and headaches
You will have a dedicated conversion consultant working for Dancing Numbers who will evaluate your particular situation, decide which QuickBooks items you’ll require, and collaborate with you to create a phased conversion plan. Also, you have full-time programmers who will take care of your historical data’s export, cleaning, and import. Following the conversion, your team will receive thorough training on the new system, and you will be assisted in setting up productive procedures that let you make the most of your new system.
1 Determine the Products Needed
Your personal QuickBooks Conversion Specialist will take the time to get to know your company and its present setup. You will learn the precise requirements your team has for an accounting system and which QuickBooks products you will require. This may involve QuickBooks Enterprise, Field Service Management, Payroll, or Point-of-Sale.
2 Template File Setup
In order to achieve this, it is necessary to create the appropriate procedures that will make QuickBooks fit your company like a glove and guarantee that we can seamlessly import all of the data from your current accounting system. You might want to perform double entry during this brief period in both your old system and the new QuickBooks file. You can collect information, such as accounts payable and receivable reports, P&L, monthly balance sheets, and any other data that has to be converted to QuickBooks.
3 Go Live and Train Your Team
To ensure that your business effectively switches over to the new software, training your workforce is essential. To ensure that your team is knowledgeable about using your new system, you will have training. More than 200 training videos are on the website since Dancing Numbers is known for its training and wants all QuickBooks users to be successful, even if they aren’t our clients.
4 Close and Review The Books
This procedure enables you to determine whether you require any more information or monthly reports in order to run your business. It will be thoroughly double-checked to make sure that everything you need is imported because frequently we don’t know which information is important until we no longer have access. We will transfer any more files from your previous system to QuickBooks if they need to be moved.
5 Follow Up and Maintenance
You will be given a month or two to use the QuickBooks program before checking in to see how things are doing. We will strive to stop any problems before they start if you are having any. Also, we will retrieve any features or data that were left in your legacy system. In order to keep you on track, we also recommend continuing monthly or quarterly closing services. The main goal is to ensure that you use your accounting software to its full potential.
The Dancing Numbers Commitment
Built on Trust
We make sure that the conversion of your most important business history is flawless and correct. You have to feel confident in the proper migration of all historical data to the new system.
You have to speed up the time to conversion. Reduce time spent working on two systems at once and do away with double entering. Make sure your system is configured properly, that all tables and databases are operational, and that your bank accounts are linked properly.
Support and Training
Get custom training for your entire staff, including the leadership. Take full advantage of QuickBooks. You will be demonstrated how to use the 150+ pre-built reports and generate custom reports specific to your company.
QuickBooks can be made more powerful by adding custom modules, marketplace apps, or open API. Our developers will integrate, install, and customize solutions to your business processes.
You may rely on our professionals to troubleshoot and optimize for consistently excellent performance if you ever feel that your new QuickBooks system is slow or not performing as planned.
Keep Your Past Records
Rest assured that all crucial business historical data will be transferred accurately to the new system, ensuring its seamless integration.
Converting Data from QuickBooks Desktop to Online
To guarantee a seamless and precise conversion, there are multiple steps involved in moving data from Kashflow to QuickBooks. You might think about taking the following general steps:
Step 1: Create a QuickBooks Online Account
Now to start with your conversion process, you’ll need a QuickBooks Online account. To get your own account, reach out to the official QuickBooks website and select the plan that aligns with your business needs. The onboarding process seems easy with all the easy steps it has. Getting your QuickBooks Online account is now a user-friendly process.
Step 2: Export Your QuickBooks Desktop Data
It is a stated fact that your financial data is the most crucial part of your business, and you want to export it seamlessly. In QuickBooks Desktop, go to ‘company’ and select ‘Export company file to QuickBooks Online’. Follow all the given steps to export your data. QuickBooks will guide you through the processes of preparing your data to move. Because of QuickBooks Desktop’s user-friendly interface, there won’t be any problem.
Step 3: Import Data Into QuickBooks Online
Now here is the tricky and interesting part, import your data into QuickBooks Online. Log into your QuickBooks Online account, go to settings and select ‘Import Data’. Follow all the step by step instructions to import your data into QuickBooks Online. Your exported data from QuickBooks Desktop will be easily imported to QuickBooks Online without any backlogs. QuickBooks Online will sort and manage all the data on its own.
Step 4: Verify and Reconcile Transactions
Once the import is done, it’s always advised to double-check if all your transactions made the journey successfully. To ensure accuracy of your data, take advantage of QuickBooks Online’s reconciliation tools. This will help you in seeing if all your data got imported or not. The step is crucial because it ensures your financial records align with your bank statements.
Step 5: Explore the new features and tools
Once you have completed all these steps, you are now a QuickBooks Online user. Take some time to explore all the additional features and tools available. Learn all about the dashboard, reports and customization options. QuickBooks Online is a software designed to be intuitive so you feel free to experiment and make that platform work for you.
Step 6: Train Your team
In your business, if you have a team that manages your finances, make sure that your team knows about the new system. Even though QuickBooks Online is easy to use, it is still important for you to learn about all the new management that there is. QuickBooks Online offers collaborative features so understand how it works and plan accordingly.
Step 7: Enjoy the Flexibility
One of the biggest advantages of using QuickBooks Online is the flexibility it offers. Enjoy the freedom of accessibility anytime from anywhere. It doesn’t matter if you are in the office, home, or out of the country, everything is with you in your laptop.
Step 8: Take Help When Required
Migrating to a whole new accounting software is a big deal and this sudden shift can bring in some questions. QuickBooks offers extensive support resources, which includes tutorials and forums. Do not hesitate when you are in need of help.
Migrating from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online is not just a matter of technological upgrade but also a strategic move to expand the growth of your business. With all the new changes and possibilities, your business can have a massive growth and reach to new heights.
Convert To QuickBooks From
System Requirements for a Successful Data Migration
The minimum requirements of the system for the migration of data from KashFlow data to QuickBooks are explained followed:
1 Operating System
Any one window from any of the three windows i.e Window 8, Window 10, Window 11.
2 Memory (RAM)
Minimum required Random Access Memory is 512 MB.
3 Microsoft .NET Framework
Minimum Version 2.0 is the requirement of the system for the data conversion
Minimum requirement of the processor is 500 MHz Intel Pentium II.
5 Hard Drive
Minimum required available space in the hard drive is 2.5GB.
6 QuickBooks Desktop
Choose any one from four of the QuickBooks Desktop that is QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Primer, and QuickBooks Enterprise 16 or higher.
A Trusted Partner Familiar with Your Business and Industry
Our team of consultants at Dancing Numbers has extensive experience working with numerous businesses across various industries. We specialize in customizing QuickBooks and ERP systems to meet the specific requirements of each industry. Whether you own a small retail store, manage an international manufacturing business, operate a residential construction company, practice law, run a software company, or oversee a rapidly expanding nonprofit organization, we have encountered and successfully addressed similar challenges before. Count on us to provide the assistance you need.
What Our Customer Says !
For businesses looking to switch their accounting software, Dancing Numbers provide reliable and efficient solution for Great Plains to QuickBooks conversion service. We highly recommend it for a hassle-free switch.
Gary T. Will
In order to provide a seamless data transfer and smooth transition from Great Plains to QuickBooks, Dancing Numbers offers a reliable and efficient conversion service.
The team at Dancing Numbers provides excellent Great Plains to QuickBooks conversion services. They are knowledgeable, efficient, and provide top-notch customer service. I highly recommend them.
Essential considerations before beginning with data conversion
- Analyze your requirements and match them up with QuickBooks Online’s features before starting the conversion. The QuickBooks Online version might not have everything you need. Also, QuickBooks Online can significantly change how you handle your clients, projects, and workflow. Complex Sales Ordering, sophisticated Inventory, Batch transaction Processing, or Average Cost for Inventory are among the advanced features that are not available in QuickBooks Online.
- QuickBooks Online has tight character limitations. So, if your files don’t follow the QuickBooks Online naming standards, rename them.
- You will have up to 60 days after creating a QuickBooks Online account to convert your files from your PC once you begin using the database conversion services. You will need to terminate your QuickBooks Online account and open a new one if you can’t convert within the first 60 days.
- Please make sure you have QuickBooks Desktop version 2016 or later before converting your company file. You will need to update your information for older versions and download the most recent version. Press F2 or Ctrl + 1 when QuickBooks Desktop is open to find out the version of QuickBooks Desktop you are presently using. The Product Information Window will appear. Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version by selecting Update Now from the Help menu.
- Make sure you run your payroll reports and data in advance because it’s possible that the payroll data won’t convert automatically.
- Before moving further with the QuickBooks conversion, fix any errors in your QB Desktop inventory. Loss of data will be prevented.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Possible to use both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online cannot be used for the same business. There is no compatibility between QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online as they are two different platforms.
What is the Reason behind the sudden shift from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online?
The main reason why businesses switch to QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop is because it is more cost-effective for larger user bases. They also desire seamless team collaboration, remote access to company files, and integration of their accounting software with other third-party programs.
Is moving from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online worth it?
Yes, Particularly if you prioritize integration with other apps, cloud access, and pricing. Before transferring your data, be sure you understand the distinctions between QuickBooks Desktop and Online because it does have certain limits.